Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You Realize Arming Teachers Is Going To Lead To Black Students Getting Murdered By Their Teacher, Right?

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Not Racist You Realize Arming Teachers Is Going To Lead To Black Students Getting Murdered By Their Teacher, Right?

By Elie Mystal - Above the Law

There are many reasons to be against President Wayne LaPierre Donald Trump’s idea to arm teachers in public schools. It’s dangerous. It’s expensive. It changes the core-competency of “teaching.” And, you know, it’s not actually going to deter mass shooters.

But there’s one more problem that I’m sure most white people haven’t thought about yet: arming American teachers will directly result in students of color being shot to death at school.

I know that because the only other group of public employees that is armed at the behest of the state shoots unarmed people of color on the reg. The cops actually receive extensive training on how to use their firearms, how to asses threats, and how to deescalate situations, and yet they still murder innocent civilians all the time.

Giving a teacher a gun is ASKING them to be afraid. It makes poor judgment a homicidal offense. And that danger will be borne by black and brown students. The students who make teachers “afraid” just by their very existence.

We’ll be telling teachers to shoot armed terrorists breaching the school. What’s really going to happen is an unarmed black truant loitering in a hallway he’s not supposed to be in who gets shot eight times by the jumpy choir director.

Oh, she’ll feel just awful about her mistake. But a jury of her peers will never convict her of a crime.

One can assume that the legal system will treat armed teachers just like cops. Civilians are not allowed to discharge their weapons in public places except in the most extreme of circumstances, but cops are allowed to pop a cap in anything that frightens them. We’ve learned that cops are cowards who are easily spooked. The bar for a frightened teacher will be even lower. Having told the community that armed teachers are necessary to protect children, no jury is going to convict a teacher just because he or she mistakenly perceived a threat. And white America will rally around the poor teacher who emptied his clip into a “loud,” “aggressive” student of color who “has a history” of smoking cigarettes behind the school and getting into fights.

I can see the media reports now: “D’LaQuan Freedman was shot dead after threatening local teacher Miss Mary Priss with projectile chicken nuggets. Priss believed Freedman had a gun in his lunchbox, which in fact only contained a Pokemon ball believed stolen from a white child. Though just eight, Freedman’s permanent record revealed that the large, athletic boy received detention three whole times since his parents divorced, late last year.”

America is entirely too racist to arm teachers. Our legal system is INCAPABLE of holding public employees to account for murdering minorities. Black and brown students should not have to die because disgruntled white boys are shooting up their schools.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-23-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I stopped at "yet they still murder innocent civilians all the time". Done.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I stopped at "yet they still murder innocent civilians all the time". Done.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Wow

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (02-23-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Stupid article but i do agree that having teachers armed is not a good idea. Saw someone in another thread a few days ago suggesting having armed Veterans on site - i think that would be a better idea. People with years of firearm training and most probably live combat experience has to be a safer bet than some teacher who's had a couple of firearm lessons surely.

It all sounds so strange to me tbh having lived a sheltered existance over here in Scotland - how do you fathers feel on the subject of having armed teachers in your kids schools?

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    More people armed, Less people get shot

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

KevinD (02-25-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    More people armed, Less people get shot
    I just dont understand that way of thinking You know, the only guns ive seen with my own eyes in this country are shotguns and bolt action rifles (ive seen and touched a handgun in Bulgaria) whereas you guys have grown up handling various weapons - i guess seeing someone with a handgun holstered on their person is as normal to you as me seeing someone with a mobile phone in their hand

This is why i very rarely engage on the US gun debate, we effectively live in different worlds so my opinion means nothing

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    i guess seeing someone with a handgun holstered on their person is as normal to you
    I only see that a few times a year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 8,181 Posts
    Stupid article but i do agree that having teachers armed is not a good idea. Saw someone in another thread a few days ago suggesting having armed Veterans on site - i think that would be a better idea. People with years of firearm training and most probably live combat experience has to be a safer bet than some teacher who's had a couple of firearm lessons surely.

It all sounds so strange to me tbh having lived a sheltered existance over here in Scotland - how do you fathers feel on the subject of having armed teachers in your kids schools?
    There's a scenario known as The Hero Fantasy. The thinking is that another civilian who is armed can take out the shooter. It does happen with convenience store robberies and home invasions, so there is merit to the idea. During large scale shootings, it rarely if ever happens. During a university shooting a few years ago one of the witnesses was found to have been armed and had a conceal and carry permit. He was asked how come he didn't attempt to take a shot at the shooter? Paraphrasing his response - Are you kidding? It's an active shooting scene and I pull out a weapon and start firing? No one knows who I am including the police. I don't want a bullet in the head from a police sniper.

Please don't misunderstand my take on this. There are no better stories than when a civilian stops a fuckwad from hurting other people.

I agree that teachers don't have the necessary coping skills when compared to a military veteran as the real shit starts going down. Teachers may also make a bad decision if they see a student with a replica or similar 'false' situation.

In my view, I see the chain of best options like this if we had to choose who was armed:

Military or police veteran > teacher > civilians and students on the scene

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

KevinD (02-25-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I just dont understand that way of thinking
    The idea is, generally-speaking, most people who are capable of semi-rational thinking really don't want to get shot. So if they know the people around them are armed, then they're less likely to do shit that will get them shot.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (02-26-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I only see that a few times a year.
    Yep, very rarely see someone openly walking around.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    There's a scenario known as The Hero Fantasy. The thinking is that another civilian who is armed can take out the shooter. It does happen with convenience store robberies and home invasions, so there is merit to the idea. During large scale shootings, it rarely if ever happens. During a university shooting a few years ago one of the witnesses was found to have been armed and had a conceal and carry permit. He was asked how come he didn't attempt to take a shot at the shooter? Paraphrasing his response - Are you kidding? It's an active shooting scene and I pull out a weapon and start firing? No one knows who I am including the police. I don't want a bullet in the head from a police sniper.

Please don't misunderstand my take on this. There are no better stories than when a civilian stops a fuckwad from hurting other people.

I agree that teachers don't have the necessary coping skills when compared to a military veteran as the real shit starts going down. Teachers may also make a bad decision if they see a student with a replica or similar 'false' situation.

In my view, I see the chain of best options like this if we had to choose who was armed:

Military or police veteran > teacher > civilians and students on the scene
    I see it like this: The only teachers that will be carrying have grown up responsible gun owners and have had training on how to respond in different situations. They will not just throw a weapon at a bunch of people who have never fired a gun before and let them loose with 2 hours of training.

Also in an active shooter situation you likely would NOT have teachers running around the school hunting the shooter, it's not the movies. You would have an armed teacher sheltering with their students and IF the shooter enters that room the teacher can shoot to protect the kids. It's an offense vs defense scenario.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (02-25-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (02-26-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I see it like this: The only teachers that will be carrying have grown up responsible gun owners and have had training on how to respond in different situations. They will not just throw a weapon at a bunch of people who have never fired a gun before and let them loose with 2 hours of training.

Also in an active shooter situation you likely would NOT have teachers running around the school hunting the shooter, it's not the movies. You would have an armed teacher sheltering with their students and IF the shooter enters that room the teacher can shoot to protect the kids. It's an offense vs defense scenario.
    It happens in other areas of life...

and

I didn't mention this was a likely scenario, but it's good to know and I agree.

My post was to support the idea of veterans with weapons experience over teachers, if arming employees was going to be part of the solution

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks