Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What does your ideal cabin look like?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    This thread is fucking hilarious

For me I think one big tear is between something near a lake in the 'interior' of BC where it's hot and beautiful all summer but cold as piss in Winter... or something on the ocean where you'll only be able to swim occasionally but it's far more beautiful and temperate year round.

Either way, I'd like to start with something really basic. Maybe some propane for a small fridge and hot water, but mostly it'd be about conservation, living off the grid and slowly building up a simple property over the years. Maybe adding some solar power at one point.

We have one friend who's Dad has taken a tiny 500 sq/ft cabin and built on 3 out-buildings with bunk beds, an outdoor shower and a beautiful deck slowly over summers for the past 20-years. I don't know hardly anything about building but that kind of project would be amazing. Not to mention it'd be a place where our future children would have to live a simple lifestyle in the summers, and could be free to roam around with other kids in a small community all summer and have a childhood I don't think most kids in the city get anymore. I could probably find something for a few hundred thousand, and with the way property prices are going on anything within 5-hours of town, I feel like even though it's a scary thing to do, I want to buy one sooner than later.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (09-13-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    My vacations always take me to new locations, and every where I go I see land for sale which unerringly will have me property searching when I get home.
    It usually takes me about 6 months to realize that I'm not going to be able to get that 10 plus acres thousands of miles from me but It kept me occupied designing something cool. Then I spend the next 6 months planning the up coming vacation.
    I really enjoy backing under my camper and driving toward some destination and seeing whatever crosses our path. I am thankful I was able to cross the Canadian Rockies from by bucket list a couple of years ago.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

Godfather (09-13-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    My vacations always take me to new locations, and every where I go I see land for sale which unerringly will have me property searching when I get home.
    It usually takes me about 6 months to realize that I'm not going to be able to get that 10 plus acres thousands of miles from me but It kept me occupied designing something cool. Then I spend the next 6 months planning the up coming vacation.
    I really enjoy backing under my camper and driving toward some destination and seeing whatever crosses our path. I am thankful I was able to cross the Canadian Rockies from by bucket list a couple of years ago.
    I think that's an awesome way to vacation too, I should rent a camper for a week and see if that life is maybe better suited than settling in one spot.

My wife thinks the same way. We always fall in love with wherever we've been to a cabin, but then I find somewhere else I love too. It'd be hard to pick just one spot, even if you're only looking within a few hundred km of home.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    GF my folks had a cabin out at Hidden Valley on the Siksika Reserve about 1.5 hours east of here. Modern convenience cabins along with a nice nine hole golf course, little lake and the great outdoors. They went out there every weekend from the end of May until the end of September. They bought it when I was around 13 or 14.

It was run by Indians who lived on the Reservation and sad to say, the people that worked there would often steal from the owners and damage property. When crimes were committed, they were given a slap on the hand because it was bad form to prosecute Indian folk on the res. Dad bought the cabin and had to pay yearly lot fees that were often increased without reason.

The 2013 flood in our city that I've been mentioning destroyed the entire resort and it won't be rebuilt. My Dad sold his cabin years before the flood happened because of the native bs as well as the yearly increase in fees.

From the amount of enjoyment my parents got out of it, I'd say go for it and buy something. They had theirs for over 20 years before selling.

*Imagine you're 13 yr old me. Mom walks up - Hey you, we bought a summer cabin and will be going out there every weekend. Are you okay staying by yourself on the weekends?

me -

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    I went to a wedding at Naramata, BC - where the road ends when you are near Pentiction. Such a nice little community - at that time the only accomodation was a Motel and what the groom did was to rent out the place entirely for us, as he knew the owner and got a great rate (something like $20 a unit). So we reimbursed him about $100 each and that was his wedding gift.

Such a nice resort - just walk across the dead-end lane to the lake to your own private beach. While the bride and groom were off on their honeymoon, we had a great time at the place.

That is where I'd ideally would like a cabin - on a lake. There at Naramata, or on Shuswap Lake - also in B.C.

We were camping this year and my wife felt ill, so we had to go to the hospital - over an hour drive away. It drove home the point that I'd want to be nearer medical facilities than where we were on Shuswap Lake. So, somewhere by a lake, maybe 45 minutes away from the nearest hospital (not a clinic - they aren't 24 hours) and maybe an hour drive from civilization.

