Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR TREK DISCOVERY Discussion Thread *Beware Spoilers*

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

From the beginning of the episode....do the people that write for the show know that Cassini launched in 1997, not 1953?
    I missed that reference.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Yeah they made that guy unlikable and I thought - oh, a new color for redshirts...guys who are nasty to Burnham

You reminded me of something. Remember that huge plot last season about the bearded guy who was really a Klingon underneath because they had changed his entire skeletal and organ system, then mystically transplanted a Klingon mind/soul into him?

What happen to that guy? Not a word about him in two episodes this season.
    Refresh my memory on that one, I'm drawing a blank

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How about Stamets mentioning a former collegue who is an ethno-botanist on the Enterprise? I'm going to bet that's Sulu and they are going to set up another gay romance (if it gets that far) and change Sulu's story line to make him openly gay on the show.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Refresh my memory on that one, I'm drawing a blank

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh, Tyler, why didn't you just say so

I'm thinking 'bearded guy', what did I miss?

He didn't die last season? I honestly don't remember.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    and you don't smoke weed.

It was only one of the biggest (stupidest) storylines of the season

Yeah, I'm blanking on how that was resolved, what happened to him etc.

I do remember he kissed Burnham in what had to be one of the least romantic kisses in TV history. It was supposed to be this big pivotal sexually charged moment and was more like kissing your grandma when she didn't have her teeth in.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    and you don't smoke weed.

It was only one of the biggest (stupidest) storylines of the season

Yeah, I'm blanking on how that was resolved, what happened to him etc.

I do remember he kissed Burnham in what had to be one of the least romantic kisses in TV history. It was supposed to be this big pivotal sexually charged moment and was more like kissing your grandma when she didn't have her teeth in.
    You didn't say you were talking about Tyler so I thought you meant there was another one

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What about the giant gash that one of the asteroids put in Discovery's hull and the cracked view screen and everything and then magically its fixed? With no mention of it at all other than when it happened?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And I couldn't help notice that when Burnham went into Spock's quarters (who would even allow that invasion of privacy) that compared to the quarters on Enterprise TOS, it appeared that he'd been upgraded to the executive suite Capt. Kirk's quarters weren't that luxurious FFS.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You didn't say you were talking about Tyler so I thought you meant there was another one

Another human morphed into a Klingon plot??...with a beard?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What about the giant gash that one of the asteroids put in Discovery's hull and the cracked view screen and everything and then magically its fixed? With no mention of it at all other than when it happened?
    And I couldn't help notice that when Burnham went into Spock's quarters (who would even allow that invasion of privacy) that compared to the quarters on Enterprise TOS, it appeared that he'd been upgraded to the executive suite Capt. Kirk's quarters weren't that luxurious FFS.
    It's the whole set design that I find distracting. I read they tried to make something that looked both retro and would be interesting to modern day viewers. Fail.

Everything looks ultra futuristic in the ship right down to the see-through hanging computer screens and readouts on the bridge.

For the love of Scotty! Even the transporter used to have three distinct levers you had to pull down at just the right speed!
    Now it's all fancy touchscreens and mushroom powered engines.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's the whole set design that I find distracting. I read they tried to make something that looked both retro and would be interesting to modern day viewers. Fail.

Everything looks ultra futuristic in the ship right down to the see-through hanging computer screens and readouts on the bridge.

For the love of Scotty! Even the transporter used to have three distinct levers you had to pull down at just the right speed!
    Now it's all fancy touchscreens and mushroom powered engines.
    That's one of my biggest complaints. This is a prequel to TOS and the writers and CBS have both stated that it happens in the same timeline as TOS did. Now, I understand this show (I refuse to use the nickname Disco that I see on a ton of sites ) has basically an unlimited budget compared to what TOS worked with, even far more than TNG worked with, but there is still a way to make it look 'retro' with updated special effects without making it look like the tech is far more advanced than anything we've seen on any Trek series ever.

Literally everything aboard Discovery is far more advanced than nearly anything that was on TOS or TNG for that matter.

I've been reading review/recap sites now that I have caught up and people love this season. One person in the comment section said they were "excited because it felt (the premiere) like classic Trek".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-29-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And after watching episode 2 last night, I see it didn't take them long to get the mushroom engine back online

And, it also didn't take Super Burnham long to persuade Pike, on of the most decorated and respected Captains in Star Fleet history, to violate General Order 1, which is also better known as the Prime Directive on non-interference. And of course before that happened, Pole even thanked Burnham for doing her job and following orders about General Order 1 before she got him to change his mind.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-29-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And after watching episode 2 last night, I see it didn't take them long to get the mushroom engine back online

And, it also didn't take Super Burnham long to persuade Pike, on of the most decorated and respected Captains in Star Fleet history, to violate General Order 1, which is also better known as the Prime Directive on non-interference. And of course before that happened, Pole even thanked Burnham for doing her job and following orders about General Order 1 before she got him to change his mind.
    Didn't know how far you were watching so I left that out. Yes, the prime directive (general order one) is such a large part of the Star Trek world and they changed an entire civilization's evolution.

Not only did they save the planet from destruction, they revealed themselves and confirmed the theory of starships, people from the future.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (01-29-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Didn't know how far you were watching so I left that out. Yes, the prime directive (general order one) is such a large part of the Star Trek world and they changed an entire civilization's evolution.

Not only did they save the planet from destruction, they revealed themselves and confirmed the theory of starships, people from the future.
    I would be kind of okay with them saving the planet from destruction because there is some precedent for that in Trek canon (the episode with the Indians where Kirk ends up with amnesia when they are trying to fix that asteroid deflection system), but yeah, the whole blatant violation of the Prime Directive? Not a big TNG fan, so I couldn't say whether it happened then or not (but just from what I know of Picard, I find it hard to believe he would violate it. And I'm pretty sure that Kirk never violated it either.

But Arc Angel Burnham gets Pike to do it no problem.