Page 97 of 143 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2144

Thread: All Things Trump - Good or Bad

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    I gather the idea in America as to law means that court appointees cannot be totally impartial.

I always thought that a judge should adjudicate a case on facts and that personal beliefs don't come into consideration.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
    I gather the idea in America as to law means that court appointees cannot be totally impartial.

I always thought that a judge should adjudicate a case on facts and that personal beliefs don't come into consideration.
    It's more an issue of constitutional interpretation. Is the constitution to be interpreted as originally drafted? Or is it a living breathing document that the court should shift their view based on current standards? Conservatives tend to favor "strict constructionists".
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-08-2018), KevinD (10-08-2018), lost in melb. (10-08-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (10-09-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    It's more an issue of constitutional interpretation. Is the constitution to be interpreted as originally drafted? Or is it a living breathing document that the court should shift their view based on current standards? Conservatives tend to favor "strict constructionists".
    So why not scrap the amendments? Keep it original

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    link="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    View this post on Instagram

I’m writing this post about the upcoming midterm elections on November 6th, in which I’ll be voting in the state of Tennessee. In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now. I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent. I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love. Running for Senate in the state of Tennessee is a woman named Marsha Blackburn. As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn. Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me. She voted against equal pay for women. She voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which attempts to protect women from domestic violence, stalking, and date rape. She believes businesses have a right to refuse service to gay couples. She also believes they should not have the right to marry. These are not MY Tennessee values. I will be voting for Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives. Please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values. For a lot of us, we may never find a candidate or party with whom we agree 100% on every issue, but we have to vote anyway. So many intelligent, thoughtful, self-possessed people have turned 18 in the past two years and now have the right and privilege to make their vote count. But first you need to register, which is quick and easy to do. October 9th is the LAST DAY to register to vote in the state of TN. Go to vote.org and you can find all the info. Happy Voting! ������

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

Good girl
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 10-08-2018 at 12:48 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (10-08-2018), RBP (10-09-2018)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (10-08-2018), RBP (10-09-2018)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-09-2018), The Monk (10-09-2018)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    link="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    View this post on Instagram

I’m writing this post about the upcoming midterm elections on November 6th, in which I’ll be voting in the state of Tennessee. In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now. I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent. I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love. Running for Senate in the state of Tennessee is a woman named Marsha Blackburn. As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn. Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me. She voted against equal pay for women. She voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which attempts to protect women from domestic violence, stalking, and date rape. She believes businesses have a right to refuse service to gay couples. She also believes they should not have the right to marry. These are not MY Tennessee values. I will be voting for Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives. Please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values. For a lot of us, we may never find a candidate or party with whom we agree 100% on every issue, but we have to vote anyway. So many intelligent, thoughtful, self-possessed people have turned 18 in the past two years and now have the right and privilege to make their vote count. But first you need to register, which is quick and easy to do. October 9th is the LAST DAY to register to vote in the state of TN. Go to vote.org and you can find all the info. Happy Voting! ������

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

Good girl

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-08-2018), RBP (10-09-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bu...but it's Tayylor

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-08-2018), RBP (10-09-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Bu...but it's Tayylor
    I don't care if it's Taylor. She and all other celebrities are fucking idiots where politics are concerned. They are nothing more than caricatures. Their opinions are no more important than anyone else's. And frequently, as in Taylor's case and like many others, they have absolutely no clue as to how government in the US is supposed to really work. So I don't care who Taylor's voting for (and can she really vote in Tennessee? Does she not live in NY City?), and any one citizen with half a brain wouldn't care about her or any other celebrity either. We can still appreciate their art, but we can also understand that their art doesn't pay our bills. It doesn't give us money to put a roof over our heads, to keep the power on, to keep the water running, to put food on the table... only good economic policy does that. So we have to vote our consciences, and not give a flying shit what Taylor thinks. Especially since she is so clearly misinformed about many things.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Muddy (10-09-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (10-08-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I don't care if it's Taylor. She and all other celebrities are fucking idiots where politics are concerned. They are nothing more than caricatures. Their opinions are no more important than anyone else's. And frequently, as in Taylor's case and like many others, they have absolutely no clue as to how government in the US is supposed to really work. So I don't care who Taylor's voting for (and can she really vote in Tennessee? Does she not live in NY City?), and any one citizen with half a brain wouldn't care about her or any other celebrity either. We can still appreciate their art, but we can also understand that their art doesn't pay our bills. It doesn't give us money to put a roof over our heads, to keep the power on, to keep the water running, to put food on the table... only good economic policy does that. So we have to vote our consciences, and not give a flying shit what Taylor thinks. Especially since she is so clearly misinformed about many things.
    Can't say I disagree, except that for many people a vote for policy is more than about 'paying the bills'. Or is that where humanity is at? I guess so

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Can't say I disagree, except that for many people a vote for policy is more than about 'paying the bills'. Or is that where humanity is at? I guess so
    When economic policy is about lowering taxes, yeah it is. Most working people want their taxes lower. They get to keep more of their own money. When economic policy is about bringing jobs back from overseas because the companies were being taxed to death in the US, yeah it is. So lower taxes means more jobs for Americans. Cause you can't pay the bills if you don't have a job.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 10-09-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Is the high court purely for constitutional matters or cases across the board?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Generally, when the Supreme Court decides to hear a case, it's in regard to the constitutionality of a law, stemming from a case that has been heard locally, then appealed to the appellate courts, and then appealed again to the Supreme Court. They can refuse to hear a case, or send it back down to the appellate courts with instructions.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-09-2018), The Monk (10-09-2018)