#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Obvious Bono Says Music 'Has Gotten Very Girly'

By Stephanie Chase - Contact Music

Bono has described the current music scene as “very girly”, adding that “hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment.”

The U2 frontman made the comments during an interview with Rolling Stone, after revealing that his children help him discover new music.

“Jordan is a music snob, an indie snob. Eve is hip-hop. Elijah is in a band, and he has got very strong feelings about music, but he doesn't make any distinction between, let's say, the Who and the Killers. Or, you know, Nirvana and Royal Blood.” Bono said.

“It is not generational for him. It is the sound and what he is experiencing. He believes that a rock and roll revolution is around the corner,” he continued.

When asked if he also believed rock and roll revolution is around the corner, Bono said, “I think music has gotten very girly. And there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment – and that's not good.

“When I was 16, I had a lot of anger in me. You need to find a place for it and for guitars, whether it is with a drum machine – I don't care. The moment something becomes preserved, it is f***king over. You might as well put it in formaldehyde.

“In the end, what is rock & roll?” he added. “Rage is at the heart of it. Some great rock & roll tends to have that, which is why The Who were such a great band. Or Pearl Jam. Eddie has that rage.”

Bono also revealed in the interview that he had a near-death experience during the making of ‘Songs of Experience’, but chose not to elaborate further.

“People have these extinction events in their lives,” he said. “It could be psychological or it could be physical. And, yes, it was physical for me, but I think I have spared myself all that soap opera.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I think he's going to get into trouble for that comment

People can put this guy down all they want. They've done some good things for charities and he's not the only guy who mixed his political beliefs with his music. Look at most artists in the 60's...

Anyways, saw this band live and they were incredible. Top five concert I've seen for sure.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    200 women are sitting at their computer with this article open and a word document open, figuring out the details of their fictitious sexual assault encounter at the hands of Bono.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (12-29-2017), lost in melb. (12-29-2017), Pony (12-29-2017), Teh One Who Knocks (12-29-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    200 women are sitting at their computer with this article open and a word document open, figuring out the details of their fictitious sexual assault encounter at the hands of Bono.
    They are zillionaires so this won't matter much...but you know that one 'girly' comment just cost them a few million in sales, some iTunes protests and a few Twitter wars.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Their best years are behind them anyway. The last album I picked up was Zooropa, and it was such a far departure from everything they've done before that it threw me off. Besides, it was the 90s, the musical landscape had changed in a favorable way for me, and I was moving in a different direction. I haven't really heard anything since that's turned my attention back in their direction.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Their best years are behind them anyway. The last album I picked up was Zooropa, and it was such a far departure from everything they've done before that it threw me off. Besides, it was the 90s, the musical landscape had changed in a favorable way for me, and I was moving in a different direction. I haven't really heard anything since that's turned my attention back in their direction.
    The tour I saw was right after all of their Pop Mart and Zooropa shit. Kind of a back to basics tour. Bono came out, apologized for the ticket price and they proceeded to play over 2 hours of what I thought was hard rocking music. Better and different than their typical jerk off guitar style you hear on most songs. The Edge can play blues....never knew. And their drummer is probably the most underrated musician on the planet.

Coolest opening for a live show I've seen. All of the house lights were still on (super bright), the band came out one at a time from under the stage, no announcement and walked on stage. They looked like roadies to me...until my girlfriend absolutely lost her shit and started screaming - That's Bono, that's him!!!

People were still getting beers and tshirts in the concourse, no one really paying attention to the stage and Bono is like - Sorry to bug ya, can I have your attention please for a minute?

Lights still up, they started playing with the volume cranked and you should have seen the floor. It was like ants rushing around into each other