Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55

Thread: Anyone Into Digital Currency?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I was also originally thinking why is Ben McKenzie speaking at a Senate Committee on crypto, he's an actor with a BA in economics. But the truth is, people are being scammed hard by celebrities whether it's endorsements or directly being rugged by their NFT's and shitcoin scams..... Clearly they have more influence than we'd like ideally, and so as long as that's the case, maybe it's not all bad that one of them (particularly one like McKenzie who resonates with younger people because of The OC) is telling people to be careful since people obviously put too much weight behind celebs even for investing advice anyways

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    I refuse to put money into NFTs. It may come to pass in the future that they'll have some legitimate utility, but they certainly do not today.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (12-17-2022)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya agreed. I still have some money in crypto but I'm not touching NFTs

I've consolidated my crypto holdings too. I've mostly just got ether, bitcoin, litecoin and 2-3 others. I'm kinda done with the shitcoin game, made a few bucks overall I think but it's not for me anymore.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Nigerian innovator launches first active Bitcoin Lightning node in the country

JOSEPH HALL - Coin Telegraph

The Lightning Network has struck the earth in one of the most challenging operating environments. Lagos, the capital of Nigeria — Africa’s most populous country — welcomed a new Bitcoin Lightning Network (LN) node this week, a vital step to better connect the continent to the layer-2 payments network that sits atop Bitcoin.

The node runs on an old laptop powered by a diesel generator, as Lagos regularly experiences energy and electricity blackouts.

In a discussion with Cointelegraph, Megasley, who operates the first Nigerian Lightning node of 2023 and the first active Lightning node in the country (other nodes are dormant), shared his vision for bringing instant, low-cost payments to Africa thanks to the LN.

”Light takes 50 milliseconds to cross the earth. This is quick, but with many hops, these milliseconds can add up. And when you’re standing at a point of sale waiting for your payment to clear, it can be frustrating.”

Megasley explained his wish for Africans to have payments that are instant and as close to free as possible. “If a Nigerian Bitcoiner and a Nigerian retailer are both connected to a node in Nigeria, it will give them the best Lightning experience,” Megasley added.

According to the explorer services Mempool and Amboss, the operator is currently the only active node on the map in Nigeria. By spinning up the node, the operator aims to make Lightning payments as accessible as possible to Africans.

When asked about the importance of building out an extensive network of nodes across the globe to facilitate Bitcoin payments, the node runner explained, “If Bitcoin is to succeed, it must become a better, easier, faster medium of exchange than the incumbents. To get there, we need to build out an extensive network of nodes across the globe to facilitate these payments.”

Megasley also touched on Bitcoin price volatility and its perception in Africa: “People talk about the problem of volatility, but this is nothing when you live in a place where your money could easily lose half its value in a year.”

“Africa has rotten money controlled by rotten people, and this is why we need Bitcoin. We will take the power of money away from them so that the enormous potential of the African people can thrive."

Indeed, there has been a surge in Bitcoin adoption among the countries that use the Central African franc, bolstered by Bitcoin conferences and forums in Senegal and Ghana. Although Nigeria has shown promising signs of Bitcoin adoption, such as legal tender discussion, the legacy financial system has imposed further restrictions in 2023.

For example, Nigerians will only be allowed to withdraw $44 dollars per week per individual and a maximum of $11,000 for businesses in 2023, as per the government’s efforts to phase out cash. As a reminder, Bitcoin has no limits or restrictions for its use. To transact freely on the Bitcoin network, users require only a phone and an internet connection.

The establishment of a Bitcoin Lightning node in Nigeria is a significant step toward increasing accessibility and adoption of the cryptocurrency in the country and the continent as a whole. Ultimately, Megasley hopes to empower individuals and businesses in Africa to take control of their financial future.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Coinbase support are full of morons.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Lindsay Lohan, Jake Paul Charged For ‘Touting’ Illegal Crypto Scheme

By Brandon Drey - The Daily Wire

Former Disney star Lindsay Lohan and YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul are two celebrities among several others that face federal charges for illegally touting crypto asset securities from a digital currency entrepreneur.

