Thread: Why Gary Oldman's and Kobe Bryant's Oscar wins were the night's biggest tragedy

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts

Rape Culture Why Gary Oldman's and Kobe Bryant's Oscar wins were the night's biggest tragedy

Maeve McDermott, USATODAY

Even at the Me Too Oscars, two men accused of abuse won two of the night’s biggest awards. And their wins were greeted with a shrug.

Gary Oldman won his first career Oscar on Sunday for his performance as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour. Oldman was a clear favorite in the category, sweeping the precursor awards to the Oscars and winning the Golden Globes trophy for best actor in a drama.

And Kobe Bryant, another first-time winner, took home the trophy for best animated short with Dear Basketball, a six-minute film based on a poem Bryant wrote in 2015 announcing his retirement from the NBA.

Both men were applauded on the Oscars stage and on social media, with fans celebrating Oldman’s first career Oscars win in his celebrated Hollywood history, and Bryant adding a different kind of trophy to his collection of sports-related honors.

It’s as if neither man has a history of alleged harassment and abuse. At face value, the Oscars were full of rhetoric celebrating women’s achievements and honoring the Me Too and Time’s Up movements. But Oldman's and Bryant’s wins revealed how much Hollywood really cares about purging the industry’s toxic men. Not as much as advocates hoped.

Call it classic Hollywood hypocrisy, or a failure of the Academy voting bloc to subscribe to the Me Too movement's message, but the Oscars sent a clear message to its problematic men on Sunday that their time may not be up just yet.

The claims against Oldman came in 2001, when Oldman’s ex-wife, Donya Fiorentino, said in her divorce papers that the actor choked and beat her in front of their young children. "As I picked up the phone to call the police, Gary put his hand on my neck and squeezed," she claimed in papers filed in L.A. Superior Court. "I backed away, with the phone receiver in my hand. I tried to dial 911. Gary grabbed the phone receiver from my hand, and hit me in the face with the telephone receiver three or four times. Both of the children were crying.”

Oldman denied Fiorentino's claims, and charges were never filed against him.

In Bryant’s case, the then-NBA star was arrested for sexual assault in 2003 after a hotel employee in Eagle, Colo., accused him of rape. The case was eventually dropped after Bryant’s accuser refused to testify, with Bryant’s defense strategy reliant on questioning the victim’s reputation.

Bryant publicly admitted to having a sexual encounter with his accuser, though he claimed it was consensual, and settled a civil lawsuit for an undisclosed amount.

Contrary to the myth that rape or assault charges are instant career-enders for the accused men, both Oldman and Bryant went on to have illustrious professional lives following their respective accusations, capped off by their Oscar wins Sunday. Save for several articles and some social media buzz resurrecting their allegations, there was no wave of backlash greeting either man's win.

And for all the ceremony’s uplifting moments that were meant to signal a shift in Hollywood following last year’s Harvey Weinstein revelations, the 2018 Oscars actually did worse on the whole “awarding accused rapists and domestic abusers” front than last year’s awards, which controversially awarded Casey Affleck the best-actor trophy after two lawsuits resurfaced that accused him of alleged sexual harassment.

Yet, even as Oldman racked up all of the early awards, making Sunday’s win a near-inevitability, the awards season seemed to be shifting in other ways that suggested a more evolved industry post-Weinstein. Me Too dominated the awards season rhetoric. Celebrities wore all black to the Golden Globes in solidarity with Time’s Up — though they quickly abandoned the dress code at the ensuing awards. James Franco, who won the Golden Globe award for best actor in a comedy before facing mounting accusations of sexual misconduct, did not receive an Oscars nod, suggesting the backlash reached a critical mass among Oscars voters. And Affleck, who had been scheduled to present the best-actress category at Sunday’s awards, withdrew his appearance, with the Oscars skirting what would’ve likely been a controversial moment.

All that made Oldman's and Bryant’s wins, which arrived in between a series of rousing speeches from actresses promoting the work of women in Hollywood and praising the Time’s Up movement, all the more frustrating. For the two steps forward the industry has seemingly taken over the last few months, Oldman's and Bryant’s wins were a step back, proof that Oscar voters — and some portion of Hollywood at large — are willing to separate male artists’ alleged violent histories from their art, and honor them on the industry’s highest levels.

And that's a tragedy, for the Academy, for the women working to change Hollywood for the better, and for movie fans everywhere.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-06-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    It's not a tragedy. It's an awards show that awards people based on their performance in their chosen profession, rather than anything going on in their personal life that has little to nothing to do with their performance in their chosen profession.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-06-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I thought about Kobe's rape charges and the atmosphere of that awards show. Only seeing the recaps, there was a lot of feminine empowerment happening and they just about said - Men's time in Hollywood is done, we've been fucked over long enough and how dare you say anything to the contrary.

Frances Mcdormand made a big deal about having an 'inclusion rider', that means she encouraged every actor to get this stipulation put in their contract which essentially says you can demand diversity on the film you're in. So if the film is about a bunch of white men in the summer of 1979, this rider can change half the cast to women and/or different colored actors. "If it makes sense", which can be another career killer if you're the one fighting against the changes making sense.

The inclusion rider is not sexual assault, but it plays into the Weinstein thing because it supposedly gives more women actors control over the films they're in, rather than the producers, writers, directors...you know, the people who created the film in the first place.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts
    Like the women that bitched online about the WW2 film 'Dunkirk' being "too white and too male"

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Like the women that bitched online about the WW2 film 'Dunkirk' being "too white and too male"

That's what I fear. That the entire industry will become afraid to make a film about guys, or guys and and girls, or hookers...anything that will deemed as 'possibly offensive', no matter how realistic and pertinent to our lives.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    it was 15 years ago for the kobe thing (which wasn't a secret). he got crushed for a long time on sports talk radio about that already. although i can't stand the guy, he has paid for his indiscretions already years ago ffs

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    it was 15 years ago for the kobe thing (which wasn't a secret). he got crushed for a long time on sports talk radio about that already. although i can't stand the guy, he has paid for his indiscretions already years ago ffs
    Yes paid for is what happened

I can see why they're pissed. He was accused of rape and a settlement was paid. Not an innocent decision rendered. He was a married guy at the time so that's another factor.

Do we hold rape over his head forever after he's 'paid the fine' ?

You know these women will....

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    All oscars must be forfeited to Rosie Odonnol.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    All oscars must be forfeited to Rosie Odonnol.
    She could sit on one and not even break a sweat.