Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teen sentenced to 4 years for planning mass shooting

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts

Terrorism Teen sentenced to 4 years for planning mass shooting

Teen sentenced to 4 years for planning mass shooting at Hilliard-Davidson HS

PUBLISHED: 02/08/18 12:46 PM ESTUPDATED: 02/19/18 11:25 PM EST
    COLUMBUS, Ohio – Police say John Staley III had an advanced, detailed plot for a mass school shooting at Hilliard-Davidson High School.

Last month he was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder, and Thursday, he learned his punishment.

John Staley III has the face of a child. But prosecutors say he has the mind of a killer.

"This was a plot for a mass school shooting," said prosecutor Joe Gibson.

Police say Staley's school, Hilliard-Davidson, was the target.

And his plans were advanced, including diagrams of the building, online research, and efforts to recruit other students to help carry it out.

"He researched firearms," said Gibson. "When it became difficult to get firearms, he researched parts of firearms so that he could assemble them at the school."

They say records from his computer also showed racist, Nazi and neo-Nazi propaganda.

Hilliard Police arrested Staley in October 2016, based on a tip from another student.

He was originally charged in Juvenile Court. Though psychologists said that's where his case belonged, a judge ordered him prosecuted as an adult.

A teacher from the juvenile detention center said the charges don't match the teen she's come to know.

"What we see now is a different child," said Tonja Blackmon. "We see a great child, a gifted child, a creative child. We see that. And if you believe in rehabilitation, which I believe in, then this would be a child that has been rehabilitated."

She said multiple teachers were moved to write unsolicited letters on Staley's behalf. Staley's attorney urged the judge to consider probation.

"You want to make this kid a racist? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid a criminal? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid dangerous? Send him to prison," said Stephen Palmer.

His distraught parents seated behind him, Staley then spoke for himself.

"I am gravely sorry for my actions," he said. "I'm sorry to my friends, my family, and the people I affected with those actions. I never meant for this to go this far. I'm sorry I have to be in front of you today, Your Honor, please have mercy on me sir."

"It's not enough to say later that it was a joke," responded Judge David Cain. "I do think from everything I've read that there was very little chance, very little chance, that it would have actually occurred. But even a very slight chance is way too much."

Staley could have gotten between three and 11 years in prison.

Judge Cain said based on what he'd read about his attitude and intellect, his ruling was on the low end of that.

He sentenced Staley to four years in prison, with five years' probation after that.

Staley's family declined to comment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    got off light

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,103 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Yup, should have gotten 10 years minimum

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Agreed.. Throw the book at these little fucks.. It's the only thing thats going to make an impact. Kind of like stealing in the middle East gets your fucking hand cut off.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I disagree with you guys. Should have stayed in Juvi, with intense therapy and ongoing evaluations.

"You want to make this kid a racist? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid a criminal? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid dangerous? Send him to prison,"
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Theres some truth to what you are saying Rainbow.. I have seen the effects of prison on a person, most definitely do come out worse.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I disagree with you guys. Should have stayed in Juvi, with intense therapy and ongoing evaluations.
    Not everyone can be or wants to be rehabilitated. And, not everyone that goes into prison becomes a racist or a hardened criminal.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Not everyone can be or wants to be rehabilitated. And, not everyone that goes into prison becomes a racist or a hardened criminal.
    I get that. The psychologists recommended Juvi and stated he has already made significant progress. It seems his chances are better in a system set up to help him rather than an adult prison structured for punishment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I get that. The psychologists recommended Juvi and stated he has already made significant progress. It seems his chances are better in a system set up to help him rather than an adult prison structured for punishment.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I think something like this, especially in the wake of the two school shootings this year (and all the copycat threats popping up) that the punishment needs to be strong, no more fucking around.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-20-2018), RBP (02-20-2018)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

Agreed, prison breeds criminals

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Agreed, prison breeds criminals
    Not only that but he gets out at 21 with a felony for criminal conspiracy to commit murder. What does he do for the rest of his life?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Not only that but he gets out at 21 with a felony for criminal conspiracy to commit murder. What does he do for the rest of his life?
    He should have thought about that before planning on trying to murder a bunch of people.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (02-20-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, okay, so what does he do?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, okay, so what does he do?
    Would it be rude if I said 'off himself'?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sorry, here's a less flippant answer. I'm sorry, but I have neither sympathy nor compassion for these people. Maybe I did at one point, but not anymore. This shit is not funny and it needs to be dealt with. If I had my way, people like this would get 20 to life, with the 20 years being a mandatory minimum. There is no excuse in the entire world for making threats or plans like this, none. And for people that actually do go thru it like that fucktard in Florida? That would be a mandatory death sentence. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

And while we're at it, these stories shouldn't even be in the news and sensationalized like they are right now. That's what these psychopaths want. They think it immortalizes them and they see themselves in the news on a daily basis. The press should be forbidden from using names or photos of the accused and deny them this "glory" that they think they are getting.