Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Oh, don't worry, there was still some of the Spock and Burnham and Red Angel stuff going on as well. The episode was all over the place.

Discovery was going to Section 31 HQ anyway so that the female admiral could do something for some reason, and when they get there (it's the site of an old penal colony) it's surrounded by these 'mines' that are attracted to shielding, so they have to go in with shields down and these mines end up looking like circular saw that can slice the hull open like it was nothing. And in fact they show one of the mines slicing down the hull of the saucer section and you know what becomes of what should have been catastrophic damage?

Absolutely nothing.
    Thanks for the update/summary. Happy I missed it

I watched the Last Jedi and listened to two podcasts afterwards. One podcast had people that loved it, second one was this guy who ranted and listed his issues with it.

Without spoilers there's a whole plotline in the movie that can easily be removed and some components within it make no sense.

I imagined for a second the movie without that section and characters, and the guy was right Could have cut almost 30 minutes from a Star Wars movie without it being problematic.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Thanks for the update/summary. Happy I missed it

I watched the Last Jedi and listened to two podcasts afterwards. One podcast had people that loved it, second one was this guy who ranted and listed his issues with it.

Without spoilers there's a whole plotline in the movie that can easily be removed and some components within it make no sense.

I imagined for a second the movie without that section and characters, and the guy was right Could have cut almost 30 minutes from a Star Wars movie without it being problematic.
    Come on, you know you want to watch it...at least finish out the season with me. You know you want to

I have no real desire to see any of the newest Star Wars movies.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Come on, you know you want to watch it...at least finish out the season with me. You know you want to

I have no real desire to see any of the newest Star Wars movies.
    The Force Awakens and Last Jedi have their moments. During last Jedi I counted things the director decided to ignore/redo/change and when it got to about nine, I thought - Ok, this will never be like the original series with directors who have no respect for the original material

And no I don't have an urge to watch Discovery ...but will continue I guess so we can crucify it together in the thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's at this point I'm going to remind you that you quit watching Lost halfway through season two, the very point everything interesting starts happening...and that Lost was a show enjoyed by millions of people and makes top 10 lists frequently for best TV series...in the history of TV

this is a sacrifice for me

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's at this point I'm going to remind you that you quit watching Lost halfway through season two, the very point everything interesting starts happening...and that Lost was a show enjoyed by millions of people and makes top 10 lists frequently for best TV series...in the history of TV

this is a sacrifice for me
    I think it was halfway through season 1? Maybe it was 2

Mostly because that was back in the day of downloading individual episodes and bandwidth restrictions and things became tedious for something that I didn't care THAT much about at the time

And it's at this point that I will remind you that I felt the same about TNG and I am giving that another chance now that there are so many streaming options available

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think it was halfway through season 1? Maybe it was 2

Mostly because that was back in the day of downloading individual episodes and bandwidth restrictions and things became tedious for something that I didn't care THAT much about at the time

And it's at this point that I will remind you that I felt the same about TNG and I am giving that another chance now that there are so many streaming options available
    The Lost debacle has no equal, don't even try

Yeah there's a fckton of episodes ...because it was still during the golden time of 22 or 26 episodes per season. I'm telling you man, once you see what happens after they meet the character of Benjamin Linus, it becomes one of the most interesting and at times emotional TV series that I've watched.

I think I have a folder with all six seasons and they were supposed to be some form of ghetto HD...and that folder is over 80 bloody gigs

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And those days when you were trying to find the entire season and couldn't find links for all the episodes, and then when you did find the episodes you were missing, one of the six links the episodes were broken up into would be dead and you didn't find that out until you downloaded the other five links and that all ended up counting against your bandwidth quota. Or that you couldn't find it on a host that you had a premium account for and if you tried to download it as a free user it would download at like 2.3 kbps and would take approximately 16 weeks to download each of the six links you needed for the episode.

I don't miss those days

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And those days when you were trying to find the entire season and couldn't find links for all the episodes, and then when you did find the episodes you were missing, one of the six links the episodes were broken up into would be dead and you didn't find that out until you downloaded the other five links and that all ended up counting against your bandwidth quota. Or that you couldn't find it on a host that you had a premium account for and if you tried to download it as a free user it would download at like 2.3 kbps and would take approximately 16 weeks to download each of the six links you needed for the episode.

I don't miss those days

Yeah, but when you got a series of desired episodes or a movie it was like ascending the summit at Everest.

I got the whole series of BSG in supposed HD. You know, the type of HD where the encoder just cranked up the color and contrast levels so it looked really...saturated?

