Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    So did we ever get the origin story about how TOS Pike was burned and confined to that chair?

If not, I hope we find out Burnham was responsible
    Yes, I believe they stated it during The Menagerie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,838 Times in 8,177 Posts
    Those damned baffle plates!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I hope they don't try and retcon what happens to Pike. You know, with this time traveling Red Angel and all.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I hope they don't try and retcon what happens to Pike. You know, with this time traveling Red Angel and all.
    dammit man, you know they will

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Yes, I believe they stated it during The Menagerie

So funny they can build a starship and an advanced life support system but can only manage yes/no blinking/beeping lights for communication.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ahh 1966...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times
    Capt Pike has come a long way in just 3 or 4 years

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    So funny they can build a starship and an advanced life support system but can only manage yes/no blinking/beeping lights for communication.
    Maybe they did that on purpose, to silence him

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Pony (03-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/star...episode-9.html

A review/recap of the last episode that sheds some light on things we all obviously missed somehow. She's very SJW-y in her recaps and can be frustrating to read sometimes, but at least the beginning of this seems to explain a lot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Take the thought a little further...we're getting set to have auto pilot automobiles within the next 10-20 years. Let's say by 2030.

In the 23rd century they still have helmsmen and pilots driving space ships?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Pony (03-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Capt Pike has come a long way in just 3 or 4 years
    I googled Pike's comment from The Cage. "I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge." Thousands of sites and hits come up talking about how horrible the comment was. Example below:

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2015/...y-in-the-cage/

One person on Reddit nailed it. "That was written 50 years ago. Ignore it, times have changed."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I googled Pike's comment from The Cage. "I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge." Thousands of sites and hits come up talking about how horrible the comment was. Example below:

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2015/...y-in-the-cage/

One person on Reddit nailed it. "That was written 50 years ago. Ignore it, times have changed."
    Reading that article made my brain hurt

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I didn't read it.

Got the title, hit eject

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Last week Spock fought with Burnham and said not everything is about you before smashing the 3D chess board. Turns out he was wrong

I finally discovered what really bothers me about this show beyond the bad writing and steady assassination of canonical Star Trek events.

It's because the entire premise is based on one crew member. Every single plot point and reason for existing is Michael Burnham. In all other versions of Star Trek they rotated story lines throughout the various crew members, even during TOS with Jim Kirk and all of his dick swinging glory. I used to think my disdain for Discovery was because the main focus was on a character within the show that had flaws and an incredible ego, when really it's more simple than that. Every other character on that show is just a supporting actor in Burham's life. The writers have created a house of cards using a base made from a person who's unlikable and not really that watchable or interesting on her own.

Some other observations. Weird that Lt Nilsson who makes a quick appearance on the bridge in place of Airiam, is the first actress who originally played Airiam that I posted a picture of.

Isn't the version of Georgiou in this universe supposed to be the evil Emperor Georgiou? If so what's with all the nice feelings and worry for Burnham?

I'm gay, he's gay, we're all gay. It's totally unnecessary and distracting. If they featured one specific hetero relationship on the ship with all of this weekly melodrama, people would complain. Georgiou was funny in the scene but it was just another device to reexamine the wounds of Stamets and his lost love Jussie Senior. It got old last season.

Spock's comments about Burnham in front of Pike and the Admiral while they smirked was one of the best parts of this episode for me.

The science...Okay, the red angel is Burnham and travels back and forth through time warning Star Fleet about potentially dangerous situations. The red angel is also a person in a suit and Section 31 was in some sort of arms race with the Klingons to create it.

If I have that correct, wouldn't the red angel know that the whole Burnham staged death is just a trap?

Speaking of which why was everybody freaking out when Burnham was dying, when the plan in the first place was for her to die? They all talked about it, Burnham said she was scared of it and the entire premise was for her to die so the red angel would appear. Yet they put Spock in the bad guy position holding everyone off and they make a huge deal out of Burnham actually dying. It's like the writers wrote one scene, went to the bathroom and then totally forgot about what they had just written.

And then Burnham's Mom pops out of the suit I don't know what to say.

