Thread: P.F. Changs 2018 Olympics Thread

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,082 Times in 59,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Yeah the Russian hockey program was so different than our system. They had (and still do) people that played on the national team as sort of a life time job slot, and they drew from that pool throughout the 70's on. We started populating our teams with pros in answer to their wonky, if not dishonest sporting system.

Not to go over old ground...but how the hell does Russia get to be in the Olympics after being banned from the games? I would drug test every one of those hockey players right down to cold medicines if I was the IOC.
    I think the basic gist of it is, that the Russians appealed the ban but the IOC upheld the ban against Russia participating at the Olympics. But, they relented and let a certain group of athletes, ones that hadn't tested positive at the time I guess, to compete at the Olympics under the stipulation that they couldn't compete as Russians for Russia, that where the OAR (Olympic Athletes from Russia) came from. So while there were Russians there, technically they were not competing AS Russians.

Still BS if you ask me, especially since one of their Curlers tested positive for doping.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I think the basic gist of it is, that the Russians appealed the ban but the IOC upheld the ban against Russia participating at the Olympics. But, they relented and let a certain group of athletes, ones that hadn't tested positive at the time I guess, to compete at the Olympics under the stipulation that they couldn't compete as Russians for Russia, that where the OAR (Olympic Athletes from Russia) came from. So while there were Russians there, technically they were not competing AS Russians.

Still BS if you ask me, especially since one of their Curlers tested positive for doping.
    Yeah it is BS. For years athletes have hidden behind flags to compete and I think they should have to live in the country for a least one year as a citizen