Page 93 of 143 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2144

Thread: All Things Trump - Good or Bad

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Does the average American have much attachment to investments linked directly to the DOW?
    Is this how your pension system works?

I mean is a big jump in the dow directly good for Trump voters or just for rich people?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    Does the average American have much attachment to investments linked directly to the DOW?
    Is this how your pension system works?

I mean is a big jump in the dow directly good for Trump voters or just for rich people?
    My 401k retirement account is directly tied to it..

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    My 401k is tide to the market. Not directly to the Dow and it has been crushing
    Last edited by PorkChopSandwiches; 09-22-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Interesting. I thought that might be the case.
    it is somewhat different in the UK, I have a private pension which is stock linked, the standard pension tend not to be, and the vast majority of people see absolutely no influence with a rising stickmarket, save perhaps companies able to invest and employ more.
    The is a net deficient for most, in the vast entry and investment into UK stocks seems to come when the pound tanks, so people have less spending power abroad, and the value of goods costs rises, so high stock, low pound, worse for the standard consumer.
    Not that the government would tell them such.
    The US is a different case as most of its investment will be internal, and thus help the stock options people have.

When you say the 401K is linked, does it tie in directly, I mean close to retirement do you take steps to mitigate your risk (cash out or some such), or might you end up assfucked if the stocks all crashed the week before cash in?

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    You can adjust your 401k to be super risky or conservative. Usually high risk when you are young and swing back the other way as you get closer to retirement. If you cash out before you retire you get huge penalties because it's all invested pre tax.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Hikari Kisugi (09-22-2018), RBP (09-22-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Interesting. I thought that might be the case.
    it is somewhat different in the UK, I have a private pension which is stock linked, the standard pension tend not to be, and the vast majority of people see absolutely no influence with a rising stickmarket, save perhaps companies able to invest and employ more.
    The is a net deficient for most, in the vast entry and investment into UK stocks seems to come when the pound tanks, so people have less spending power abroad, and the value of goods costs rises, so high stock, low pound, worse for the standard consumer.
    Not that the government would tell them such.
    The US is a different case as most of its investment will be internal, and thus help the stock options people have.

When you say the 401K is linked, does it tie in directly, I mean close to retirement do you take steps to mitigate your risk (cash out or some such), or might you end up assfucked if the stocks all crashed the week before cash in?
    That's been a massive shift in the US. Private pensions are not very common any more, and social security is not much to live on. Most companies have moved to 401(k) with a match on contributions.

The problem is that many people do pay enough into the 401(k) or simply do not earn enough to be able to choose to put the money away when they have the option to take it in their paycheck instead. Low and middle class wages have stagnated versus cost of living since the move away from pensions, making the choice more difficult. If they are looking at rent versus retirement, they choose rent.

I had this conversation with my business-owner brother, who was frustrated that a low percentage of his employees were participating in his 401(k) or participating at a low contribution level. "It's free money! What don't they understand?" he'd say. He's right, it is free money, but for 30 years from now. If they barely make enough to cover their expenses, it's an easy choice to take the cash flow now.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    building a bit of a timebomb for later.
    Our social security pension is in theory paid for using our Ni contributions.
    They keep raising the age at which is becomes available. For me it'll likely be 68, i am 42 now.
    They also have very sneakily tied in the government based pension scheme to this new age.
    When I started working I thought I would get my govt pension at 60 (which i pay contributions of 13.5% for), now I'll only get half of it then, the rest at 68, thus i am paying into a private pension instead to fund the deficit.
    Its a bit messy but should work out. It does take significant funding to achieve.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-22-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Very few people in the US would trust 13.5% withholding for a government promise later. They have repeatedly robbed the social security funds as it is.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh no sorry, this is a different thing, my NI contributions for the state pension are enforced, 8% between certain values and 2% on anything above the values.
    This is collected with the taxes at 20% and 40%
    Then they take money off me in my 'pay' as a self employed contractor to the health service, i am entitled to a form of health service pension.
    That costs me 13.5% of my salary due to the amount I earn, its a sliding scale, and the pension is basically a 50% of career average pension scheme.
    Which was a great scheme when I joined at 6% contributions, now 13.5%, retirement age 60, now its 68 retirement age.

So i pay an amount into a private pension fund, stock linked, to try to make some deficit.
    It does encompass a massive amount of my overall monthly income.

So yeah i don't trust over government one bit, but one thing I will say, if they change the state pension to be income related, or dependant upon some shit and i lose out, i will execute that government ministers family. Silently, without getting caught, likely poison, but they'll die, and deserve it

- the 13.5% scheme is a fake scheme, there is no pot, there is no actual fund, it is all paid from future contributions, utter twaddle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-22-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

- the 13.5% scheme is a fake scheme, there is no pot, there is no actual fund, it is all paid from future contributions, utter twaddle.
    Same here. It's a Ponzi Scheme.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    You also didn't wait to say something about it until the person you accused was being considered for a high profile government position, now did you? And you can probably remember every last horrible detail about both encounters, including locations, dates, and times, now can't you?
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 09-23-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post

To me that just enforces the fact that Trump has no understanding of the situations that some women are placed in.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Right, like you actually gave a shit about the positions women were placed in before that tweet. Get the fuck out of here.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    You also didn't wait to say something about it until the person you accused was being considered for a high profile government position, now did you? And you can probably remember every last horrible detail about both encounters, including locations, dates, and times, now can't you?

Mate, have a read of the Twitter posts in response. It's not about Trump. You'll get the picture...