And what's worse is I tried to check out a few old episodes recently because I store them on a old external harddrive. It appeared that subtitles were hard coded into every episode of BSG. Took a while going through player settings etc only to discover that I can right click on the old codec symbol that would appear in your taskbar when viewing and shut off the subtitles there

I screwed up Game of Thrones because I had found all of the episodes including season 4 at relatively good quality, then started watching streaming versions from season 5 onward. Then I tried to find downloadable versions like in the old days and experienced some bad, dodgy sites. I kinda forgot about needing a paid account at an uploaders site and all of the crap that goes with it that you're talking about

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well, at least Burnham's giant ego finally got called out. In the chess scene she actually stands up emoting pure hostility over the fact Spock isn't making the chess moves she thought practical. Spock even says - And if I moved my pawn that would of helped guide me to the answer I seek? I do like the Spock actor. He seems to have this low level constant fury thing going. And who wouldn't trying to cope with bad actor-Burnham as your sister.

Production fully admits to writing episodes from a SJW perspective, lots of confirmation in articles on the net. And boy did I notice some of the undertones in this episode. During the scene on the bridge with the Admiral and Pike, twice he attempts to be kind and defer command to her and gets publicly rebuked both times. He even tilts his head down a little the second time.

I don't mind diversity and balance being integrated into TV, after all the original intent of the Star Trek Universe was that all races and genders live and work in harmony with equality. Discovery tips the scale too far over the other way. Scenes with five women from the bridge whom we've never seen interact socially before are the focus of the episode. Saru and Pike seem like apologetic backstops for the NCC Estrogen - 1701. If Georgiou and the Admiral are there, they could have a bridge scene with all women flying the ship. The NCC Can'tbackintoaparkingspace - 1701.

Plot clarification. So the big ball of knowledge was really all of the AI in the universe and now it wants to get transferred to an old penal colony/ Section 31 base? Which is actually defunct because everyone there has been dead for two weeks. The AI wants to wipe out all sentient life and the red angel is here to help us.

Spock had a Hitleresque moment - 'It wants to destroy all sentient life. All of the humans and Vulcans in the known universe.' How about the other 50 races Spock you damn racist!

Near the end Airiam did have a line accusing Burnham of being the cause of this problem or something to that affect. And in the preview for next week someone says Burnham is committing mutiny again. I'm glad they're finally acknowledging that little insignificant bit of her past.

The group girl bonding scenes from this episode demonstrate one of the faults of this show. There's no chemistry between any of the actors and relationships seemed forced. TNG and Voyager may seem dated and have the odd clunker of an episode, but at least the casts worked well with each other and made things seem believable. Discovery is finishing season 2 and still seems to be switching up cast members and writing corrective exposition after the fact. You can't sit back as a viewer and let it wash over you because you're always trying to figure out the events and logic within the show.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Other than a few characters on this show, they do very little character development of any kind. Then we have the whole Airium arc this past episode and at the end, when she dies, they make t seem like this VERY sad and devastating event and they even fade out with her replaying a memory with no music and just the sound of the beach from her "favorite memory" as Tilly put it. And we're supposed to be filled with infinite sadness over all of this.

How are you supposed to feel upset or sad or anything over a character that you barely know?
    I know. It's bloody appalling actually.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The Force Awakens and Last Jedi have their moments. During last Jedi I counted things the director decided to ignore/redo/change and when it got to about nine, I thought - Ok, this will never be like the original series with directors who have no respect for the original material

And no I don't have an urge to watch Discovery ...but will continue I guess so we can crucify it together in the thread

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Another thing to add. The 3rd gal on the base (whom we have had no opportunity to get to know either) gets knocked out and is slowly suffocating to death and in the whole 5 minutes Burnham is flapping about trying to decide whether or not to save robo-girl's life, she doesn't even check on the other gal once, despite being only a few metres away from her

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I know. It's bloody appalling actually.
    It's like if you grew up with Star Trek, and you had watched the whole TOS and then Star Trek The Motion Picture, you knew these characters, you were invested in them because they all had their characters developed during the show. So when Wrath of Khan came out and Spock died to save the ship and everyone else, it was like a punch in the gut because it was like it was someone you knew.

Then Discovery comes along and they play the Airium death like it was some super close family member yet you didn't know anything at all about her for a season and a half and even now know very little about her, and you are supposed top feel devastated? So stupid.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019), lost in melb. (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Another thing to add. The 3rd gal on the base (whom we have had no opportunity to get to know either) gets knocked out and is slowly suffocating to death and in the whole 5 minutes Burnham is flapping about trying to decide whether or not to save robo-girl's life, she doesn't even check on the other gal once, despite being only a few metres away from her
    Yup, another very fringe person that all we really know about her is that she came aboard Discovery with Pike and she needs those things to breathe. That's absolutely ALL we know about her. But as she's slowly suffocating, you're supposed to feel bad for her I guess, even though she's got the same amount of back story as the Red Shirts on TOS that would beam down with the landing party and get killed mere seconds after they materialize

And of course Burnham ignored her, it's all about Burnham

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019), lost in melb. (03-19-2019)