Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    And all of the alien species are already friends...that scene when Sarek showed up with the Orion and other Superfriends? It just doesn't make sense.

The whole Zefram Cochrane part of history creating warp drive and the first meeting with the first aliens being Vulcans just gets obliterated in this series.

Did you know the character of Zefram Cochrane first appeared in a 1967 episode of the original series? And he was the inventor of warp drive who helped unite the universe?
    Boy, talk about a canonical idea holding until one of the movies...30 years later, wisely continues with it

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    I love TOS, of course I knew that

It was the TOS episode Metamorphosis, and yes, they held right on to that part of the canon all the way until....Discovery

I just don't understand the need for them to obliterate EVERYTHING from the canon. I mean, do they think throwing the names of Capt Pike, the USS Defiant, showing the Enterprise, things like that will make people forgive the way they have trashed every bit of canon that stretched from the original TOS episode all the way through every film up until the "re-imagined" films of the past few years?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The Orion and the other Superfriends

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-05-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    So... skip this?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So... skip this?
    Depends, as far as trying to be a Star Trek series, a prequel to TOS even, it's a fucking mess. Both Hal and I agree that it's just awful

But, you can watch it and see what you think. But it starts being awful right from the get go

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh, I can't believe I forgot to bring this up....the whole cloaking technology that the Klingons supposedly had in this 'prequel'. Cannon says that the first group to have cloaking technology were the Romulans as seen in TOS episode Balance of Terror. Then later on, the Klingons gained cloaking tech from the Romulans.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    For me it was the jump drive tech that really pissed on the old canonical ideas.

Throughout every series, they had warp 1-9, often saying warp 10 is impossible and then edging up to it every now and then.

It gave us viewers the idea that there are limits and at certain speeds the ships become unstable.

Discovery appears and says - Hey, forget about that warp stuff. We can teleport the ship now so speed and dilithium crystals and the warp engines themselves can be ignored

*Mr Scott rolls over in his grave with a howl*

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Agree with that 100%. We were always told that the starships couldn't withstand the stress of speeds in excess of a certain number as well. In the TOS episode The Changeling with Nomad, I believe he 'modified' the Enterprise's warp drive to hit speeds of greater than warp 10 (it might have gotten as high as 13 or 14 and Mr Scott when informed of it said that was impossible) and Kirk told Nomad that the ship would be torn apart from the stress.

Yet the Discovery can just do it's stupid ballerina twist and vanish and reappear thousands of light years away (or even in a parallel universe) with no adverse effects.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Lance, you'd love this Discovery podcast comment section I frequent. The host pairs up with various people who know Star Trek inside and out. One person likes TOS, one person like Enterprise, etc.

All of them have a good working knowledge of every series and talk about people getting offended over non canonical ideas

After bitching for about five episodes, they'll settle in and try to just enjoy where Discovery is going and treat it like a new sci-fi show.

I try not to be 'that guy' and bring up every old and accepted idea that Discovery has pissed on. I did however make a list during an argument with some snowflake and got some laughs and likes from the crowd

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Agree with that 100%. We were always told that the starships couldn't withstand the stress of speeds in excess of a certain number as well. In the TOS episode The Changeling with Nomad, I believe he 'modified' the Enterprise's warp drive to hit speeds of greater than warp 10 (it might have gotten as high as 13 or 14 and Mr Scott when informed of it said that was impossible) and Kirk told Nomad that the ship would be torn apart from the stress.

Yet the Discovery can just do it's stupid ballerina twist and vanish and reappear thousands of light years away (or even in a parallel universe) with no adverse effects.
    I imagine 1800 people throwing up every time I see that

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-06-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Lance, you'd love this Discovery podcast comment section I frequent. The host pairs up with various people who know Star Trek inside and out. One person likes TOS, one person like Enterprise, etc.

All of them have a good working knowledge of every series and talk about people getting offended over non canonical ideas

After bitching for about five episodes, they'll settle in and try to just enjoy where Discovery is going and treat it like a new sci-fi show.

I try not to be 'that guy' and bring up every old and accepted idea that Discovery has pissed on. I did however make a list during an argument with some snowflake and got some laughs and likes from the crowd
    It would be one thing if it stretched the existing canon a bit or just kind of ignore a little bit of it here and there, but for a show that directly bills itself as a prequel to TOS that happens a mere 10 years prior to TOS, they completely obliterate EVERYTHING canonical about Star Trek.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It would be one thing if it stretched the existing canon a bit or just kind of ignore a little bit of it here and there, but for a show that directly bills itself as a prequel to TOS that happens a mere 10 years prior to TOS, they completely obliterate EVERYTHING canonical about Star Trek.
    And the real elephant in the room...

DID YOU KNOW that Spock has a half sister and she is black???

Through all of the series and all of the movies, Sarek and Amanda never said a word. Cheeky monkeys..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    And the real elephant in the room...

DID YOU KNOW that Spock has a half sister and she is black???

Through all of the series and all of the movies, Sarek and Amanda never said a word. Cheeky monkeys..
    Yup, you think something like that would have come up at least once throughout all of Star Trek history. But not even a hint of a mention of it. And Spock had no problem talking about his mother or his father.

And the whole thing too about Sarek's demeanor in Discovery versus the rest of Trek canon. In TOS, Sarek completely resented Spock because he joined Star Fleet because Sarek was a complete and total pacifist and he hated the militaristic undertones of Star Fleet. In that he never wavered....that is until Discovery where he became all "shoot first and ask questions later" and "nuke the Klingon home world from the inside".

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yup, you think something like that would have come up at least once throughout all of Star Trek history. But not even a hint of a mention of it. And Spock had no problem talking about his mother or his father.

And the whole thing too about Sarek's demeanor in Discovery versus the rest of Trek canon. In TOS, Sarek completely resented Spock because he joined Star Fleet because Sarek was a complete and total pacifist and he hated the militaristic undertones of Star Fleet. In that he never wavered....that is until Discovery where he became all "shoot first and ask questions later" and "nuke the Klingon home world from the inside".

Shoot first and nuke the Klingons...couldn't agree more about Sarek's heel turn in this series.

And that whole Vulcan Hello premise seems so far away from the tenets of Vulcan philosophy in general. Not to mention - A Klingon ship gets fired on first and they just sit there and say - Hmm, I guess they showed us. Let's stand down and show them the proper amount of respect

Riiight!!! Those Klingons would be firing rocks back along with their normal arsenal

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You know, I agree with you about not wanting to be 'that guy' and I actually went into the series with a fairly open mind, but from as soon as the series starts, the just piss on everything that is Star Trek.