Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cancer surges among TSA workers

I might be losing it... Softdreamer's Avatar
    behind the 2 way mirror in your bathroom.
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    body scanners don't cause cancer...

i cause cancer
    That explains the third testicle you have then?

come back to my place, I'll show you how to drink tequila.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepsepia View Post
    Again, the story is bullshit. You want to buy a dosimeter-- no one's stopping you.
    That's not what TSA employees have been told. Read the link I sent again.

I will point out that once again you've avoided my main questions and supplied fluff in it's place. Why are pregnant women not scanned? Why does the TSA deny employees the right to wear dosimeter badges? What makes pregnant women so special and why are they against something so simple as an employee wearing a dosimeter badge?

Now extra seepy . . . Deepsepia's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Trip View Post
    That's not what TSA employees have been told. Read the link I sent again.

I will point out that once again you've avoided my main questions and supplied fluff in it's place.
    You posted a thread with the title "Cancer surges among TSA workers"

In all the material you've posted, there is not one single datapoint telling us what cancer rates are "among TSA workers". Not a one. Go back: read through what you've posted-- find me one single number telling a reader about radiation exposure, or cancer rates-- you can't, because there isn't one.

Again, the scientific, medical and factual errors in the articles and testimony you've linked are so breathtaking, so utterly and obviously wrong to anyone who's worked a day in nuclear medicine, that there's no response possible. If someone believes he's going to get cancer from moonlight, or wants to tell Congress that the members of their union are worried about their thyroids, but doesn't have a single number, then you're not going to have an informed discussion about anything with them.

The backscatter devices have been evaluated by the folks who know radiology devices, people who [shock] actually know something about this technology, specifically:

Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH),
    the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST), and
    the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)

All results confirmed that the radiation doses for the individuals being screened, operators, and bystanders were well below the dose limits specified by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)

This is abundantly documented, here:

http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/safety.shtm

More specifically, you might want to familiarize yourself with the materials of the Health Physics Society, the professional body who're involved in most radiation activities in medicine. It is their spec, ANSI/HPS N43.17, "Radiation Safety For Personnel Security Screening Systems Using X-rays", that governs these devices.
    Last edited by Deepsepia; 06-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.