Thread: Join the fight for net neutrality

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts

Nerds Join the fight for net neutrality

Hey,

I think this could use discussion outside the News forum (you can delete my post there if you wish). The F.C.C. Plans Net Neutrality Repeal in Victory for Telecoms. I believe this is very much a bipartisan, and an international issue. Even non-Americans will be effected as it could influence what sites flourish, and how they're accessed if the internet is parceled off by ISP's.

Some examples of what you are facing if Net Neutrality falls:
    • Popular sites like Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, could be throttled or blocked depending on your plan or geographic location
    • You could lose the option of choosing where to shop on-line, or have to pay more for the right to shop at your favorite site
    • Smaller streaming sites like Crunchroll and Funimation could suffer at the hands of powerful competing services like Amazon partnered with ISP's
    • You could even lose or have access to your favorite adult-websites throttled

Arguments in favor of ending net neutrality
    • There isn't precedent in the US for the government to protect net neutrality any more than utilities.
    • Phone and Cable TV services are not protected and are basically fine being defined my market economics
    • Since providing internet has no ostensible externalities associated with it, the argument would generally go that the market for internet services will reach a more efficient outcome by abolishing net neutrality.
    • Internet users with limited needs for the internet may pay less by only purchasing plans that provide superior service to the limited number of sites they use

Helpful Links:
    Here are some videos that explain the issue:

Options if you decide to fight for Net Neutrality:

- battleforthenet.com has a website set up to assist you in calling your local congress representatives. - https://www.battleforthenet.com/?utm...ess-we-stop-it
    - https://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home
    - Here are the people who will be voting on this issue - only five people. As it stands, they will repeal Net Neutrality. (3 Republicans are voting to abolish, 2 Democrats are voting to keep it)
    - Lookup your Representative and lookup your Senator and let them know your stance on the issue.
    Last edited by Godfather; 11-22-2017 at 03:01 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (11-22-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    #voted

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,841 Times in 8,179 Posts
    so we want to be net neutral, not chaotic evil or lawful good.

ok

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Interesting Time For Real Net Neutrality

Roger Stone - The Daily Caller Op Ed

In 2015, when writing his dissenting opinion against FCC 15-24 — formally known as the Report and Order on Remand, Declaratory Ruling, and Order in the Matter of Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet, but commonly referred to as ‘Net Neutrality,” — Federal Communications Commission Commissioner Ajit Pai had this to say:

“This is not only a radical departure from the bipartisan, market-oriented policies that have served us so well for the last two decades. It is also an about-face from the proposals the FCC made just last May. So why is the FCC changing course? Why is the FCC turning its back on Internet freedom? Is it because we now have evidence that the Internet is not open? No. Is it because we have discovered some problem with our prior interpretation of the law? No. We are flip-flopping for one reason and one reason alone. President Obama told us to do so.”

The singular reason why this-so called “Net Neutrality” came to the forefront is because then President Barack Obama ordered it. And who was prodding Obama to do so? Google. Microsoft. Facebook. Twitter. Amazon.

The Tech Left, funded largely by George Soros, had decided to champion under the banner of a benign-sounding “Net Neutrality” campaign and seize a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to grab the moral high ground in their determination to allow the giant edge providers to censor the Internet to suit their ideological preferences — ridding the Internet of conservative and libertarian content.

Google was especially vested, as the tech giant helped write the 2015 net neutrality rules and Google employees had more access to the White House during Barak Obama’s term than did Lois Lerner.

In the words of the other dissenting FCC commissioner, Michael O’Reilly, Net Neutrality is not “forbearance” but rather “faux-bearance.” This coined word invokes the bogus nature of the claim that Net Neutrality promotes a fair and free market Internet, with a neutral level playing field.

The term “forbearance,” in FCC parlance, means that the FCC can elect not to apply rules in specific instances and to specific entities. The FCC can pick and choose whom to regulate vigorously and whom to give a free pass. This is de-facto creation of winners and losers by governmental fiat.

