Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Australians

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts

Chill Out For the Australians

So when you guys are struggling with temperatures that make you sweat a little, here's some perspective

It's been an average of -30C all week here. The other night with the wind chill, it got down to -37. Some parts of the States are going through this too.

We have had two big snowfalls. One dumped 32 cms and one was 30 cms. It doesn't happen gradually over a few days, both occurred in less than four hours.

There's a law that says we have to keep our sidewalks clear within 24 hours of a snowfall. If you don't, you can get fined by the city.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My birdbath Snow-a-meter. It's convex and it reached that level from 6pm - 10pm Friday night

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View out my front room window right now. Arrows indicate about two feet of snow at the neighbors across the street.
    To move that much snow sometimes more than once a day, is the number one cause of heart attacks and back injuries in our province.

This is my shed in the backyard. I have a lock on it, but no need! Those doors won't open until April.

This is my outside door. It's kind of hard to see, but the entire thing frosts up because the heat inside the house vs the outside cold freezes the glass instantly.

The sun came out and things are warming up! If you look closely at my thermometer...it's fogged up from the cold

Guys I realize the heat is no fun. You have to make it from one air conditioned area to the next, or risk getting all sweaty and uncomfortable.
    I've played football and other sports in +33C summer weather here (Yes, we get all seasons...good and bad), and it was difficult.
    I can't imagine +40C sun and know that I would have troubles sleeping and probably have to shower twice a day.

But just try to remember we can have our indoor heating set quite high ($$) and start the biggest fire ever in your house when the temperature drops down below -25 for a few days, yet your house and your body never gets warm. And God help you if you get stuck outside and have to walk farther than a block. The cold kills vehicles. A percentage will not start in this weather or break down on the road after starting.

It's like being on the moon at times, because we have to do the same thing with the cold as you do with heat. Go from one island of moderate temps to another. Hypothermia and frostbite are no joke. I wore two pairs of gloves yesterday shoveling some snow and had to come in because the tips of my fingers were burning after 20 minutes out there.

love,
    hal

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Godfather (12-31-2017)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I've never even experienced -30, that's so brutal

Stay warm and drive safe dude.

I imagine being poor and without reliable heating, or homeless right now must be really dangerous.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-02-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 483 Posts
    I'm not bragging, complaining really. But I live in South FL. My AC doesn't go off at all year round.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yt Trash View Post
    I'm not bragging, complaining really. But I live in South FL. My AC doesn't go off at all year round.
    Here in the pacific northwest, it rarely gets colder than -1C/30F or hotter than 30c/86f, we get maybe 3" of snow a year at sea level, and I live fine without A/C I really can't complain about much except the 160 days of rain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-02-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    I spent a night in the Ice Hotel at Jukkasjärvi, Sweden two years ago. This is 200km above the Arctic circle. Temp when we arrived at the airport at Kiruna and travelled by dog sled along the Torne River was -37°. Slept in the hotel (built totally from ice cut from the river) on a bed that was also a large block of ice. Inside temps are -5° to -8°. Drank in the Ice Bar where temps were also well below freezing and served in ice glasses.

Also travelled further north via dog sled again to a wilderness lodge and was even colder.

I loved it and never really felt the cold or uncomfortable.

However, just as our heat can become unbearable if it continues for several days, so I imagine does your cold. I hate heat and prefer cold but all things considered, we could be slightly ahead of you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I have to ask. Did you fuck in the ice hotel?
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I have to ask. Did you fuck in the ice hotel?
    Not inside individual sleeping bags.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Monk For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-03-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I've never even experienced -30, that's so brutal

Stay warm and drive safe dude.

I imagine being poor and without reliable heating, or homeless right now must be really dangerous.
    Thanks GF, that was kinda my point One side of the thermometer leads to profuse sweating and dehydration, while the other is a little more serious.

For example you can survive in extreme heat for days, extreme cold however can kill you within minutes. There is no comparison in my mind.

It's currently zero here right now and I was just outside getting the recycle bin in a tshirt without a coat

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Here in the pacific northwest, it rarely gets colder than -1C/30F or hotter than 30c/86f, we get maybe 3" of snow a year at sea level, and I live fine without A/C I really can't complain about much except the 160 days of rain
    Yeah man we get a lot of sun considering the gamut of weather we have every year. From -37 to +34C is about a 75 degree swing.

Not sure if I could handle all of the overcast/rainy days you guys get out there. One thing you probably don't get...all of the salt and chemicals they put on our roads in winter that kill the vehicles.

I was just out in the garage cleaning up snow on the floor from my brother's rental vehicle and the floor is covered in this white layer of chemicals.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Thanks GF, that was kinda my point One side of the thermometer leads to profuse sweating and dehydration, while the other is a little more serious.
    Hold on there, Bud... We have an old saying here.. "You can always add another layer but never take but so many off."

I'm not so sure I'd choose being stuck in a desert over being stuck in a freezing environment.

The heat can be just as extreme without the proper protection.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Hold on there, Bud... We have an old saying here.. "You can always add another layer but never take but so many off."

