Thread: Evangeline Lilly Lets Loose with her Elf Self in ‘The Hobbit’

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

Movies Evangeline Lilly Lets Loose with her Elf Self in ‘The Hobbit’

“Lost” has been off the air for a little over a year, but that hasn’t stopped the show from sending fresh mysteries into the pop culture processing plant (aka the Web). There was something suspiciously familiar — fated even –about Peter Jackson’s announcement earlier today that he had cast “Lost” alum, Evangeline Lilly, as the Elf Tauriel in his modest little adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. Then it occurred to us it’s not just Lilly’s Pre-Raphaelite tresses and her many hours logged battling unseen evil lurking amid nature’s splendor that make her seem such an obvious fit to play one of Jackson’s diaphanous woodland beauties.

In some twisted vision of today’s pop culture matrix that intermingles actors’ on-camera personae and off-camera relationships, Lilly was part of the Hobbits’ extended family for several years when she dated her “Lost” co-star, Dominic Monaghan, who played Frodo’s wise and loyal Hobbit buddy, Merry Brandybuck in all three “Lord of the Rings” movies.

Though their relationship is now ancient history (Lilly recently had her first baby with her current boyfriend Norman Kali), the memory of their union gives Lilly’s induction into the Elven ranks a sense of fait accompli. If not Lilly, what other wide-eyed ringlet-tressed actress were they going to cast? Keri Russell, Helena Bonham Carter and Julianna Margulies have arguably aged out of contention for the role.

No, it’s all you, Evangline. It always has been. You’ve been slower than your fellow “Lost” castaways to commit to a high profile role that will finally put your days on that vexing island behind her. And though little is known about the particulars of Tauriel — a Jackson-invented character — we’d be willing to wager that this part will prove well worth the wait. Speculation over how and where the new Elf will play into Tolkien’s existing narrative is already ripping through the geekisphere. This analysis floats several interesting theories. Either way, it’ll be interesting to see Lilly’s transformation into a Middle Earth dweller. We’re guessing she’ll seem right at home.

Shelter Dweller Midnight_Beacon's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Interesting. I wonder how they're going to incorporate her since she doesn't exist in the book that I can recall.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    This article is very boring to me... I just can't focus on it...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_Beacon View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how they're going to incorporate her since she doesn't exist in the book that I can recall.
    the name tauriel seems vaguely familiar, I think it's probably some mini-character in the book that they're going to inflate a lot so as to have a female in a starring role, the way they did with Arwen in the Lord of the Rings...

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady Renko View Post
    the name tauriel seems vaguely familiar, I think it's probably some mini-character in the book that they're going to inflate a lot so as to have a female in a starring role, the way they did with Arwen in the Lord of the Rings...
    Nope. They created the character for the film.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    now that's just silly.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

About as silly as eliminating Glorfindel altogether and putting Arwen in Glorfindel's role at Weathertop in Fellowship, but hey, it was still a good flick.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Good choice for an elf...she was in awesome shape when she finished Lost and has a real natural beauty

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    when she dated her “Lost” co-star, Dominic Monaghan,
    I never did understand that hook-up... just what did she see in him? Was he a "big star". or what?
    Gravity Has Gotten The Best Of Me.