The truth is the Tech Left crafted “Net Neutrality” rules to regulate the Internet under Title II specifications that defined Internet Service Providers — the companies like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T that plug you to into the internet — to be bound by “Net Neutrality” rules, demanding that the internet service providers treat all edge providers equally.

But since the giant edge providers — companies like Google, Facebook, and Twitter — are content providers, they are exempt from “Net Neutrality” rules, free to restrain content by censoring out all conservative and libertarian views at will, without so much as an explanation to anyone why the objectionable views were banned..

The “Net Neutrality” rules as written by the Soros-funded Tech Left coalition would apply only internet service providers (ISPs), because under Title II only these ISPs (not the giant edge providers) are considered “common carriers,” defined under the Federal Communications Act as if their role on the Internet constituted nothing more than the Alexander Graham Bell telephone companies that were around 83 years ago, when the Federal Communications Act was passed.

The giant edge providers under “Net Neutrality” rules elevate themselves to the new dimension of “Internet information providers” that live in a realm above the lowly ISP “common carrier” Internet plug-in companies.

Abiding in this higher realm, lowly regulators need concern themselves with ruling upon the wisdom and judgment giant edge providers like Google, Facebook and Twitter exercise in passing their ideological judgments.

Giant internet content providers breathing the refined air of Soros-funded Silicon Valley see no problem defining “Net Neutrality” in a way that negates the First Amendment for conservative and libertarian views they despise. They are confident in their judgment that the First Amendment is nothing more than a primitive rule that derives from a by-gone era when printing presses were the ruling communications technology.

Neuro-linguistic programmatic word-play is a hallmark of the Left.

Consider the “Affordable Care Act” which makes healthcare less affordable, “Common Core” which lowers education to the lowest common denominator, “Global Food Security” which ironically increases world hunger and the “USA Freedom Act” which decreases freedom and liberty for all Americans.

“Net Neutrality” gives the US Federal Government the power to choose winners and losers, in an egregiously partisan manner. “Net Neutrality” says nothing about neutrality and everything about governmental control and nepotistic picking of favorites — the very opposite of neutrality.

Picking the winners wasn’t enough for Team Obama and his rabid leftists. They also wanted to create losers by punishing opponents with the cudgel of insurmountable and cryptic government regulations.

FCC Commissioner Michael O’Reilly identifies this point as part of the opening statement of his dissenting opinion:

“Today a majority of the Commission attempts to usurp the authority of Congress by re-writing the Communications Act to suit its own “values” and political ends. The item claims to forbear from certain monopoly-era Title II regulations while reserving the right to impose them using other provisions or at some point in the future.”

He later said “This statutory shell game seems to be height of arbitrary and capricious rulemaking.”

The American people were sold a bill-of-goods with FCC 15-24.

We were told that forcing cable providers to allow anyone to use their infrastructure would increase competition and industry investment. Exactly the opposite has occurred. Broadband choice has not expanded and broadband investment actually declined in the years since the passage of the so-called net neutrality rules, undoing a decade long trend of ever greater investment.

“Net Neutrality” has also failed to keep the internet free and open. By providing forbearance cover to their Silicon Valley political patrons, the FCC functionaries empowered during the Obama administration look the other way as the First Amendment rights of millions of Americans with conservative- or libertarian-minded viewpoints have been trampled.

By establishing itself as the sole regulator and arbiter of the structural basis of the internet, the FCC has legalized censorship, allowing Soros-funded groups to run rampant spreading the most violent messages possible, while at the same time aggressively censoring Trump supporters and patriotic Americans who desire only to make their country great again. In the Obama years, complaints to the single regulating body, the FCC, were expected to fall upon deaf ears.

If Donald J. Trump had not won the election in 2016, there is little question that the vibrant alternative media that exists today would be but a dim shadow of its current self. Even today, calls for outright censorship of Breitbart, Drudge Report, and Infowars are screeched out of the same mouths that call for “fairness” of content.

