Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trump rips a father from his family because he can. Shame on America for letting him.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Boo Hoo Trump rips a father from his family because he can. Shame on America for letting him.

Rochelle Riley, USA TODAY

The word isn’t deported. The word is exiled. No, the word is sentenced.

Jorge Garcia came to America as a child. He has lived in America for three decades, has worked and paid taxes and spent more than $125,000 trying to become a citizen like his wife and children. But America, the land of the free and home of the brave, the country that has welcomed immigrants since its inception, told him that he must go to Mexico — the land of his birth, but not the land of his life.

He stood at Detroit Metro Airport on the holiday that honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., watched over by Immigration and Customs Enforcement guards and angry supporters, and said goodbye as his 15-year-old daughter sobbed on his shoulder and his wife cried out his name. His son had few words. Jorge Garcia wasn't going home. He was being sentenced to prison in a foreign country away from family and friends. I couldn’t read Niraj Warikoo’s story about him without shedding tears.

Who could?

We know who could: the unfeeling elected officials who are in haste to make America their America: a place where Norwegians are welcome but Haitians aren’t, a place that tears children from their parents’ arms and parents from their crying children.

Jorge Garcia had never even had a traffic ticket. But Donald Trump has convinced Americans — you know, the ones who think they’re perfect, who think their children are perfect and whose idea of perfection doesn’t include diversity — that foreigners are bad for our country. So people like Jorge Garcia become victims.

Trump, who said last week that America should want immigrants from places like Norway rather than Haiti, has made his bigotry against immigrants known. And no case makes the heartbreaking truth clearer than this one.

Garcia, a 39-year-old landscaper who hasn’t lived in Mexico since he was 10, was brought to this country by an undocumented relative. He was deported simply because he was a target of bigoted policies hastily drawn. Now, his family will suffer while some people will cheer.

Garcia may be barred from entering the U.S. for at least 10 years, his wife told the Free Press.

That is the same as a prison sentence. And Jorge Garcia was Trumped to make a point.

Shame on us.

Shame on an America that would allow what the Republican Party and its leader are doing to the very fabric of our country.

How was Garcia able to remain in America so long? He had faced numerous court orders of removal since 2009, but President Barack Obama’s administration granted stays. The Obama administration knew the difference between a hardworking landscaper and a rapist or thug, a label Trump draped on most undocumented immigrants.

The Trump administration’s immigration crackdown acknowledges no such difference, treating hardworking family men like criminals. Oh, and who’s stepping in to take the landscaping job Garcia had, the one that some will claim belongs to someone Trump prefers? Perhaps a Norwegian who isn’t a professor or writer? I want to see the line for that job.

There have been many victims of the GOP’s bigoted push to make America look and be more like most of them: white, male, with money:

Poor people without health care.

Immigrants from countries that aren’t Norway.

Women.

Shame on us for allowing it to continue.

On the day America celebrated King, whose fight for people of all colors and economic levels got him killed, Trump kicked a family man out of his country to prove a point. And the GOP stood by and watched, or, in some cases, applauded.

They took a man from his family, his children, his American life, so they could say they did.

Diego Bonesatti, legal services director for Michigan United, one of the many agencies that is fighting to bring Garcia back home, said it best: "This is his home. This is the place he knows.”

Jorge Garcia just received a prison sentence, plain and simple, from people who should be ashamed, but who know no shame, from some who may go to prison themselves if there is any justice left in America by the time Trump tears it to shreds.

And as the fight to bring Jorge Garcia back home continues, America should weep.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-18-2018), The Monk (01-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

First, he's an illegal alien....oops, sorry, an undocumented immigrant. That should end the conversation right there. But let's go over the other things brought up by the moron author of the story. She throws out a figure of $125K he's spent trying to become a citizen without any citaion or proof? I call bullshit. He's been here 30 years, he's had more than enough time to take care of his immigration status if he really wanted to, but no, I'm guessing he did nothing because for the last 30 years or more, the United States hasn't done one of the few things the federal government is responsible for, and that's controlling the borders of this country. And for the 8 years prior to the current administration, the federal government was EXTREMELY pro-illegals and did nothing to stop them from streaming into this country and also kept allowing those who were here to stay with impunity.

And then of course she goes on to play the race card. And the patriarchy card. And whatever other card she can get her hands on. I'm sorry his family is being torn apart by the evil US government, but he knew he was here illegally, he did nothing to change that (if he had really spent $125K to try and fix his immigration status, he would be a naturalized citizen by now) so it's time to go.

/rant

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Detroit free press:

In a statement Tuesday night, Detroit ICE spokesman Khaalid Walls said: "As ICE Deputy Director Thomas Homan has made clear, ICE does not exempt classes or categories of removable aliens from potential enforcement. All of those in violation of the immigration laws may be subject to immigration arrest, detention and, if found removable by final order, removal from the United States."