This episode crammed in:

The funeral and love for Airiam
    Burnham and Ash's love
    Burnham and Spock's restored relationship
    Section 31's reveal about red angel tech and Burnham's parents
    Section 31's Leland getting punched by Burnham then eye-poked and killed by a computer (wtf)
    Culber getting psych counseling from the Admiral (wtf 2)
    Stamets rebuking Culber's apology and perhaps never reuniting (can't believe I just wrote that)
    Reveal that the red angel is now Burnham's allegedly dead mother

Another thing I noticed about the show is that Pike never discovers anything on his own, he always has to be looped into the narrative. He's only there to give the last okay to whatever convoluted plan the rest of the crew has already come up with. His character is truly a figurehead that gives permission and even when he says no, they make him say yes. Another total disservice to a good character.

And don't get too attached to Anson Mount. Deal was him and Number One (Rebecca Romijn with her blink and you'll miss it role ) are only onboard for this season and won't be coming back for season 3. Sorry for the spoiler but no sense looking forward to possibly one of the only reasons to watch the *&^%@$q!! show next year.

I can't believe the amount of ret-conning this show does to the point of characters making sly meta allusions to egos and it being all about you...when really what they've done is consistently dug a hole of bad writing and tried to climb out of it every week by making up ever changing bullshit covered by flashy graphics and pandering to certain groups they feel are ignored on network TV. Sorry Detmer, but you're not the first character to have an odd implant on your face. I can think 7of 9 other characters before you...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have no idea where to even start with this steaming pile of crap.

Random thoughts in my head before they disappear....the whole "in my universe he was pansexual" bullshit. Really? Enough with forcing all this shit into the show when it has no place and has nothing to do with the plot at hand. It's maddening. Completely agree with you Hal about it being unnecessary and distracting and that if it were a hetero thing, the fanboys and fangirls of this mess would be all up in arms.

And the big reveal that the Red Angel is Burnham because of course it is. I agree with you 100% and can't state it any better than you already did about this show being focused on ONE SINGLE UNLIKABLE character and everyone else is just an extra on her show. It's Burnham this and Burnham that. Jesus, why not just call the fucking show Star Trek: Michael Burnham FFS.

The whol Airium funeral at the beginning was ridiculous and ties in with my complaint about the ending of the previous episode. Here we have a character that up until the last couple of episodes we know nothing about. FFS I didn't even really know her name until this season because this show focuses ZERO time on anyone other than Burnham and a couple of other characters they consider to be quasi-important to the plot. On TOS you knew every one of the major people on the bridge of the Enterprise. Hell, I'm only part way thru season 1 of Star Trek: Enterprise and I know more about that crew than I do in 1-3/4 seasons of Discovery. And this show we dissect here on a weekly basis. The speeches given and the send off for Airium was just ridiculous. The words were meaningless because she was a character that hadn't been developed and nobody could feel that close to! They made it on the same level as Spock's funeral and death on Start Trek II: Wrath of Khan.

Agreed with your take on touchy-feely Georgiou when it comes to Burnham. Maybe she's bipolar or something

The reveal of Burnham's mother in the Red Angel suit? Really?

And I agree Hal, if this ruse about killing Burnham to make the Red Angel appear was what they came up with, then that's what would have happened anyway and the Red Angel would have known it was a trap because the Red Angel is FROM THE FREAKING FUTURE.

Good to see that Burnham can be insubordinate to a number of superior officers, not just Georgiou from season 1 and Pike from this season, but also now Capt. Leland of Section 31. Does Burnham ever respect the chain of command?

I had more on my mind to write immediately after watching the show, I'm sure it will come back to me as the day goes on. But this show....I have NO IDEA how people can be actual fans of this show and stick up for what they do. I guess by readingt the comments of fans on review sites and hearing them slag on TOS and TNG all the time while saying THIS SHOW is real Star Trek tells me all I need to know about them.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    I don't watch this show.
    I saw maybe the first two episodes when it first aired. I can say with 100% certainty that I get way more enjoyment reading you two discussing it that I ever would watching it.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-25-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (03-25-2019)