When the Obama-appointed partisans passed FCC 15-24 in their 3-2 vote, dissenter Ajit Pai closed his comments with:

“At the beginning of this proceeding, I quoted Google’s former CEO, Eric Schmidt, who once said: ‘The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand.’

This proceeding makes abundantly clear that the FCC still doesn’t get it.

But the American people clearly do. The threat to Internet freedom has awakened a sleeping giant. And I am optimistic that we will look back on today’s vote as an aberration, a temporary deviation from the bipartisan path that has served us so well. I don’t know whether this plan will be vacated by a court, reversed by Congress, or overturned by a future Commission. But I do believe that its days are numbered.

For all of these reasons, I dissent.”

How fortunately ironic that it is Ajit Pai himself, as the Trump-appointed chair of the FCC, that will pull the plug on the ill-intended act called “Net Neutrality.”

President Trump’s FCC is absolutely right to roll back these rules, which applied only to broadband service providers like Comcast, Verizon and AT&T.

In closing, this glaring example of a ham-handed attempt to abuse governmental power for partisan gain demonstrates clearly that Congress needs to act quickly to establish protections for American consumers so that all companies play by the same rules. Nobody should be allowed to block content. Social media has become the new “public square”, and First Amendment protections equally apply.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    so this bill was repealed I guess..

To avoid most of the histrionics I'm seeing on Reddit and Imgur, what does this actually mean in concrete terms?

eg I watch not so legal streaming TV shows from a site. Is my ISP going to somehow prevent this now?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    so this bill was repealed I guess..

To avoid most of the histrionics I'm seeing on Reddit and Imgur, what does this actually mean in concrete terms?

eg I watch not so legal streaming TV shows from a site. Is my ISP going to somehow prevent this now?
    It means we go back to 2 years ago before the law was passed....which is the same that it is now. Most of the doomsday crap being spouted is just what you called it, histrionics.

And I have no idea how a US law would affect your ISP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (12-15-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (12-15-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    It means we go back to 2 years ago before the law was passed....which is the same that it is now. Most of the doomsday crap being spouted is just what you called it, histrionics.

And I have no idea how a US law would affect your ISP
    That's part of why I asked. There's a fair amount of Canadians on those sites making the same doomsday posts.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That article has more than four lines.

I'll get Muddy to give me the breakdown.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    I think in big areas with lots of choice, there will be very little change in the short term. But if you have only 1 internet provider available to you, like in small towns miles from anywhere, the temptation may be for them to up their prices, or throttle certain programs that use copious amounts of data because it's a drag on he overall bandwidth unless you pay more -- they know there's no legislation to stop them now.

What may happen is what is happening in some other countries with phone data - where they have one SIM card for a phone that will give them WhatsApp access for free, then another SIM card that gives them access to some other program. For them a 1 size fits all solution is very expensive and with the affordable basic package a lot of the popular programs (Youtube, WhatsApp etc) are throttled back unless you pay up.

But if the people refuse to pay, then they know they will go bankrupt, so they won't do anything. Right now, it's wait-and-see what the providers are going to do with this new-found power. Plus if they do start throttling things back, there's nothing stopping local governments from enacting stuff to stop this I don't think.

So the short answer is, you might not notice a difference, or you might depending on how the providers react and how their customers react back.

Interesting times ahead...

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

This is messed up. This is Mackenzie Astin, star of Garbage Pail Kids. Sean Astin's brother, of LOTR, Goonies, and Stranger Things fame. His mom was actress Patty Duke.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The people who say "The internet was fine before 2015" just don't get it, and shouldn't fall for that bullshit party line

The internet has always had net neutrality. Violations of this unspoken code were what prompted codifying net neutrality into law. Now we're going back to a situation where the net neutrality that the internet had since its very inception can be violated again unopposed.
    Last edited by Godfather; 12-16-2017 at 03:08 AM.