Walls said that Garcia was "an unlawfully present citizen of Mexico" who "was ordered removed by an immigration judge in June 2006."

ICE said in its statement that Garcia "appealed his removal in 2008 to the Board of Immigration Appeals, where it was remanded back to the lower court, which subsequently allowed him to voluntarily depart. After he failed to depart within the timeline of the agreement, he became subject to a final order of removal in 2009.

"ICE exercised prosecutorial discretion on multiple prior occasions in Mr. Garcia-Martinez's case in 2011, 2012 and 2014. In a further exercise of discretion during the this period, Mr. Garcia-Martinez was never detained."

"On Jan. 15, Mr. Martinez was removed pursuant to the judge's removal order."
    I haven't found anything that details the reason he was not able to gain legal status.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    He couldn't get legal status because POTUS and the whole white country are a bunch of racist bastards

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (01-18-2018), RBP (01-18-2018), The Monk (01-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have to stop looking because I am getting mad. a gazillion bullshit activist stories like the OP, but can't find a single examination of the actual facts. The only thing I have found is the wife saying an immigration lawyer filed a form she shouldn't have filed. Whatever the fuck that means. Do your job, press!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-18-2018), Muddy (01-18-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (01-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    The press are no longer journalists.. They are merely entertainment tabloid writers doing nothing more than trying to drum up interest to sell copies.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-18-2018), redred (01-18-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (01-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They should have moved to California, the whole state is a sanctuary for illegals.

Look, don't get me wrong, I understand he was just a kid when he was brought here and now he has a family and everything, but the law is the law. If we make an exception for him, then someone with similar circumstances says, "hey, you did it for him, you have to do it for me too." And it goes on an on down the line. Why have immigration laws if we aren't going to enforce them? At that point we might as well just do away with the borders altogether. I feel bad for his kids, but you know what? There's another option. Take your family with you to Mexico. They write these stories like the families are being 'ripped apart' with no chance of them ever seeing each other again. There is absolutely nothing keeping his family here and stopping them from going to Mexico with him. Then, if they want to come back to the United States, do it the right way this time and have her husband apply for a green card. You know, like every single legal immigrant in this country had to do.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Devil's advocate.

I am a little torn on the fact that this whole mess exists because we didn't do our job in the first place. It's like getting fired for lying on your resume after you've been with the company for 30 years.

If there's anything I am more open to, it's saying "we didn't do our job" and granting amnesty for over 20 years, with employment and no criminal history...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

The Monk (01-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Devil's advocate.

I am a little torn on the fact that this whole mess exists because we didn't do our job in the first place. It's like getting fired for lying on your resume after you've been with the company for 30 years.

If there's anything I am more open to, it's saying "we didn't do our job" and granting amnesty for over 20 years, with employment and no criminal history...
    And therein lies a problem, amnesty. Every time it has happened, starting with Reagan back in the 80's, it causes a flood of illegals flowing into this country hoping that if they can get across and fly under the radar until the next round of amnesty happens.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/w...ong-way-to-go/

Written in 2001, still relevant today.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    If a parent sneaks their kid into Disney and gets caught. Is it Disney's problem? Does the kid get to stay at Disney?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (01-18-2018), Griffin (01-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Devil's advocate.

He's probably one of the guys you'd want to keep. Oh well, that's too bad.

( on a side note, isn't he married to an american )

Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    And therein lies a problem, amnesty. Every time it has happened, starting with Reagan back in the 80's, it causes a flood of illegals flowing into this country hoping that if they can get across and fly under the radar until the next round of amnesty happens.
    We treat our boat people (illegals) like shit, deport them to off-shore detention camps under appalling conditions. The moment we change this policy we get waves of new boats.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    If a parent sneaks their kid into Disney and gets caught. Is it Disney's problem? Does the kid get to stay at Disney?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Muddy (01-18-2018)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I read the feds may start arresting CA politicians that run sanctuary cities

Apparently, Homan wants to charge elected officials who disagree with him on the matter of immigration enforcement with crimes. He has argued that, by supporting sanctuary laws, these leaders have committed a crime because they are “knowingly shield[ing] and harbor[ing] an illegal alien.” Homan added: “we’ve got to start charging some of these politicians with crimes.”
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0ee59d41c0d35

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

KevinD (01-20-2018), RBP (01-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I still issue the same challenge to people screaming about this or similar arguments. Name any country, just one, which you can enter illegally and they say "oh, you're a clever one! Stay! Have some citizenship!" To my knowledge, it doesn't exist.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (01-18-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (01-18-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (01-19-2018)