Thread: ICE agents manage to interview inmate in San Francisco, prompting warning from sheriff

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Anarchy ICE agents manage to interview inmate in San Francisco, prompting warning from sheriff

By Gregg Re | Fox News

ICE agents managed to interview an inmate in a San Francisco jail earlier this month, in what the sanctuary city's sheriff is calling a deliberate effort by the feds to find "weak points" in her department's pro-illegal immigrant policies and state laws.

In a separate snafu, police said, ICE agents were granted an interview room with an inmate in another jail, but that inmate declined to speak with the agents.

Jail officials apparently violated both departmental policy and California law by accomodating the agents, authorities said Monday.

San Francisco Sheriff Sheriff Hennessy apologized, saying she is responsible for her officers allowing ICE
    agents to interview an inmate.

“My staff made a mistake and I have to hold myself accountable,” San Francisco Sheriff Vicki Hennessy told The San Francisco Chronicle. “I apologize on behalf of the department. I feel embarrassed by it. I’ve taken steps to make sure it never happens again.”

But Hennessy said federal immigration authorities, who arrested 232 in a sweeping Bay Area immigration crackdown just weeks ago, knew what they were doing.

ICE was "testing our defenses and they found some weak points," Hennessy told the Chronicle.

A pro-illegal immigrant protester in San Francisco, where authorities reportedly let ICE agents interview an
    inmate earlier this month.

California state law mandates that inmates receive a consent form prior to interviewing with ICE agents, and San Francisco police policy goes a step further by banning ICE agents from having any access to inmates, the paper reported.

Officials reportedly did not provide a consent form to the inmate they managed to interview.

“How sheriff’s deputies are not aware of our sanctuary policies is quite frankly beyond me,” city public defender Jeff Adachi told the Chronicle.

Jail officials reportedly turned the ICE agents away when they attempted to return, according to local reports.

News of the jailhouse episode comes amid a bitter legal and political feud between California and the federal government over immigration policy.

On more than 200 occassions already this year, ICE has requested that California hold or surrender illegal immigrant inmates, the Chronicle reported. The state has not acted on any of these requests.

Last week, the Justice Department announced it is suing California for impermissibly interfering with federal immigration authority, in violation of the Constitution's Supremacy Clause.

“California is using every power it has, and some it does not, to frustrate federal law enforcement,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said. “So you can be sure I’m going to use every power I have to stop them.”

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Are we even sure that California is part of the United States anymore?

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Obstruction
    Aiding and abetting
    And since they would be federal charges, no state governor would be able to issue a pardon.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (03-13-2018)