Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: US slaps highest-level 'do not travel' warning on five Mexican states

  1. #16
    Hal killed Tormund! Pony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Borneo
    Posts
    12,814
    vCash
    21731
    Thanks
    3,219
    Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,837 Posts

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

    RBP (01-13-2018)

  3. #17
    Basement Dweller Godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    11,932
    vCash
    9520
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You couldn't pay me to go to Mexico.
    Although I talk some shit, I think the murder rate is lower in the major tourist areas (I'm fond of Playa Del Carmen) than most major cities in the US. Tourism is their only business in the resort towns and they work hard to make you feel safe especially during the day.

    Cancún’s murder rate is 20 people per 100,000 inhabitants and Los Cabos’ is 14 people per 100,000 inhabitants, the equivalent rates for some big U.S. cities is significantly higher: 52 people per 100,000 inhabitants in Baltimore, 50 in Detroit and 20 in Washington, D.C., according to New York University’s Brennan Center for Justice figures.

    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

    As I said, I prefer to stay close to the gated resorts these days but I'd honestly still recommend it as a beautiful, fun, and very fairly priced vacation. You click a couple buttons on Expedia and you've got flights, travel, resort, food and booze all taken care of with one booking for as little as $600-800 each per week (I'd recommend going no less than 4.5 stars though). Great for a vacation where you just want to unwind.

    The alternative if you want 'all inclusive' is a Carribean island where the travel will take you 3x as long, and cost probably twice as much or more.... plus they're all wiped our right now due to hurricanes...

    Aside from some sketchy shit after hours being where I shouldn't have been, and the airports being chaotic, I've never been sick or felt unsafe, especially in the hotels. I felt more tension in Paris and Nice being there shortly after terrorist attacks if I'm being honest
    Last edited by Godfather; 01-13-2018 at 01:21 AM.

  4. #18
    transracial Hal-9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    On the Discovery
    Posts
    82,097
    vCash
    0
    Thanks
    3,042
    Thanked 8,160 Times in 5,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Although I talk some shit, I think the murder rate is lower in the major tourist areas (I'm fond of Playa Del Carmen) than most major cities in the US. Tourism is their only business in the resort towns and they work hard to make you feel safe especially during the day.




    As I said, I prefer to stay close to the gated resorts these days but I'd honestly still recommend it as a beautiful, fun, and very fairly priced vacation. You click a couple buttons on Expedia and you've got flights, travel, resort, food and booze all taken care of with one booking for as little as $600-800 each per week (I'd recommend going no less than 4.5 stars though). Great for a vacation where you just want to unwind.

    The alternative if you want 'all inclusive' is a Carribean island where the travel will take you 3x as long, and cost probably twice as much or more.... plus they're all wiped our right now due to hurricanes...

    Aside from some sketchy shit after hours being where I shouldn't have been, and the airports being chaotic, I've never been sick or felt unsafe, especially in the hotels. I felt more tension in Paris and Nice being there shortly after terrorist attacks if I'm being honest
    I just look at the map wondering what places would be like and shit happens there...Turkey, Indonesia, France, the Caribbean. Either terrorist activities or bad weather. I'm going to stop dreaming.

  5. #19
    Basement Dweller Godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    11,932
    vCash
    9520
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I just look at the map wondering what places would be like and shit happens there...Turkey, Indonesia, France, the Caribbean. Either terrorist activities or bad weather. I'm going to stop dreaming.
    It's scary, but I still think you're fall more likely to get smoked driving to the airport than by a terrorist attack in most countries

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

    RBP (01-13-2018)

  7. #20
    OMWTFYB RBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    48,151
    vCash
    2000
    Thanks
    41,444
    Thanked 15,170 Times in 8,705 Posts
    I haven't been to Mexico in years. Pretty much with Lance, but an all-inclusive without leaving the resort is the only thing I'd consider. I usually like to explore the area, so that hasn't been as appealing of late.
    The only "B" word a woman should be called is beautiful.
    Bitches LOVE being called beautiful.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

    Godfather (01-13-2018)

  9. #21
    Basement Dweller Godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    11,932
    vCash
    9520
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Anyone been to Turkey? That is one country I've always heard and thought looks beautiful, but the recent upheaval there has me wondering if I'll ever actually go...

  10. #22
    OMWTFYB RBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    48,151
    vCash
    2000
    Thanks
    41,444
    Thanked 15,170 Times in 8,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Anyone been to Turkey? That is one country I've always heard and thought looks beautiful, but the recent upheaval there has me wondering if I'll ever actually go...
    Wouldn't consider it right now. Budapest and Prague are about as far as I'd venture. Red knows those areas well.
    The only "B" word a woman should be called is beautiful.
    Bitches LOVE being called beautiful.

  11. #23
    Not from a shithole country Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    5280' Above Sea Level
    Posts
    175,800
    vCash
    5040
    Thanks
    8,904
    Thanked 31,894 Times in 19,817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Although I talk some shit, I think the murder rate is lower in the major tourist areas (I'm fond of Playa Del Carmen) than most major cities in the US. Tourism is their only business in the resort towns and they work hard to make you feel safe especially during the day.




    As I said, I prefer to stay close to the gated resorts these days but I'd honestly still recommend it as a beautiful, fun, and very fairly priced vacation. You click a couple buttons on Expedia and you've got flights, travel, resort, food and booze all taken care of with one booking for as little as $600-800 each per week (I'd recommend going no less than 4.5 stars though). Great for a vacation where you just want to unwind.

