Thread: Joaquin Phoenix in Talks to Play the Joker in Todd Phillips’ Standalone Movie

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Rumor Joaquin Phoenix in Talks to Play the Joker in Todd Phillips’ Standalone Movie

By Justin Kroll - Variety

Joaquin Phoenix is in talks to play the Clown Prince of Crime in Warner Bros. and Todd Phillips’ untitled Joker origin movie.

While studio negotiations are not yet underway, Phillips has made it clear that Phoenix is the top choice to star and sources now tell Variety that, after thinking it over, Phoenix has agreed to the role. WB had no comment.

Phillips is on board to co-write and direct the movie. Phillips had met with Phoenix before the new year and was just waiting for the studio’s go-ahead, sources say.

Insiders stress that Jared Leto, who starred in “Suicide Squad” as the Joker is still on board as the character in the DC universe and that this Phoenix has no effect on what happens with Leto’s character in future DC films.

The movie would fall under a yet-to-be-announced new banner of DC Comics, which would give the studio the opportunity to expand the canon of the iconic comic-book characters with unique story angles that aren’t included in its current cinematic universe. Jared Leto most recently played the Joker in “Suicide Squad” and is likely to reprise that role in “Suicide Squad 2,” but will not be featured in this film. Rumors circulated that Leonardo DiCaprio was the first person approached to star in Phillips’ standalone film, though that didn’t pan out.

Scott Silver will join Phillips as a co-writer on the film, which will delve into what it took for the Joker to become a mastermind criminal. Sources say the story will take place in the ’80s and have more of the look of a gritty crime drama than comic-book movie.

Phoenix has been considered for another villainous DC role in the past: Lex Luthor in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” but passed on that role, which ultimately went to Jesse Eisenberg. He was also in talks for Disney-Marvel’s “Doctor Strange,” but passed on that as well. He was most recently seen in the Gus Van Sant film “He Won’t Get Far on Foot.”

He is repped by WME.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-09-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    This maniac may have what it takes to pull it off..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-10-2018)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'd like to see Leto's abusive psychopath let loose on an entire film.

We've had gangster, anarchist, psychopath. Another would be interesting, but it would have to be exceptionally well written.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    I'd like to see Leto's abusive psychopath let loose on an entire film.

We've had gangster, anarchist, psychopath. Another would be interesting, but it would have to be exceptionally well written.
    Reports say his Suicide Squad costars thought he was a jerk. He did the stay in character thing and apparently played some pretty harsh practical jokes on the cast and crew.

I think Leto is a great actor, but was wasted due to extreme editing for Suicide Squad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Hikari Kisugi (02-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I really didn't think much of Leto's Joker, but that could be because of the majority of his performance being left on the cutting room floor. But then again, they did make a whole mess of bad decisions with that movie... which is par for the course where the DCCU is concerned. I just didn't think much of that film at all.

After the Justice League, I've had enough. I'm done with the DCCU.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.