Thread: Jerusalem status: Saudis condemn Trump's announcement

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts

Awesome Jerusalem status: Saudis condemn Trump's announcement

Saudi Arabia has condemned the US decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital, amid growing international criticism of the move.
    In a statement, the Gulf kingdom said President Donald Trump's announcement was "unjustified and irresponsible".
    But Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu hailed it as "a historic day".
    President Trump's move reversed decades of US policy. The fate of Jerusalem is one of the thorniest issues between Israel and the Palestinians.
    Eight of the 15 nations who are currently members of the United Nations Security Council have called for the body to hold an urgent meeting on the US decision by the end of the week.
    Why is this significant?
    Mr Trump's Wednesday announcement puts the US at odds with the rest of the international community's view on Jerusalem's status.

The Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a future state, and according to the 1993 Israel-Palestinian peace accords, its final status is meant to be discussed in the latter stages of peace talks.

Israeli sovereignty over Jerusalem has never been recognised internationally, and until now all countries have maintained their embassies in Tel Aviv.
    Jerusalem contains sites sacred to the three major monotheistic faiths - Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
    East Jerusalem, which includes the Old City, was annexed by Israel after the Six Day War of 1967, but is not internationally recognised as part of Israel.

The US president said he had "judged this course of action to be in the best interests of the United States of America, and the pursuit of peace between Israel and the Palestinians".
    He said he was directing the US state department to begin preparations to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
    Despite warnings of regional unrest over any such move, the decision fulfils a campaign promise and appeals to Mr Trump's right-wing base.
    "Today, I am delivering," the US leader said.
    Recognising Jerusalem as Israel's capital was "nothing more or less than a recognition of reality", he added. "It is also the right thing to do."
    The Republican Jewish Coalition have already thanked the president in a New York Times ad.
    Mr Trump said the US still supported a two-state solution to the longstanding Israeli-Palestinian conflict, if approved by both sides, which would essentially see the creation of an independent Palestinian state living alongside Israel.

In response, Mr Netanyahu said Israel was profoundly grateful to President Trump.
    "Jerusalem has been the focus of our hopes, our dreams, our prayers for three millennia," he tweeted.
    Meanwhile, the US has asked Israel to temper its response to Mr Trump's announcement because Washington expects a backlash, Reuters news agency reports citing a state department document.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said the city was the "eternal capital of the state of Palestine".
    He called Mr Trump's announcement "deplorable", saying the US could no longer be a peace broker.

There were demonstrations in Gaza against the decision before it was announced in response to a call from the Islamist Hamas movement that runs the Gaza strip, local pro-Hamas media reported.
    Hamas said that Mr Trump's decision would "open the doors of hell" on US interests in the region.
    What does the rest of the world say?
    The Arab and the wider Muslim world - including a number of US allies - condemned Mr Trump's announcement.
    Demonstrations have already taken outside the US consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
    "The US move represents a significant decline in efforts to push a peace process and is a violation of the historically neutral American position on Jerusalem," the Saudi royal court said.
    Malaysian PM Najib Razak called on Muslims everywhere to "make it clear that we strongly oppose" the US move.
    UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said it was "a moment of great anxiety". He said "there is no alternative to the two-state solution".
    In other reaction:
    British PM Theresa May said she disagreed with the US decision, which was "unhelpful in terms of prospects for peace in the region"
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron both said their countries did not support the move
    EU chief diplomat Federica Mogherini voiced "serious concern"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42261000

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I think this was a bad move. Why wade deeper into that shitstorm over there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

redred (12-07-2017)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    that whole area seems on a knife edge and i'm pretty sure this won't help but on the plus side you'll get more arms trade from it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redred For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (12-07-2017)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I think this was a bad move. Why wade deeper into that shitstorm over there.
    You do know it was Bill Clinton that started the whole Jerusalem thing?

However, US leaders have routinely and unceremoniously delayed such a move since President Bill Clinton signed a law in 1995 stipulating that the US must relocate its diplomatic presence to Jerusalem, unless the commander in chief issues a waiver on national security grounds.
    And other presidents made an issue of it too.

Former President Bill Clinton made Jerusalem a campaign issue in 1992, attacking then-former President George H.W. Bush for having allegedly “repeatedly challenged Israel’s sovereignty over a united Jerusalem” and vowing to move the embassy during his administration.

Clinton, however, believed moving the embassy and recognizing the capital may derail his many attempts at brokering a peace deal between Israelis and Palestinians.

The cycle appeared to repeat itself once again during the 2000 U.S. presidential election when former President George W. Bush castigated Clinton for failing to follow through on his embassy promise and vowing to get the process started in his few months in office. Bush never made a concerted effort towards moving the embassy and became embroiled his own Middle East conflicts.

Former President Barack Obama himself never attacked Bush or Clinton for not moving the embassy to Jerusalem but declared in a 2008 campaign speech, “Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided.”
    But of course it's only an issue when Trump says it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Yeah, but Trump actually did it.

If this is as far as it goes, no harm. But history shows otherwise.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    that whole area seems on a knife edge and i'm pretty sure this won't help but on the plus side you'll get more arms trade from it
    It's sick, I tell ya. Sick!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Yeah, but Trump actually did it.

If this is as far as it goes, no harm. But history shows otherwise.
    So, Trump following a law signed by Bill Clinton makes Trump the bad guy? Gotcha, makes perfect sense

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    So, Trump following a law signed by Bill Clinton makes Trump the bad guy? Gotcha, makes perfect sense
    He's moving the embassy, so my understanding is he's making concrete something that was on paper. He was under no obligation to do this.

I think the point muddy and red are making is any favouritism one way or another inflames shit, regardless of whether it's 'the right thing to do'

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The Middle East is fucked. It's been fucked for more than a thousand years, and unless mankind exterminates itself, it will most likely be fucked for another 1000 years or more. Does the United States declaring that it intends to move its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem help things? No, it doesn't, I'm not arguing that point. However, in the grand scheme of things, portraying this as what's going to set the Muslims off (again) is ridiculous.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You do know it was Bill Clinton that started the whole Jerusalem thing?
    I dont, but past presidents (especially Democrats) never influenced Trump on anything. He did this because he wanted to. No one forces that guy to do anything.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I dont, but past presidents (especially Democrats) never influenced Trump on anything. He did this because he wanted to. No one forces that guy to do anything.
    I'm not saying that Trump was influenced by anything, I'm simply saying that Bill Clinton is the one that signed into law a bill requiring the United States to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and that the US embassy needed to be moved there.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the Middle East and wish we could just pull all US assets out and let them have at it. But unfortunately, from all the terrorist attacks around the globe, it's not a self contained situation and it would quickly spread out of control. But IMHO, I don't think there will EVER be peace in that region. The hatred and fighting goes back thousands of years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (12-07-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I just see it as more trouble for us.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (12-07-2017), redred (12-07-2017)