I'm not so sure I'd choose being stuck in a desert over being stuck in a freezing environment.

The heat can be just as extreme without the proper protection.
    Hold up bro

You mean to say a person does better in the desert than opposed to -35 weather?

Had this 'discussion' before.

Have you ever been in -35 weather for any amount of time, even fully dressed in a parka? Any exposed skin gets frostbite within minutes, then you lose the finger or toe.

Let's take a mediate example. -30 vs +40. In +40 weather we're going to say the person can wear shorts and tshirt, same way the person on -30 can wear long pants, gloves and a jacket.The person in the heat can live for over four days, without water before dying of dehydration. But let's say the person can eat and drink normally in both extremes.

I was out doing my walks in -35 weather the other day. I had on two pairs of pants, two shirts, two pairs of socks, two fleeces (like hoodies), a winter jacket, two pairs of gloves and a toque. I actually started wearing a hat this year for the first time. So look at me all bundled up.

I had to come back into the house after 20 minutes (lots of snow) because my fingers, toes and nose started burning and tingling. A precursor to frostbite.

Now let's go one step further, I gotta take the bus, or walk somewhere in the same weather. No house to come back into. Another step...let's say I can't get anywhere indoors in the next 24 hours. Hypothermia will kill me.

Now imagine you're out during your hottest day. What is it in Virginia...90, 100 degrees F? If you had to walk let's say from the marina back to your house and it's 5 miles, you would make it. Now let's say we allow that you are dressed for the weather, meaning shorts and a tshirt. (same way I get all of those clothes above and winter jacket with gloves)

You're going to sweat and have an itchy asscrack, no doubt. But you can't seriously say or endorse the saying 'you can always warm up', when you've never spent even an hour in extreme cold. Your house barely reaches an indoor temp of over 70F in that weather because of how insulation works against extreme cold.

People who live here know this...you rarely are able to stay indoors for over a week in -35 weather. You have to go out and start cars, clear walks, get food, go to work....and that's assuming your vehicle always works and you're not away from it or an indoor place for over 10 minutes.

I've had the luxury of living in both sides of the thermometer. No joke when I said I've played football and worked in a warehouse in over 90F heat.

A person could never stand outside for three hours doing anything in -35.
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 01-02-2018 at 09:03 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Hold up bro

You mean to say a person does better in the desert than opposed to -35 weather?

Had this 'discussion' before.

Have you ever been in -35 weather for any amount of time, even fully dressed in a parka? Any exposed skin gets frostbite within minutes, then you lose the finger or toe.

Let's take a mediate example. -30 vs +40. In +40 weather we're going to say the person can wear shorts and tshirt, same way the person on -30 can wear long pants, gloves and a jacket.The person in the heat can live for over four days, without water before dying of dehydration. But let's say the person can eat and drink normally in both extremes.

I was out doing my walks in -35 weather the other day. I had on two pairs of pants, two shirts, two pairs of socks, two fleeces (like hoodies), a winter jacket, two pairs of gloves and a toque. I actually started wearing a hat this year for the first time. So look at me all bundled up.

I had to come back into the house after 20 minutes (lots of snow) because my fingers, toes and nose started burning and tingling. A precursor to frostbite.

Now let's go one step further, I gotta take the bus, or walk somewhere in the same weather. No house to come back into. Another step...let's say I can't get anywhere indoors in the next 24 hours. Hypothermia will kill me.

Now imagine you're out during your hottest day. What is it in Virginia...90, 100 degrees F? If you had to walk let's say from the marina back to your house and it's 5 miles, you would make it. Now let's say we allow that you are dressed for the weather, meaning shorts and a tshirt. (same way I get all of those clothes above and winter jacket with gloves)

You're going to sweat and have an itchy asscrack, no doubt. But you can't seriously say or endorse the saying 'you can always warm up', when you've never spent even an hour in extreme cold. Your house barely reaches an indoor temp of over 70F in that weather because of how insulation works against extreme cold.

People who live here know this...you rarely are able to stay indoors for over a week in -35 weather. You have to go out and start cars, clear walks, get food, go to work....and that's assuming your vehicle always works and you're not away from it or an indoor place for over 10 minutes.

I've had the luxury of living in both sides of the thermometer. No joke when I said I've played football and worked in a warehouse in over 90F heat.

A person could never stand outside for three hours doing anything in -35.
    Hold up there, Home slice..

I'm not comparing anything to Virginia.. I'm comparing extremes here. You cant live in the desert without protection either. (hats, water, etc). 125 degrees will KILL your ass as well. Now granted cold is going to be quicker without protection, but that doesn't downplay the seriousness of heat. A stroke is nothing to scoff at. At -35 you can put on another coat or some goggles.. At 125 you cant take off but so many clothes, without an A/C or a fan and some water your ass will die as well. Both are extremes .

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    I've been in -40° weather before, makes you feel alive

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

The Monk (01-03-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    As far as Virginia go's.. Our range are about at maximums @ -5 to +107F or -20 to 42C

Actually heres a little chart for us.

Last edited by Muddy; 01-02-2018 at 09:23 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-02-2018)