Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Well, at least Burnham's giant ego finally got called out. In the chess scene she actually stands up emoting pure hostility over the fact Spock isn't making the chess moves she thought practical. Spock even says - And if I moved my pawn that would of helped guide me to the answer I seek? I do like the Spock actor. He seems to have this low level constant fury thing going. And who wouldn't trying to cope with bad actor-Burnham as your sister.

Production fully admits to writing episodes from a SJW perspective, lots of confirmation in articles on the net. And boy did I notice some of the undertones in this episode. During the scene on the bridge with the Admiral and Pike, twice he attempts to be kind and defer command to her and gets publicly rebuked both times. He even tilts his head down a little the second time.

I don't mind diversity and balance being integrated into TV, after all the original intent of the Star Trek Universe was that all races and genders live and work in harmony with equality. Discovery tips the scale too far over the other way. Scenes with five women from the bridge whom we've never seen interact socially before are the focus of the episode. Saru and Pike seem like apologetic backstops for the NCC Estrogen - 1701. If Georgiou and the Admiral are there, they could have a bridge scene with all women flying the ship. The NCC Can'tbackintoaparkingspace - 1701.

Plot clarification. So the big ball of knowledge was really all of the AI in the universe and now it wants to get transferred to an old penal colony/ Section 31 base? Which is actually defunct because everyone there has been dead for two weeks. The AI wants to wipe out all sentient life and the red angel is here to help us.

Spock had a Hitleresque moment - 'It wants to destroy all sentient life. All of the humans and Vulcans in the known universe.' How about the other 50 races Spock you damn racist!

Near the end Airiam did have a line accusing Burnham of being the cause of this problem or something to that affect. And in the preview for next week someone says Burnham is committing mutiny again. I'm glad they're finally acknowledging that little insignificant bit of her past.

The group girl bonding scenes from this episode demonstrate one of the faults of this show. There's no chemistry between any of the actors and relationships seemed forced. TNG and Voyager may seem dated and have the odd clunker of an episode, but at least the casts worked well with each other and made things seem believable. Discovery is finishing season 2 and still seems to be switching up cast members and writing corrective exposition after the fact. You can't sit back as a viewer and let it wash over you because you're always trying to figure out the events and logic within the show.
    Yeah, the whole diversity thing, SJW angle is tiresome. Yes, we know, the writers of the show are woke. Male characters bad, women characters good.

And yup, that scene form the memory of the 'girls' from the bridge all sitting around (in the mess hall I guess?) talking and chatting like they're old friends...and we're supposed to care? This is the first interaction for most of these characters together that we've ever seen. Only Tilly has had any character development really. I guess we saw Owo on the landing party on that episode earlier this season, but other than that, do we know much about her? But they show us this scene of them all together and we're supposed to smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

And really? Airium needs to delete memories because she can't store them all? As part machine she has less storage capacity than a human brain?

As for Spock, I find him one of the least offensive characters on the show. I could go either way with him, but he does seem to try and play it closer to Nimoy's version of Spock than "making it his own" and trying to re-imagine the character.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Well, at least Burnham's giant ego finally got called out. In the chess scene she actually stands up emoting pure hostility over the fact Spock isn't making the chess moves she thought practical. Spock even says - And if I moved my pawn that would of helped guide me to the answer I seek? I do like the Spock actor. He seems to have this low level constant fury thing going. And who wouldn't trying to cope with bad actor-Burnham as your sister.

Production fully admits to writing episodes from a SJW perspective, lots of confirmation in articles on the net. And boy did I notice some of the undertones in this episode. During the scene on the bridge with the Admiral and Pike, twice he attempts to be kind and defer command to her and gets publicly rebuked both times. He even tilts his head down a little the second time.

I don't mind diversity and balance being integrated into TV, after all the original intent of the Star Trek Universe was that all races and genders live and work in harmony with equality. Discovery tips the scale too far over the other way. Scenes with five women from the bridge whom we've never seen interact socially before are the focus of the episode. Saru and Pike seem like apologetic backstops for the NCC Estrogen - 1701. If Georgiou and the Admiral are there, they could have a bridge scene with all women flying the ship. The NCC Can'tbackintoaparkingspace - 1701.

Plot clarification. So the big ball of knowledge was really all of the AI in the universe and now it wants to get transferred to an old penal colony/ Section 31 base? Which is actually defunct because everyone there has been dead for two weeks. The AI wants to wipe out all sentient life and the red angel is here to help us.

Spock had a Hitleresque moment - 'It wants to destroy all sentient life. All of the humans and Vulcans in the known universe.' How about the other 50 races Spock you damn racist!

Near the end Airiam did have a line accusing Burnham of being the cause of this problem or something to that affect. And in the preview for next week someone says Burnham is committing mutiny again. I'm glad they're finally acknowledging that little insignificant bit of her past.

The group girl bonding scenes from this episode demonstrate one of the faults of this show. There's no chemistry between any of the actors and relationships seemed forced. TNG and Voyager may seem dated and have the odd clunker of an episode, but at least the casts worked well with each other and made things seem believable. Discovery is finishing season 2 and still seems to be switching up cast members and writing corrective exposition after the fact. You can't sit back as a viewer and let it wash over you because you're always trying to figure out the events and logic within the show.
    The chess scene was good It was nice to see someone put Burnham in her place

As for the Giant Beach Ball of Space Library, I don't think it was specifically a repository for AI, Section 31 just wanted all the information it had collected on AI from across the galaxy. And I'm still not clear as to what took control of Airium, another thing that they left very vague in pursuit of more important thing on Spock playing Dr Phil for Stamets and his problems with Culber. Did that octopus probe from the future take over Airium? And if so, why did it want to give the AI info to Section 31? Or was it Section 31 that took control of Airium after finding out that Discovery had all that information from the Dying Ball of Britannica in its ship's memory?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Another thing to add. The 3rd gal on the base (whom we have had no opportunity to get to know either) gets knocked out and is slowly suffocating to death and in the whole 5 minutes Burnham is flapping about trying to decide whether or not to save robo-girl's life, she doesn't even check on the other gal once, despite being only a few metres away from her
    Commander Nhan I believe. Canadian and attractive...love her hair on the show

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yup, another very fringe person that all we really know about her is that she came aboard Discovery with Pike and she needs those things to breathe. That's absolutely ALL we know about her. But as she's slowly suffocating, you're supposed to feel bad for her I guess, even though she's got the same amount of back story as the Red Shirts on TOS that would beam down with the landing party and get killed mere seconds after they materialize

And of course Burnham ignored her, it's all about Burnham
    The looks on these guy's faces

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, the whole diversity thing, SJW angle is tiresome. Yes, we know, the writers of the show are woke. Male characters bad, women characters good.

And yup, that scene form the memory of the 'girls' from the bridge all sitting around (in the mess hall I guess?) talking and chatting like they're old friends...and we're supposed to care? This is the first interaction for most of these characters together that we've ever seen. Only Tilly has had any character development really. I guess we saw Owo on the landing party on that episode earlier this season, but other than that, do we know much about her? But they show us this scene of them all together and we're supposed to smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

And really? Airium needs to delete memories because she can't store them all? As part machine she has less storage capacity than a human brain?

As for Spock, I find him one of the least offensive characters on the show. I could go either way with him, but he does seem to try and play it closer to Nimoy's version of Spock than "making it his own" and trying to re-imagine the character.
    You brought up the other girl who needs devices to breathe (Nhan) and Airiam here. I kept thinking - In TOS series they had the tech to knit broken bones in 45 minutes. In this world there's still cybernetic beings that have robotic features? And races that need what looks like very delicate and unfortunately placed devices right on the side of their faces? One punch and it's Gasp city

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    ...I find him one of the least offensive characters on the show...
    This is where we're at

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The chess scene was good It was nice to see someone put Burnham in her place

As for the Giant Beach Ball of Space Library, I don't think it was specifically a repository for AI, Section 31 just wanted all the information it had collected on AI from across the galaxy. And I'm still not clear as to what took control of Airium, another thing that they left very vague in pursuit of more important thing on Spock playing Dr Phil for Stamets and his problems with Culber. Did that octopus probe from the future take over Airium? And if so, why did it want to give the AI info to Section 31? Or was it Section 31 that took control of Airium after finding out that Discovery had all that information from the Dying Ball of Britannica in its ship's memory?
    That whole paragraph made me feel like a supermodel at a quantum physics convention

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You need sound for about 5 seconds

https://aaeblog.com/2019/03/15/ive-g...d-to-her-face/

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You brought up the other girl who needs devices to breathe (Nhan) and Airiam here. I kept thinking - In TOS series they had the tech to knit broken bones in 45 minutes. In this world there's still cybernetic beings that have robotic features? And races that need what looks like very delicate and unfortunately placed devices right on the side of their faces? One punch and it's Gasp city
    Airium did ask her offhandedly as to whether she needed those to breathe....Nhan should have been, "Why do you want to know?"

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That whole paragraph made me feel like a supermodel at a quantum physics convention

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Airium did ask her offhandedly as to whether she needed those to breathe....Nhan should have been, "Why do you want to know?"
    Besties and she didn't know what the tech was for?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    From what I understand, that Britannica Ball had all of the universe's known AI stored in it. Airiam got near it, the BB found out she could somehow store all the known AI information in the known universe within her immense SSD, and then she somehow transferred all of that information into the ship's computer. Without anyone else knowing. Until it became imperative to know something happened.

Next week I imagine they'll rewrite and stomp all over that idea telling us some other idea was behind it, and we should just forget what we've seen and heard to this point.

Damn, I can literally feel the IQ points being sucked out of my head when I watch this show.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Besties and she didn't know what the tech was for?
    Not sure if those two were besties or not. She was watching Airium suspiciously throughout most of the episode it seemed. I think they were trying to show camaraderie between Airium, Tilly, Detmer, and Owo.

Speaking of Detmer, now she's the one I would be Kirking around the bridge