The Securities and Exchange Commission announced charges Wednesday against crypto asset entrepreneur Justin Sun and three of his companies — Tron Foundation Limited, BitTorrent Foundation Ltd., and Rainberry Inc. (formerly BitTorrent) — for the unregistered offer and sale of crypto asset securities Tronix (TRX) and BitTorrent (BTT).

The commission accused Sun and his companies of “orchestrating a scheme to pay celebrities to tout TRX and BTT without disclosing their compensation,” which included Lohan, Paul, and DeAndre Cortez Way, otherwise known as American rapper Soulja Boy.

Authorities also named musicians Austin Mahone, Miles Parks McCollum (Lil Yachty), Shaffer Smith (Ne-Yo), Aliaune Thiam (Akon), and adult actress Michele Mason (Kendra Lust) in the complaint.

According to the complaint, unregistered offers and sales violate Section 5 of the Securities Act, which requires all issuers to register non-exempt securities with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

SEC Chair Gary Gensler said in a news release that such charges demonstrate the high risk investors face when crypto asset securities are offered and sold without proper disclosure.

“Sun and his companies not only targeted U.S. investors in their unregistered offers and sales, generating millions in illegal proceeds at the expense of investors, but they also coordinated wash trading on an unregistered trading platform to create the misleading appearance of active trading in TRX,” Gensler said. “Sun further induced investors to purchase TRX and BTT by orchestrating a promotional campaign in which he and his celebrity promoters hid the fact that the celebrities were paid for their tweets.”

According to the complainant, the celebrities fraudulently manipulated the crypto market for Sun’s companies by extensive wash trading, which allegedly involved purchasing and selling securities “to make it appear actively traded without an actual change in beneficial ownership.”

“While we’re neutral about the technologies at issue, we’re anything but neutral when it comes to investor protection,” Gurbir S. Grewal, Director of the SEC’s Division of Enforcement, said.

Grewal called Sun’s move an “age-old playbook” intended to mislead and harm investors, which offers securities without registration and disclosure compliance before manipulating the market for such securities.

“Sun paid celebrities with millions of social media followers to tout the unregistered offerings, while specifically directing that they not disclose their compensation,” he said. “This is the very conduct that the federal securities laws were designed to protect against regardless of the labels Sun and others used.”

Aside from Soulja Boy and singer Austin Mahone, the celebrities accused of touting Sun’s crypto scheme have agreed to pay more than $400,000 in interest and penalties to settle the charges. However, the accused has neither admitted nor denied the allegations.

Andrew Brettler, a lawyer for Lohan, told Reuters the actress was unaware of the disclosure requirements until last March.

“From the outset, she cooperated with the SEC’s investigation and ultimately agreed to disgorge the small amount of money she received and paid a fine to resolve this matter,” her attorney Andrew Brettler said in an emailed statement to the outlet.

Lawyers for Sun and the others named in the complaint either could not be identified, declined to comment, or did not respond immediately to requests for comment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I dont see how this is any different then them being in a commercial. How would they know its fraudulent?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Coinbase is fighting several lawsuits of their own. The SEC is breathing down their necks. I guess that's why they stopped talking to me about fixing the 5 transactions from last year when I threatened to report them to the SEC.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So it looks like everybody's buying XRP right now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    So it looks like everybody's buying XRP right now.
    I still dont like XRP, but I did pickup a new coin for the first time in a long time

https://rendertoken.com/

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I did too actualy. I've been holding for many years so it was a nice little win to see it pop off with the recent news. Bought a bit more at around .75 USD, might dump it all soon though? Not sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (07-20-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bitcoin's on a tear again.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Bitcoin's on a tear again.
    a reflection of the fuckery of the corporate central banking cartel

pump and dump, anyone? you still want SOME...but the true hedge against central banking fuckery shines ever so nicely

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Crypto is humming... I'm going to cash out some gains shortly but the FOMO has me here, I need a crystal ball... where is the top!!