    The alternative if you want 'all inclusive' is a Carribean island where the travel will take you 3x as long, and cost probably twice as much or more.... plus they're all wiped our right now due to hurricanes...

    Aside from some sketchy shit after hours being where I shouldn't have been, and the airports being chaotic, I've never been sick or felt unsafe, especially in the hotels. I felt more tension in Paris and Nice being there shortly after terrorist attacks if I'm being honest
    Sorry, but to me, being secluded at a gated resort isn't a vacation. Imagine going to Rome and being stuck at your 'resort compound' and not being able to go see the Coliseum or the Roman Senate ruins or any number of things there are to do there.


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

    RBP (01-13-2018), redred (01-13-2018)

  13. #24
    #ItWasMe PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    58,336
    vCash
    4166
    Thanks
    25,960
    Thanked 16,933 Times in 9,814 Posts
    Nothing wrong with Mexico, that's like saying you wouldn't go to Chicago






  14. #25
    Basement Dweller Godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    11,932
    vCash
    9520
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Sorry, but to me, being secluded at a gated resort isn't a vacation. Imagine going to Rome and being stuck at your 'resort compound' and not being able to go see the Coliseum or the Roman Senate ruins or any number of things there are to do there.

    Ya but Mexico isn't Rome Going to Italy is traveling, if you sit by the pool you're an idiot... you go to Mexico on the other hand and you're not the Coliseum (trust me, I've seen the ruins), it's vacationing. Unwinding and relaxing while someone brings you boozy drinks all day (on the cheap). Totally different trips, but I do totally understanding sitting on a beach chair all day isn't everyone's type of trip and may bore you to death - regardless of if it's a safe country or not.

    I like to mix it up, went to France last year and walked for miles a day, saw everything. This year I'll probably go to Mexico or the Caribbean and be a fat slob by the pool for a week
    Last edited by Godfather; 01-13-2018 at 09:42 PM.

  15. #26
    mr. michelle jenneke deebakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46,791
    vCash
    1000
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15,873 Times in 9,380 Posts
    good thing porky was just able to visit his family there before this happened

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

    PorkChopSandwiches (01-15-2018)

  17. #27
    transracial Hal-9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    On the Discovery
    Posts
    82,097
    vCash
    0
    Thanks
    3,042
    Thanked 8,160 Times in 5,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Nothing wrong with Mexico, that's like saying you wouldn't go to Chicago
    Yes it is

    "Ooooh look at the funny tourist tshirt you got in Chicago...made out of kevlar."

  18. #28
    transracial Hal-9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    On the Discovery
    Posts
    82,097
    vCash
    0
    Thanks
    3,042
    Thanked 8,160 Times in 5,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Anyone been to Turkey? That is one country I've always heard and thought looks beautiful, but the recent upheaval there has me wondering if I'll ever actually go...
    I put it on my list for that reason. Started reading about surrounding areas and things to do...and damn, airport attack happens the next week.

    Hawaii just made my list too . The missile attack warning was removed, but now it's on peoples minds....

  19. #29
    Not from a shithole country Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    5280' Above Sea Level
    Posts
    175,800
    vCash
    5040
    Thanks
    8,904
    Thanked 31,894 Times in 19,817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya but Mexico isn't Rome Going to Italy is traveling, if you sit by the pool you're an idiot... you go to Mexico on the other hand and you're not the Coliseum (trust me, I've seen the ruins), it's vacationing. Unwinding and relaxing while someone brings you boozy drinks all day (on the cheap). Totally different trips, but I do totally understanding sitting on a beach chair all day isn't everyone's type of trip and may bore you to death - regardless of if it's a safe country or not.

    I like to mix it up, went to France last year and walked for miles a day, saw everything. This year I'll probably go to Mexico or the Caribbean and be a fat slob by the pool for a week
    Sitting around doing nothing all day and PAYING for the privilege of it is a waste to me and I would be bored as fuck. If I wanted to sit around doing nothing I could just stay home all day, every day for a week. And if I wanted to feel like I was in Mexico, I can drive down to certain parts of the city and you would be the only white guy around and have a hard time believing that you actually weren't in Mexico.

    If it works for you and others, that's cool, but to travel 1,000's of miles and pay to do nothing, that to me is just a waste.

  20. #30
    transracial Hal-9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    On the Discovery
    Posts
    82,097
    vCash
    0
    Thanks
    3,042
    Thanked 8,160 Times in 5,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Sitting around doing nothing all day and PAYING for the privilege of it is a waste to me and I would be bored as fuck. If I wanted to sit around doing nothing I could just stay home all day, every day for a week. And if I wanted to feel like I was in Mexico, I can drive down to certain parts of the city and you would be the only white guy around and have a hard time believing that you actually weren't in Mexico.

    If it works for you and others, that's cool, but to travel 1,000's of miles and pay to do nothing, that to me is just a waste.
    Sad thing is fear and terrorism works. I was just reading about the Las Vegas shooting and now I won't ever see an open air concert there. Granted I went deep into the logistics of the story and the amount of killing and wounding that occurred within less than 10 minutes, but the incident has already changed how I look at something that used to have no fear associated with it.

    What's next, a large bomb in The Maldives? Shooter at the Running of the Bulls? Car killer at Daytona on Spring Break?

    Political and military unrest in a country now takes a backseat to the new fear of - What sick method of terrorism will be used here today?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •