Thread: Natalie Portman Describes How She Was "Sexually Terrorised" As A Child Star

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Rape Culture Natalie Portman Describes How She Was "Sexually Terrorised" As A Child Star

By Charlotte Court - Contact Music

As the discussion of sexual harassment in Hollywood continues - and campaigns including #MeToo and TimesUp push forward for everyday women - more and more female actresses are joining the conversation with their stories. Now Natalie Portman has spoken up about how she was sexually terrorised as a child after the shooting of her first feature film.

The Black Swan star took to the stage at Saturday’s Women’s March (20 Jan) in Los Angeles with fellow actresses Eva Longoria and Constance Wu and spoke about her experiences growing up as a child star.

She told the crowd: "I turned 12 on the set of my first film Leon: The Professional, on which I play a young girl who befriends a hitman and hopes to avenge the murder of her family.

"The character was spontaneously developing and discovering her womanhood, her voice and her desire. At that moment of my life, I too was discovering.

"I was so excited at 13 when the film was released that my work and my art had a human response and I excitedly opened my first fan mail to read a rape fantasy that a man had written me.

"A countdown was started on my local radio show to my 18th birthday - euphemistically the date that I would be legal to sleep with.

"Movie reviewers talked about my budding breasts in reviews. I understood very quickly, even as a 13-year-old, that if I were to express myself sexually I would feel unsafe and that men would feel entitled to discuss and objectify my body to my great discomfort."

The Oscar-winner explained how she changed the way she presented herself in public, rejecting roles which could sexualise her and building a reputation as "prudish, conservative, nerdy, serious".

She added: "The response to my expression, from small comments about my body to more threatening deliberate statements, served to control my behaviour through an environment of sexual terrorism."

The mum-of-two was one of many famous faces who took to the stage to share her views including Scarlett Johansson and Mila Kunis.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I bet she would look good with those lips wrapped around a cock.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I respect this woman. She's intelligent and can speak five languages fluently.

As usual, I don't condone anyone sexualizing underage people. There's a lot to unpack however in one of her statements.

"I understood very quickly, even as a 13-year-old, that if I were to express myself sexually I would feel unsafe and that men would feel entitled to discuss and objectify my body to my great discomfort."

This is the other half of the equation that never gets addressed. The person who cries foul is aware their behavior may be inciting the problem.

Here Portman hasn't even reached 16, yet she knows if she acts a certain way...things may happen. So my advice is - Don't act a certain way.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Im just talking shit, Hal.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Im just talking shit, Hal.
    Post was directed at her, not you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I know.. just sayin'

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Natalie's statement reminds me of a quote Britney Spears made when she was becoming a huge phenomenon.

You may recall how she dressed for her videos...

Britney says - 'I get creeped out by middle aged men ogling my body and treating me like an object. I'm a music artist.'

Portman's statement is so typical of stories we hear today. Women are aware of their sexuality and use it for gain, then cry foul when attention is given to the act.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Noilly Pratt (01-23-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Am I missing something? Is she saying that creepy fan letters and entertainment critics making comments is "sexually terrorizing" a child? No, it's not.

And where are her handlers and parents in this? She was given unfiltered fan letters? Why would anyone think that was a good idea?

This has nothing to do with the Hollywood culture of abuse they claim is/was pervasive.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (01-24-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (01-24-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Natalie's statement reminds me of a quote Britney Spears made when she was becoming a huge phenomenon.

You may recall how she dressed for her videos...

Britney says - 'I get creeped out by middle aged men ogling my body and treating me like an object. I'm a music artist.'

Portman's statement is so typical of stories we hear today. Women are aware of their sexuality and use it for gain, then cry foul when attention is given to the act.
    Yeah, but Britney enjoys rape. Big difference.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Am I missing something? Is she saying that creepy fan letters and entertainment critics making comments is "sexually terrorizing" a child? No, it's not.

And where are her handlers and parents in this? She was given unfiltered fan letters? Why would anyone think that was a good idea?

This has nothing to do with the Hollywood culture of abuse they claim is/was pervasive.
    Speaking of parents and agents, a large part of the film Leon is about how the lead develops feelings for a 13 year old, because he's an assassin with developmental problems emotionally.

The sexualization of Portman's character was baked into the script from the outset.

In the comment I brought up, she's admitting to understanding the cause and effect rule of her actions sexually on fans...at 13. No doubt her parents and handlers understood it too.

I hate it when actresses frame the situation as if they can't leave it or say no. If one film maker demands they sexualize a 13 year old for the artistic merit of the movie (and I'd argue that in this case, it's fitting for the movie Leon), then remove your child from the set citing artistic differences or whatever and try to get work in other movies.

If the child is blackballed for not appearing in a project at 13 years old because the director and writer wanted her to appear 'sexual', that press and reputation will likely harm the director and writer more that the actor.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (01-24-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (01-24-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Yeah, but Britney enjoys rape. Big difference.
    Wow, I don't even think I'D say that.

I am sure you mean you expect she enjoys a good rape fantasy or otherwise aggressive sex now and again.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.