RBP (01-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You couldn't pay me to go to Mexico.
    Although I talk some shit, I think the murder rate is lower in the major tourist areas (I'm fond of Playa Del Carmen) than most major cities in the US. Tourism is their only business in the resort towns and they work hard to make you feel safe especially during the day.

Cancún’s murder rate is 20 people per 100,000 inhabitants and Los Cabos’ is 14 people per 100,000 inhabitants, the equivalent rates for some big U.S. cities is significantly higher: 52 people per 100,000 inhabitants in Baltimore, 50 in Detroit and 20 in Washington, D.C., according to New York University’s Brennan Center for Justice figures.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

As I said, I prefer to stay close to the gated resorts these days but I'd honestly still recommend it as a beautiful, fun, and very fairly priced vacation. You click a couple buttons on Expedia and you've got flights, travel, resort, food and booze all taken care of with one booking for as little as $600-800 each per week (I'd recommend going no less than 4.5 stars though). Great for a vacation where you just want to unwind.

The alternative if you want 'all inclusive' is a Carribean island where the travel will take you 3x as long, and cost probably twice as much or more.... plus they're all wiped our right now due to hurricanes...

Aside from some sketchy shit after hours being where I shouldn't have been, and the airports being chaotic, I've never been sick or felt unsafe, especially in the hotels. I felt more tension in Paris and Nice being there shortly after terrorist attacks if I'm being honest
    Last edited by Godfather; 01-13-2018 at 02:21 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Although I talk some shit, I think the murder rate is lower in the major tourist areas (I'm fond of Playa Del Carmen) than most major cities in the US. Tourism is their only business in the resort towns and they work hard to make you feel safe especially during the day.

As I said, I prefer to stay close to the gated resorts these days but I'd honestly still recommend it as a beautiful, fun, and very fairly priced vacation. You click a couple buttons on Expedia and you've got flights, travel, resort, food and booze all taken care of with one booking for as little as $600-800 each per week (I'd recommend going no less than 4.5 stars though). Great for a vacation where you just want to unwind.

The alternative if you want 'all inclusive' is a Carribean island where the travel will take you 3x as long, and cost probably twice as much or more.... plus they're all wiped our right now due to hurricanes...

Aside from some sketchy shit after hours being where I shouldn't have been, and the airports being chaotic, I've never been sick or felt unsafe, especially in the hotels. I felt more tension in Paris and Nice being there shortly after terrorist attacks if I'm being honest
    I just look at the map wondering what places would be like and shit happens there...Turkey, Indonesia, France, the Caribbean. Either terrorist activities or bad weather. I'm going to stop dreaming.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I just look at the map wondering what places would be like and shit happens there...Turkey, Indonesia, France, the Caribbean. Either terrorist activities or bad weather. I'm going to stop dreaming.
    It's scary, but I still think you're fall more likely to get smoked driving to the airport than by a terrorist attack in most countries

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I haven't been to Mexico in years. Pretty much with Lance, but an all-inclusive without leaving the resort is the only thing I'd consider. I usually like to explore the area, so that hasn't been as appealing of late.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (01-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Anyone been to Turkey? That is one country I've always heard and thought looks beautiful, but the recent upheaval there has me wondering if I'll ever actually go...

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Anyone been to Turkey? That is one country I've always heard and thought looks beautiful, but the recent upheaval there has me wondering if I'll ever actually go...
    Wouldn't consider it right now. Budapest and Prague are about as far as I'd venture. Red knows those areas well.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Sorry, but to me, being secluded at a gated resort isn't a vacation. Imagine going to Rome and being stuck at your 'resort compound' and not being able to go see the Coliseum or the Roman Senate ruins or any number of things there are to do there.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-13-2018), redred (01-13-2018)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Nothing wrong with Mexico, that's like saying you wouldn't go to Chicago

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sorry, but to me, being secluded at a gated resort isn't a vacation. Imagine going to Rome and being stuck at your 'resort compound' and not being able to go see the Coliseum or the Roman Senate ruins or any number of things there are to do there.

Ya but Mexico isn't Rome Going to Italy is traveling, if you sit by the pool you're an idiot... you go to Mexico on the other hand and you're not the Coliseum (trust me, I've seen the ruins), it's vacationing. Unwinding and relaxing while someone brings you boozy drinks all day (on the cheap). Totally different trips, but I do totally understanding sitting on a beach chair all day isn't everyone's type of trip and may bore you to death - regardless of if it's a safe country or not.

I like to mix it up, went to France last year and walked for miles a day, saw everything. This year I'll probably go to Mexico or the Caribbean and be a fat slob by the pool for a week
    Last edited by Godfather; 01-13-2018 at 10:42 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    good thing porky was just able to visit his family there before this happened

16. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (01-15-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Nothing wrong with Mexico, that's like saying you wouldn't go to Chicago
    Yes it is

"Ooooh look at the funny tourist tshirt you got in Chicago...made out of kevlar."

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I put it on my list for that reason. Started reading about surrounding areas and things to do...and damn, airport attack happens the next week.

Hawaii just made my list too . The missile attack warning was removed, but now it's on peoples minds....

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Ya but Mexico isn't Rome Going to Italy is traveling, if you sit by the pool you're an idiot... you go to Mexico on the other hand and you're not the Coliseum (trust me, I've seen the ruins), it's vacationing. Unwinding and relaxing while someone brings you boozy drinks all day (on the cheap). Totally different trips, but I do totally understanding sitting on a beach chair all day isn't everyone's type of trip and may bore you to death - regardless of if it's a safe country or not.

I like to mix it up, went to France last year and walked for miles a day, saw everything. This year I'll probably go to Mexico or the Caribbean and be a fat slob by the pool for a week
    Sitting around doing nothing all day and PAYING for the privilege of it is a waste to me and I would be bored as fuck. If I wanted to sit around doing nothing I could just stay home all day, every day for a week. And if I wanted to feel like I was in Mexico, I can drive down to certain parts of the city and you would be the only white guy around and have a hard time believing that you actually weren't in Mexico.

If it works for you and others, that's cool, but to travel 1,000's of miles and pay to do nothing, that to me is just a waste.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sitting around doing nothing all day and PAYING for the privilege of it is a waste to me and I would be bored as fuck. If I wanted to sit around doing nothing I could just stay home all day, every day for a week. And if I wanted to feel like I was in Mexico, I can drive down to certain parts of the city and you would be the only white guy around and have a hard time believing that you actually weren't in Mexico.

If it works for you and others, that's cool, but to travel 1,000's of miles and pay to do nothing, that to me is just a waste.
    Sad thing is fear and terrorism works. I was just reading about the Las Vegas shooting and now I won't ever see an open air concert there. Granted I went deep into the logistics of the story and the amount of killing and wounding that occurred within less than 10 minutes, but the incident has already changed how I look at something that used to have no fear associated with it.

What's next, a large bomb in The Maldives? Shooter at the Running of the Bulls? Car killer at Daytona on Spring Break?

Political and military unrest in a country now takes a backseat to the new fear of - What sick method of terrorism will be used here today?