Thread: Goodell defends NFL's massive planned donation for social justice causes

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Stupid Goodell defends NFL's massive planned donation for social justice causes

By Frank Miles | Fox News

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday defended the league's move to pay nearly $90 million to social justice causes supported by some players, despite critics' claims that it was meant purely to appease activist athletes, including those who have kneeled during the national anthem this year.

“We have a unique opportunity here for NFL players and for NFL owners to work together,” Goodell said, according to NBC Sports. “This is a result of unprecedented dialogue and cooperation between NFL players, ownership and our office over the last year.”

Goodell spoke with Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins and retired wide receiver Anquan Boldin, founders of the Players Coalition.

Boldin said the league’s commitment to players’ causes isn’t an indication that players would stop protesting. The kneeling has drawn steady criticism from President Donald Trump as well as football fans across America.

“This deal for us was never about telling guys what they can or can’t do. It was never about telling guys that they can’t protest or to stop protesting. This agreement was the NFL listening to the concerns of its players and responding in a like matter,” Boldin said to NBC Sports.

“We want to take money out of sending people to jail and put it toward education and opportunities for economic advancement,” Jenkins added.

There already has been pushback about the NFL going forward with making charitable donations to players’ causes, including criminal justice reform, law enforcement-community relations and education.

Jim Hanson, president of Security Studies Group, who is a Green Bay Packers stockholder, wrote in a Fox News opinion piece about Goodell’s move despite the continued protests.

“…The owners will get nothing from the players in return. No promise to stop disrespecting the national anthem or any other meaningful concessions,” Hanson, who served in the U.S. Army Special Forces, wrote.

Last week, San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid called the deal “a charade.”

In an interview with Slate, Reid said Jenkins told him the donations wouldn’t come from new money. Donations would come “from funds that are already allocated to breast cancer awareness and Salute to Service,” Slate reported, meaning the league would “just move the money from those programs to this one.”

In a memo sent to the 32 teams on Friday and obtained by The Associated Press, each NFL team was asked to contribute to the plan, much of which will be funded through “cause related events and consumer products sales, auctions and other promotional sources,” as well as contributions from clubs.

Last week, according to The Associated Press, Reid said he left the coalition because Jenkins excluded Colin Kaepernick from meetings, and asked players if they would stop protesting the anthem if the NFL made a charitable donation to causes they support.

Kaepernick began the kneeling demonstrations in the 2016 preseason, and Reid was the first player to join the protests. Kaepernick was not signed by any team this year as a free agent.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-05-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I love Marshawn Lynchs special cause... "Black Power"... I do not like that mother fucker..

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I love Marshawn Lynchs special cause... "Black Power"... I do not like that mother fucker..

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The 60s back when there really was racial inequality..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-05-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The 60s back when there really was racial inequality..
    Now they've created narratives to ignore the obvious cultural and economic issues. I have it said 1000 times... I have more in common with a middle class black man than a poor white man.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Now they've created narratives to ignore the obvious cultural and economic issues. I have it said 1000 times... I have more in common with a middle class black man than a poor white man.
    I see normal hard working black people all the time and its like we spot each other as being normal and we are all handshakes and good wishes and "I tell you what, bro" type of stuff..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-05-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I see normal hard working black people all the time and its like we spot each other as being normal and we are all handshakes and good wishes and "I tell you what, bro" type of stuff..
    Exactly. If I get called racist, it's for either despising ghetto culture or not understanding the way poor people act. Those are not racial issues, they are cultural and economic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Exactly. If I get called racist, it's for either despising ghetto culture or not understanding the way poor people act. Those are not racial issues, they are cultural and economic.
    I go to the gym with some solid dudes that are black and white and hispaniccy.. We don't give a shit about color. At least that's the vibe I feel. You read some of these news stories though and social media comments and you would think the complete opposite. We are fucking laughing and lifting and having a good time together.. Always supporting each other positive gym experience..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-05-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    hispaniccy

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    hispaniccy
    Well... There are more than 3 colors in this country.. You can be all kinds of mixtures! I'm not trying to figure it all out. (even though I usually ask..) haha

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i have more than 3 colors in my lab right now