Thread: "C'mon man" and "fuck you" thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    The vids coming out show just insane destruction. Horrible. If anyone has a charity recommendation let us know. I think the Bahamas are one of the less corrupt countries but I'm still skeptical of all these charities that pop up after disasters. I guess Red Cross is a safe bet?

When in doubt, the Red Cross is always a safe bet and they are one of the first that are on the ground to help out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (09-05-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    The vids coming out show just insane destruction. Horrible. If anyone has a charity recommendation let us know. I think the Bahamas are one of the less corrupt countries but I'm still skeptical of all these charities that pop up after disasters. I guess Red Cross is a safe bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    When in doubt, the Red Cross is always a safe bet and they are one of the first that are on the ground to help out.
    Consider Team Rubicon. https://teamrubiconusa.org/

They are US combat veterans who provide rebuilding and humanitarian relief after disasters.

edit:
    Last edited by RBP; 09-07-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: money where my mouth is....
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (09-13-2019), KevinD (09-10-2019), lost in melb. (09-08-2019), Pony (09-07-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (09-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Last night I tried to get to bed early, mostly because no matter what time I go to bed, I'm up early. I don't sleep much anymore, 3 to 4 hours is usually a good night for me. Anyway, told the wife I was going to bed and she said she would take care of the dogs and everything before she came up to bed. Still took awhile to fall asleep and the wife had already come upstairs when all of a sudden two loud electronic chirps pierce the night. Dogs start going bananas and the wife rushes out and heads downstairs. I stay in bed but those two piercing chirps keep repeating every 30 seconds or so. So I head downstairs and the wife has the smoke detector removed from the mount and is trying to figure out how to open the battery cover (they are hardwired in with a battery backup detectors). She's struggling so I step in to help. Luckily the hardwire has a plug you can pull off to disconnect the detector from the wiring. I get it off and get the battery door open. We swap the battery out but it's still chirping and the dogs are still in a panic. I figure maybe it won't stop until it's plugged back into the hardwire. Nope. That didn't do it. So I get it back down and ask the wife if it's a brand new battery or not, and she said she just opened a new package to get it. There's a list on the back of the smoke detector that was written in type that could have only been written under a microscope. So we read down the list and about halfway down we come to 'two quick chirps every 30 seconds' and find out what the issue is. It's a combo smoke detector/CO detector and the CO detector part of it has come to the EOL (end of life) of the device and needs to be replaced.

Really? That's how you have it set to alert people that it needs to be changed? An obnoxious chirping that won't ever stop until you unplug it AND pull the battery? And it can go off at any time? What if it had gone off during the day when no one was home? The dogs would have destroyed the place because of it, they were terrified of it. You couldn't have just used a flashing light or something a little less obnoxious?

Fuck you Kidde!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-10-2019), RBP (10-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    That's one of the reasons why I disregarded the bosses decision to put combo detectors in all our rental properties. Plus they are expensive, and the houses are ALL electric. There is nothing to produce CO.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-10-2019), RBP (10-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    That's one of the reasons why I disregarded the bosses decision to put combo detectors in all our rental properties. Plus they are expensive, and the houses are ALL electric. There is nothing to produce CO.
    Yeah, we already have separate CO detectors in the house (which we just replaced earlier this year). We didn't realize this one was a combo unit, it was already there when we bought the house.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hope you got the dogs calmed down, I know especially in their "safe" environment it can really fuck them up to get freaked out like that. My sisters dog took a week to get back to normal. Was shaking for almost two days.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Last night I tried to get to bed early, mostly because no matter what time I go to bed, I'm up early. I don't sleep much anymore, 3 to 4 hours is usually a good night for me. Anyway, told the wife I was going to bed and she said she would take care of the dogs and everything before she came up to bed. Still took awhile to fall asleep and the wife had already come upstairs when all of a sudden two loud electronic chirps pierce the night. Dogs start going bananas and the wife rushes out and heads downstairs. I stay in bed but those two piercing chirps keep repeating every 30 seconds or so. So I head downstairs and the wife has the smoke detector removed from the mount and is trying to figure out how to open the battery cover (they are hardwired in with a battery backup detectors). She's struggling so I step in to help. Luckily the hardwire has a plug you can pull off to disconnect the detector from the wiring. I get it off and get the battery door open. We swap the battery out but it's still chirping and the dogs are still in a panic. I figure maybe it won't stop until it's plugged back into the hardwire. Nope. That didn't do it. So I get it back down and ask the wife if it's a brand new battery or not, and she said she just opened a new package to get it. There's a list on the back of the smoke detector that was written in type that could have only been written under a microscope. So we read down the list and about halfway down we come to 'two quick chirps every 30 seconds' and find out what the issue is. It's a combo smoke detector/CO detector and the CO detector part of it has come to the EOL (end of life) of the device and needs to be replaced.

Really? That's how you have it set to alert people that it needs to be changed? An obnoxious chirping that won't ever stop until you unplug it AND pull the battery? And it can go off at any time? What if it had gone off during the day when no one was home? The dogs would have destroyed the place because of it, they were terrified of it. You couldn't have just used a flashing light or something a little less obnoxious?

Fuck you Kidde!
    I ran into the same problem right down to trying to figure out what the chirps meant. Strange part for me, two of the detectors started doing it the weekend we switch daylight savings time. That's when manufacturers suggest when you should check the batteries and test your detectors.

Seemed a little too on the nose when both of them start chirping that particular weekend, like they had been programmed to do it. I had bought all new detectors the year before and all of mine are battery powered, not hardwired.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The new condo building I work at the detectors are hardwired, battery backup and linked together, If one goes off they all go off.

Great in theory but in reality if you have a false alarm it's a pain in the ass to figure out which one set off the system. Running through the condo with 8 smoke detectors blasting on the ceiling, carrying a step stool checking each one until you find the correct one that resets the system is a pain in the ass. My ears were ringing for hours. Turns out a guest had left the shower curtain un-tucked, water seeped through the floor by the tub and right into the detector. Really bad layout having an electrical box below a water source.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-10-2019), RBP (10-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    My I install the expensive ones that last 10 years, then just chuck and replace. At least I know there's 10 years of peace...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So the federal student loan forgiveness program includes government and non-profits. Turns out that since the government chose to contract out my portion of the labor, I don't qualify. I work in the same facility with people that do, since it is based on the employer not the work duties nor work location. C'mon man. Fuck you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    $994 in deductions from my 2-week paycheck. $284 for benefits, $710 in taxes. And they want me to vote for Bernie or Lizzie? C'mon man.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-25-2019), Muddy (10-25-2019), Pony (10-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    $994 in deductions from my 2-week paycheck. $284 for benefits, $710 in taxes. And they want me to vote for Bernie or Lizzie? C'mon man.
    Sounds like you have enough left over that you can send more C'mon man

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (10-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have enough left over that you can send more C'mon man

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Muddy (10-25-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Hey Greta, it's cool that you believe in something and all that, but it took me an hour to drive home my usual 15 minute commute from work. Can't you do this shit on a Sunday? Fuck you

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-25-2019), RBP (10-26-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (10-25-2019)