Thread: Horse racing-Two horses die in paddock incident, racing off

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

Horse racing-Two horses die in paddock incident, racing off

I was wondering why my bets today had been refunded

Racing at Newbury was abandoned on Saturday after two horses collapsed and died in the parade ring.

The horses were being paraded before the first race when they fell to the ground to the astonishment of onlookers. Stewards later abandoned the rest of the meeting, the racecourse said in a short statement on its website

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    jesus there will no doubt be an inquest into it seeing as they was only in the parading square

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Info from the Newbury racecourse site

The start of Race 1, the totepool Novices Hurdle at Newbury Racecourse was delayed today following an incident in the parade ring prior to the race when two horses collapsed and died. The horses were Marching Song trained by Andy Turnell and Fenix Two trained by Jonjo O’Neill.

Due to the fact that the cause of the incident has not been established, a joint decision by the Racecourse Executive and the BHA Stewards has been made to abandon racing following the first race.

Joint Managing Director Stephen Higgins stated, “This is a very sad day and our thoughts are with all the connections of the two horses who died. Whilst the causes of this incident are still unknown, for safety reasons we unfortunately had to abandon as our only course of action.”

Racegoers who have purchased tickets for today’s raceday are advised to contact the racecourse next week when they will be able to claim refunds under the abandonment policy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    sounds all very suspicious to me especially pre race, I mean these animals are at the pinnicle of health, they are athletes of the animal kingdom.....they don't just drop down dead for no reason....just like our athletes and sports peeps wouldn't

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Watching C4 racing, apparently they were electrocuted Something to do with the electric cables running under the ground in the paddock........

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    More details from the Racing Post website

AN investigation was underway at Newbury on Saturday afternoon after their meeting was abandoned following an extraordinary incident before the first race when two horses died in the parade ring.

Fenix Two and Marching Song both collapsed within ten yards of each other at the western end of the paddock and speculation has mounted on the track that it may have been due to some kind of electrical incident.

The first race took place as scheduled after vets checked the remainder of the runners at the start as Kid Cassidy had seemed to wobble before leaving the paddock. He was subsequently withdrawn.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that some of the runners who took part in the race appeared to have burn marks around their mouths when their tack was removed.

Graham Thorner, co-owner of Marching Song, was in tears in the paddock and the horse's trainer Andrew Turnell said: "I was just about to leg up [jockey] Nick Scholfield when the horse veered away and collapsed. He was dead within ten seconds. There is a feeling he may have been electrocuted."

Thorner's co-owner Robert Garner said: "One of the horses had done a real strange cavorting move and then ours came round and went over and couldn't get up like a normal horse. I'm told when they went to touch him they got an electric shock and then when they went to take the head collar off they got another shock."

Kid Cassidy's trainer Nicky Henderson added: "It is impossible to know what happened. My horse did something peculiar before those two went down. He was down on the ground on his hind legs. Luckily he got back up on to the rubber.

"I went down to the start with him and then I took him out. It appears that there is a problem area in the parade ring so you can see their point as one can not risk this happening again. It was the most horrific thing I think I have seen. I have been racing for 33 years and I have never seen anything like it."

Speculation was circulating that there was an electric shock from a cable under the paddock which would affect the horses with aluminium shoes, but not humans, although this has not been confirmed.

Stipendiary steward Paul Barton said: "After those horses collapsed in the parade ring we took the decision that it was safe to continue with the rest of the meeting. After running the first race we isolated that area and some of the trainers were uncomfortable with continuing.

"We had a meeting with the racecourse executive and at that meeting, because we could not establish what the causes of death of the two horses were, the executive weren't comfortable with continuing on health and safety grounds and therefore we had no decision but to abandon.

"A post-mortem will be carried out on the two horses that sadly died in the parade ring. We are going to try and interview people connected with those horses as well as the veterinary team.

"We want to interview the lads with the horses and also some ofthe trainers and jockeys to try and establish what it is."

