Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Jack In The Box CEO: We May Replace Workers With Robots Because Of $15 Minimum Wage Campaign

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Oh and by the way, whatever companies do with their tax cuts is up to them. Our government doesn't force companies to do right by their employees. Free choice is ideal. So this isn't our tax system or our government's fault, it's the company being shitheads as a response to the states governments being shitheads.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    It is the companies being shitheads. What do we do about that though, if on one hand we want a free market, and on the other want socially responsible companies?

Free choice/democracy/capitalism is the best system we know. It's worked great for my family, my dad's parents were born in tents and now all their kids are doing great.

The problem vaguely put, is that we seem to have entered some sort of late-stage capitalism where the hill to climb seems steeper than ever. Seattle has the highest number of billionaires & millionaires, but also the highest number of people who died without shelter in 2017. What is that? CEO salaries are up over 900% on average since the 70's while their employee's have only seen roughly 10%.

I know there's a counterargument, it's not the libertarian style of thinking, but when the free market means employees at Walmart are on welfare and costing the government billions, while the Walton Family is probably worth $150 billion, perhaps some sort of intervention is needed.

I don't think the answer is minimum wage, robots are going to take those jobs soon anyways. I don't have a solution I'm just pointing out an obvious problem

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think in the US the answer is minimum wage.
    15 dollars an hour seems excessive, but a proper living wage would be a good idea.
    Disband your tipping culture, where money is throw hand over fist in an expected manner for people doing what would otherwise in any other nation be their actual job.

Why should a business not charge the actual value of its product, rather than charge a lower amount and expect you to tip the staff to make up the difference.
    The old notion that it 'promotes good service' is a load of bollocks, you don't have the best service in the world, you have adequate and similar service to everywhere else, as you employ humans, like everywhere else, some are good some are shit.

Fix wages, charge appropriate amounts, get rid of tipping.

-edit
    as for the OP
    The low wage low skill jobs that people won't do and can be replaced by automated process, do so.
    Why are you employing a person in the first place if an automated process can do it for a cheaper amount of money?
    That what this CEO is suggesting, so why is that not their business model already?
    They don't employ staff out of the goodness of their hearts.

Newly Seeking Shelter
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I Like the idea of an automatic burger cooker. I am going to get to work designing one to sell to fast food restraints.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    The problem is that the people screaming for $15/hour as minimum wage at burger flipping jobs... they're flat out wrong. Those jobs were never meant to be permanent. They're never supposed to pay a living wage. They were supposed to be a beginning stepping stone to something better. They were supposed to give a worker initial experience and then that worker moves on to something better. I don't know when people started looking at these jobs as something that they should base their life off of, but they're wrong about it.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    The problem is that the people screaming for $15/hour as minimum wage at burger flipping jobs... they're flat out wrong. Those jobs were never meant to be permanent. They're never supposed to pay a living wage. They were supposed to be a beginning stepping stone to something better. They were supposed to give a worker initial experience and then that worker moves on to something better. I don't know when people started looking at these jobs as something that they should base their life off of, but they're wrong about it.
    They have not kept in step with inflation though.. The price of the burgers they sell go's up, but what they company pays out doesn't...

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    exactly