Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Surgeon demands ICBC pay out nearly $1M for wrecked Ferrari

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,842 Times in 8,180 Posts
    Guy at work made fun of me for being honest and saying I'm using the vehicle for business commutes to work. I ended up leaving my work parking lot, turned left and got hit by the BC truck driver about 1000 meters from my workplace.

Same guy who made fun of me got rear ended by a courier in our work parking lot and ended up paying for his repairs out of pocket. His insurance company made one phone call to our supervisor and confirmed he drove the vehicle to work that day.

Moral of the story - 48 dollars per year difference between claiming work/pleasure use. (for me)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I dunno if it would help...I can't even begin to count the number of violations I have seen happen right in front of cops and the cop didn't do anything. And it really pisses me off. Last ticket I got was for allegedly running a red light. Cop pulled me over, told me why he stopped me, and I told him it was still yellow when I entered the intersection. He said, you're right it was close, but I'm still giving you a ticket because we have zero tolerance for red light violations.

Biggest offense I see every freaking day is people ACTUALLY running red lights, especially on left turns.
    I got tagged for a red light violation and speeding, two separate tickets, same sort of situation...on my birthday and called the cop a name (in humor)

He said - Can you tell me why you're smiling sir, I'm giving you two tickets.
    me - It's Monday morning on the way to work and look at my license you dickhead, it's my birthday!
    Him - I'll be right back.

He comes back and says - Sir, because it's Monday and your birthday, I've spaced the time to pay out on the tickets. And I am not a dickhead. Have a nice day.

I've always thought some form of CCTV could determine actual yellow/red light situations and speed. If they used the tech

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-17-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    I don't have a problem with video cameras being used to determine an accident, other crime or as video proof you did or did not run a red light when a real life officer pulls you over. I do have a problem with automated red light and speed cameras that are run by third parties and not manned by police.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-17-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I don't have a problem with video cameras being used to determine an accident, other crime or as video proof you did or did not run a red light when a real life officer pulls you over. I do have a problem with automated red light and speed cameras that are run by third parties and not manned by police.
    I'm thinking of that recent gif where the guy keeps jumping up on the hood of car and the driver has a dashcam recording the event

I think cameras should be used to determine fault in lots of situations, not just red light infractions.

Truck driver pulling a 53 foot trailer ran a stop sign and hit my car in the rear left quarter panel so hard, I couldn't open my driver side door. (two door vehicle)

He comes up to me and says - Oh no my bumper! And then starts whining about his job. I scream at him, tell him to SHUT UP and wait OVER THERE, while I smoke and get my shit together. The cops show up, as they once did at minor accidents and look at my car, his PETERBILT CABOVER and the stop sign, then determine instantly he was at fault.

Yet I have to fight with his insurance company for over a month and eventually he tries to claim my car traveled 500 meters in three seconds, and I somehow got in front of him as he had waited at the stop sign, then was going through the turn before he hit me.

I'm being recorded by the adjuster on a phone call and used to be pretty good at math, when that scenario was presented. I respond - So your driver is claiming my 1986 Buick Skylark was traveling in excess of 300 kilometers per hour after traveling less than 500 meters??? That car will never be capable of traveling 300 kms per hour in ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

CCTV may have helped me there
    Last edited by Hal-9000; 03-16-2018 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I'm thinking of that recent gif where the guy keeps jumping up on the hood of car and the driver has a dashcam recording the event

I think cameras should be used to determine fault in lots of situations, not just red light infractions.

Agreed. The issue I have with unmanned red light or speed cameras are that they are run by 3rd party companies that are 100% out to make a profit. It's been shown on many occasions of them shortening the timing of the yellow to gain revenue. Also motion captured stills don't show the whole scenario. For instance someone rolls up on a red light to turn right and their tire breaks the line in the road before they come to a complete stop. Any cop would let that go but a camera would issue a ticket.
    For that reason and more they have judged automatic cameras that ticket unlawful here unless they are manned by an officer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Agreed. The issue I have with unmanned red light or speed cameras are that they are run by 3rd party companies that are 100% out to make a profit. It's been shown on many occasions of them shortening the timing of the yellow to gain revenue. Also motion captured stills don't show the whole scenario. For instance someone rolls up on a red light to turn right and their tire breaks the line in the road before they come to a complete stop. Any cop would let that go but a camera would issue a ticket.
    For that reason and more they have judged automatic cameras that ticket unlawful here unless they are manned by an officer.
    Conversely, I've got way more speeding tickets via camera than when a cop is there shooting the radar gun

I live on a drive that enters and exits onto the same road at two different places. Think of a U with a line across the top.

The entire area is a moat of playground zones. You can't get to my place without driving through a playground zone.

Everyone speeds, even with a school, large schoolyard and park on the drive. Yet I've never seen a cop there. If they were to set up a camera just on the road that forms the top part of U, they would tag 50 cars a day.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I rarely see a cop in my area. It's a development with a grid of 25mph streets. Not a lot of through traffic. Most everyone does 30 or so, will roll the stop signs. There are a few cars a week that are excessively speeding or totally blowing the stop without slowing down. If it became a regular occurrence a neighbor or myself would call and ask to put an officer there for a couple days to get the offenders and deter anyone else.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My back alley is the problem for me. Parents use it to drop off their kids at the school as it's about 200 meters closer than the street. (lazy asses)

And they have been speeding down it for decades. You'd think right after dropping off your six year old kid, that a parent would be considerate of other kids in the same location.

I have fantasies about spike belts, pit traps, hidden tire gates.....but then I would become 'that guy' and don't want the reputation

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    My back alley is the problem for me.

I have fantasies about spike belts, pit traps, hidden tire gates.....but then I would become 'that guy' and don't want the reputation

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've mentioned this...my Dad put two railway ties along the outside of our little strip of grass behind the fence. He got so tired of people parking there daily and chewing up our lawn.

City told him that strip of lawn was our responsibility to look after, so he did.

One time a woman high centered her vehicle on one...Lordy you should of heard the language coming out of her filthy mouth