Barton defended the decision to run the first race. He added: "They were extremely unusual circumstances. At the time we did not know whether those horses had had a heart attack, we did not know what had happened. We had all the horses examined by the veterinary surgeons before they raced. These are highly unusual circumstances - I have never seen anything like this before.

"After the race, as we got more information obviously the decision making process changed."

Clerk of the course Richard Osgood added: "One has to be aware of the duty of care to the public, trainers, jockeys and to the equine."

Osgood said he was unaware of any electric cable under the parade ring, with the main feed coming at the other side of the racecourse, although he added there could be some old cables there he was unaware of.

Paul Nicholls said that if the racecourse could be deemed safe, he would be in favour of the meeting being rearranged for Wednesday. "The horses are ready to run and it would be great if we could get the meeting on in the next week, hopefully Wednesday. I understand why they had to call it of today - they didn't really have any alternative."

The racecourse management announced that racegoers who were at Newbury on Saturday will be given a full refund.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    How the hell can something like that be allowed to happen?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They were talking on C4 Racing on tv that the danger with an electrical current underground is that there is a different current level going through the horses front legs than their back legs (due to the distance apart) coupled with the face they have aluminium horseshoes on and are also less resistant to shock, humans wouldnt have noticed it at all apparently. Ill post more details as and when they're released

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Brutal, poor horsies

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    it's crazy what happened the trainers are saying it's lucky only two died it could have been more ,i've been watching it on the news all weekend and looks to be a very random accident that will unlikely never be seen again

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    crazy incident like didnt realise you had a bet on them goofy

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    Newbury horses were electrocuted
    A British Horseracing Authority (BHA) investigation has concluded the deaths of two horses at Newbury were caused by "accidental electrocution".

Fenix Two and Marching Song died in the paddock on Saturday and post-mortems revealed both suffered heart attacks - no suspicious substances were detected.

An electricity cable which ran beneath the parade ring has since been disconnected and removed.

The BHA has confirmed Friday's rescheduled meeting can go ahead.

Professor Tim Morris, director of equine science and welfare for the BHA, said: "The authority has been officially informed that there was leakage of electricity from a cable under the parade ring in the area where the incident occurred.

I would like to stress again that Southern Electric has confirmed that there was no danger to the public on Saturday
    Newbury joint managing director Stephen Higgins
    "There was immediate veterinary attention, and our inquiry on the day noted the racecourse veterinary surgeons felt a tingling sensation when examining the horses, and that the veterinary surgeons noted particular clinical signs such as muscle contractions.

"Both horses that died, Marching Song and Fenix Two, have undergone post-mortem examinations which showed sudden cardiac arrest as the cause of death.

"Samples taken from the horses affected have shown no evidence of substances that could have caused this incident.

"These findings are all consistent with the cause of death being accidental electrocution and at this stage we are not investigating any other cause of death.

"I can also confirm that, contrary to speculation, no evidence of any burn marks around the mouth was found on post-mortem examination, neither were such marks found by the veterinary surgeons on the horses at the start."

The two horses died on Saturday before the first race, which was run before the remainder of the meeting was abandoned.

Newbury officials have assured the BHA the parade ring area is safe for use by horses and humans and that electricity cables within the racecourse are operating within required safety standards.

But energy providers Southern Electric Power Distribution are continuing their investigation to establish the cause of the leakage.

"I would like to stress again that Southern Electric has confirmed that there was no danger to the public on Saturday," said Newbury's joint managing director Stephen Higgins.

"Once again we would like to extend our condolences to the connections of those horses and will continue to liaise with those affected."

Kid Cassidy and The Merry Giant were two other horses affected by the leakage although The Merry Giant has since recovered from the incident, according to his trainer Rebecca Curtis.

The rescheduled meeting starts at 1210 GMT on Friday, when several Cheltenham Festival contenders are set to run in races including the Game Spirit Chase, the Aon Chase and the Totesport Trophy.

Story from BBC SPORT:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/spo...ng/9400599.stm