Funny - I live in a seaside town and I want to go to a lake...
    I adore that area. We were up there earlier this summer in Kaladen south of Penticton right on the Skaha lake which is every bit as awesome as the Shushwap. I'd kill for a spot on that lake but property prices there are redic

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    GF my folks had a cabin out at Hidden Valley on the Siksika Reserve about 1.5 hours east of here. Modern convenience cabins along with a nice nine hole golf course, little lake and the great outdoors. They went out there every weekend from the end of May until the end of September. They bought it when I was around 13 or 14.

It was run by Indians who lived on the Reservation and sad to say, the people that worked there would often steal from the owners and damage property. When crimes were committed, they were given a slap on the hand because it was bad form to prosecute Indian folk on the res. Dad bought the cabin and had to pay yearly lot fees that were often increased without reason.

The 2013 flood in our city that I've been mentioning destroyed the entire resort and it won't be rebuilt. My Dad sold his cabin years before the flood happened because of the native bs as well as the yearly increase in fees.

From the amount of enjoyment my parents got out of it, I'd say go for it and buy something. They had theirs for over 20 years before selling.

*Imagine you're 13 yr old me. Mom walks up - Hey you, we bought a summer cabin and will be going out there every weekend. Are you okay staying by yourself on the weekends?

me -

That's just awesome!! Exactly what I'm talking about. Kids these days need to have some summers running free and I know from friend's experiences that you make some incredible memories and friendships in little summer spots like that. Glad you sold it before all those brutal floods in 2013

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    This thread is fucking hilarious

For me I think one big tear is between something near a lake in the 'interior' of BC where it's hot and beautiful all summer but cold as piss in Winter... or something on the ocean where you'll only be able to swim occasionally but it's far more beautiful and temperate year round.

Either way, I'd like to start with something really basic. Maybe some propane for a small fridge and hot water, but mostly it'd be about conservation, living off the grid and slowly building up a simple property over the years. Maybe adding some solar power at one point.

We have one friend who's Dad has taken a tiny 500 sq/ft cabin and built on 3 out-buildings with bunk beds, an outdoor shower and a beautiful deck slowly over summers for the past 20-years. I don't know hardly anything about building but that kind of project would be amazing. Not to mention it'd be a place where our future children would have to live a simple lifestyle in the summers, and could be free to roam around with other kids in a small community all summer and have a childhood I don't think most kids in the city get anymore. I could probably find something for a few hundred thousand, and with the way property prices are going on anything within 5-hours of town, I feel like even though it's a scary thing to do, I want to buy one sooner than later.
    I pulled into a trailer park recently delivering packages. Ugh, right? But then I noticed enclosed porches off the backs, extended roof lines, and realized they all had docks, many with pontoon boats. Some had carved signed like "the beach house" or "Ron and Carol 1979". They were all on a channel leading to a large lake. And while it may be a mobile home park, per say, it was filled with small vacation homes that the owners maintained very well and very proud of having.

It doesn't have to be something stunning, it can be small and quaint. But most importantly, it's theirs, and they are very proud of it.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    ....it can be small and quaint...it's theirs, and they are very proud of it.
    Are you talking about your junk?

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

It looks like he's talking about other people's junk... which, I guess is ok if he's into that sort of thing.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    This sure is one meandering thread!

Another possibility -- what we ended up doing is buying a tent trailer - very basic. Icebox - and just a heater for comfort. So instead of 1 location, we can go anywhere there's a place to set up, and I go off the grid - no electricity for up to 2 weeks. I have 2 RV batteries that last for about 3 days each, and take about 3 hours to charge. Here's the setup from 2 months ago...

Bought it 11 years ago for $5000...could probably sell it for $2000...

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noilly Pratt For This Useful Post:

Godfather (09-14-2017), Hal-9000 (09-14-2017), RBP (09-13-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    This sure is one meandering thread!

Another possibility -- what we ended up doing is buying a tent trailer - very basic. Icebox - and just a heater for comfort. So instead of 1 location, we can go anywhere there's a place to set up, and I go off the grid - no electricity for up to 2 weeks. I have 2 RV batteries that last for about 3 days each, and take about 3 hours to charge. Here's the setup from 2 months ago...

Bought it 11 years ago for $5000...could probably sell it for $2000...
    But you have to be able to back up a trailer.

I once hauled a car from Savannah, GA to Pittsburgh without ever backing up. That took planning.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Awesome set up Noilly!

You and your fam should check out the campsite on Whitbey Island just over the border in Washington - Fort Ebey. So much fun to explore the bluffs and old abandoned military bunker there. I have such good memories camping there as a kid... but you have to book it well in advance! We used to screw old shoes onto a piece of plywood and surf down the high sandy bluffs
    Last edited by Godfather; 09-14-2017 at 06:26 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-14-2017)