Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying foreclosures discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

Economics Buying foreclosures discussion

I am going to be in the market a year from now, which means I need to learn this now, and start looking in 6 months. It's my understanding that, especially for government owned properties, the process can take forever.

I'm not even completely sold on the idea, but I want to explore it. I have it in mind that I can find the right deal, take equity in the loan to pay for the repairs and upgrades, and do it with an appraisal based down payment (no cash) that I keep hearing about. I am willing to put in the sweat equity for the right deal.

My pipe dream target is an appraisal at $250k, a foreclosure offer at $125k, a loan at $200k, $75k cash out for remodeling and cash to me, and the $50k to appraisal is the 20% down on the loan. I have already located a couple properties that fit that math in theory.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    If you can get a good deal in a decent area it a great way to make money. Dealing with short sales can be time consuming having to go back and forth with the bank, but they typically like to get the properties off their books so they will sell at a loss. Foreclosures on the other hand have to go to auction (at least here in CA) so you will have to compete with other bidders. You need to be patient and know your price point, it easy to get caught up in bidding and overpay. In CA its really tough because we have a lot if idiots with money and a lot of the auction prices are ridiculous for a flip, so you end up having to hold them long term for the equity to grow, and holding anything long term can be risky and expensive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-16-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks, Porky. That's helpful. I was trying to figure out the process, as some are listed as short sales, some auctions, some foreclosures, and the scariest category of sale as-is while occupied. wtf?

My intent is to take my time and use the first one as my primary residence for the experience and practice. If I think I am decent at it, I will go slow and flip one next. I won't necessarily need the income, but I do need to build some longer term wealth.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Its a great way to build wealth. Its important to have professionals on hand to do work as well. When trying to flip a home your goal is to hold it for as little time as possible, since every month you have to make a mortgage/insurance payment. So having a good network of pros that can get in and get things done quickly is key. You can't do everything yourself, and even if you can you could end up losing money by not paying for the work to get done because you help the property longer. But, if you will live in it, its not as big a deal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-16-2017)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,098 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    If you can get a good deal in a decent area it a great way to make money. Dealing with short sales can be time consuming having to go back and forth with the bank, but they typically like to get the properties off their books so they will sell at a loss. Foreclosures on the other hand have to go to auction (at least here in CA) so you will have to compete with other bidders. You need to be patient and know your price point, it easy to get caught up in bidding and overpay. In CA its really tough because we have a lot if idiots with money and a lot of the auction prices are ridiculous for a flip, so you end up having to hold them long term for the equity to grow, and holding anything long term can be risky and expensive.
    All foreclosures in Colorado go thru auction as well. And when we were looking for our house 4 years ago, we saw some short sales and our real estate agent said those a major pain in the ass to deal with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-16-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    All foreclosures in Colorado go thru auction as well. And when we were looking for our house 4 years ago, we saw some short sales and our real estate agent said those a major pain in the ass to deal with.
    They are, take months of negotiations sometimes, so if your looking to move in its probably not ideal. But, if you have the time it can be done and you end up with a lot of built in equity

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    They are, take months of negotiations sometimes, so if your looking to move in its probably not ideal. But, if you have the time it can be done and you end up with a lot of built in equity
    I expect the first one to be painful and frustrating, and that's okay with me. The reason I am starting now is because I want to move a year from now; that seems like a decent time frame to get this done.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (01-16-2017), Teh One Who Knocks (01-16-2017)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,098 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I expect the first one to be painful and frustrating, and that's okay with me. The reason I am starting now is because I want to move a year from now; that seems like a decent time frame to get this done.
    Like Porky said tho, be careful at the auctions, it's easy to get caught up in it, especially if it's a property you kinda have your heart set on. And you can easily overpay and actually end up losing money.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-16-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Like Porky said tho, be careful at the auctions, it's easy to get caught up in it, especially if it's a property you kinda have your heart set on. And you can easily overpay and actually end up losing money.
    Message received, Thanks! I am not approaching this emotionally. No dream home fantasies. The girlfriend will probably be more inclined to think things are too big or too fancy.

The beauty is, we are under no pressure, no immediate need for space etc, and we are fine with apartment living. Hell, if I didn't live below Stompy McStomperson, we'd probably be planning to stay in the apartment for a few more years.

I am looking for a good investment that provides an enjoyable living situation. Plus learning how it works to repeat the process on other properties as flips.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    First team targets are an agent and an inspector.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    A good inspector will go a long way, unseen structural issues could break you. Do research to make sure there is no liens on the property. Knowing the neighborhood/area is a big one too, buying something only to find out the area had been sliding downhill would not be fun.

Moving in while doing renovations is a good plan, too many people decide to get into this thinking they can make quick money flipping in a couple months, then find out the work is above their skills and have to hire contractors, costs skyrocket and every month you pay the mortgage is another month lost profit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-16-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks, Pony. Good call on the title search. Structural issues are my biggest concern. I will run, not walk, on those.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You can contact a local title company (I use First American Title) and request a property profile. That will give you detailed info on the property (including liens). Just get yourself a rep, then its as easy as emailing them the address and they will email you back the details, and its free.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Here is a link to one I pulled in the past. If you're interested

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...UQ5RkQzODowLjE

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-16-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Title rep team member is separate from RE agent, correct?