Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broward Deputy Scot Peterson seen standing outside during Florida school shooting in new video

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Wanker Broward Deputy Scot Peterson seen standing outside during Florida school shooting in new video

By Katherine Lam | Fox News

Former Deputy Scot Peterson, right, is seen on newly released video taken during the Feb. 14 Florida school shooting.

Broward Deputy Scot Peterson stands safely behind a concrete wall taking no action as high school students lay dead and wounded just feet away, newly released video of the Florida school shooting shows.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office released the 27-minute video Thursday of the former longtime resource officer responding to initial reports of a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb. 14. Peterson, who was assigned to the school and on site when the shooting began, is seen with a civilian security monitor at the start of the video, but spends most of the video standing outside the school with his gun drawn.

“The video speaks for itself,” the Broward Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. “His actions were enough to warrant an internal affairs investigation, as requested by Sheriff Scott Israel on Feb. 21. After being suspended without pay, Peterson chose to resign and immediately retired rather than face possible termination.”

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel previously said Peterson, who was armed when gunman Nikolas Cruz opened fire at the Parkland high school, “never went in[to]” the building that was under attack. The sheriff added that Peterson instead took up a position viewing the western entrance of the building — as the video released Thursday shows. Peterson remains in the area for the next 20 minutes. Responding officers arrive at the scene, taking a total of 11 minutes to enter the building from the time shots were first reported.

Cruz, who's not seen in the video released Thursday, killed 17 people and injured 17 others that day with Peterson outside the entire time. Israel said Peterson should have charged in and tried to kill the gunman.

Peterson fired back at the sheriff’s words in late February. In a statement released through his lawyer, the ex-deputy said he initially didn’t enter the building because he believed the shooter was outside. He added that he wished he could have prevented the horrific tragedy, but denied being a “coward.”

Former Deputy Scot Peterson is seen standing outside the building as gunman Nikolas Cruz opened fire inside.

Internal radio dispatches released by Broward County Sheriff’s Department, however, revealed the former school resource officer said gunfire was coming from “inside,” according to the Miami Herald.

“Do not approach the 12 or 1300 building, stay at least 500 feet away,” Peterson was heard saying over the radio.

Investigators revealed Peterson’s focus was on getting nearby streets and the high school shut down and keeping deputies away from the building.

The surveillance videos were made public after several media outlets sued for the release. A Broward circuit judge authorized the release on Thursday. Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie backed Thursday's release of the video, saying it brings "transparency" to the investigation.

"I believe in transparency with the public and I believe they should see it," Runcie had told the Sun Sentinel. "The public has a right to know what happened, and we should be able to learn from that and figure out what we need to change in our institutions to get better as we go forward."

“The attorneys agreed it wouldn’t give any of our secrets away with regard to security” at Douglas High School, School Board Chairwoman Nora Rupert told the Sun Sentinel about the decision not to appeal the video’s release.

It’s unclear if other camera angles surrounding the school were available.

President Trump last month slammed Peterson’s actions, calling him a “coward.”

"When it came time to get in there and do something, he didn't have the courage, or something happened," Trump said. "He certainly did a poor job. That's the case where somebody was outside, they are trained, they didn't react properly under pressure or they were a coward."

Cruz appeared in court on Wednesday for his arraignment on 17 counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder. The judge entered a not guilty plea on the gunman’s behalf. Prosecutors on Tuesday filed a notice of intent to seek the death penalty for Cruz.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 8,181 Posts
    Let's talk about the time frame and weapons here. According to police calls they've established Cruz took only SIX minutes to kill 17 people and injure 17 more. He went into varying classrooms four times.

He used the semi automatic AR-15, which fires at a faster rate than a regular hand gun.

Do we expect this resource officer to go into the school, run to where the people are being shot and hit the gunman within that six minute window using an inferior weapon? Getting shamed by the president on local news for not taking action. Was that necessary?

I think shooters are cowards and would love to bring one down, but just reading the story frightened me. I'm not sure I could get close enough during the initial confusion and keep my head clear.

That's what people forget or don't realize. In those initial minutes of panic during firefights, even veterans with experience say understanding threat assessment is difficult.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Let's talk about the time frame and weapons here. According to police calls they've established Cruz took only SIX minutes to kill 17 people and injure 17 more. He went into varying classrooms four times.

He used the semi automatic AR-15, which fires at a faster rate than a regular hand gun.

Do we expect this resource officer to go into the school, run to where the people are being shot and hit the gunman within that six minute window using an inferior weapon? Getting shamed by the president on local news for not taking action. Was that necessary?

I think shooters are cowards and would love to bring one down, but just reading the story frightened me. I'm not sure I could get close enough during the initial confusion and keep my head clear.

That's what people forget or don't realize. In those initial minutes of panic during firefights, even veterans with experience say understanding threat assessment is difficult.
    Yes, that's his job. He's a police officer, he knows he may need to put his life on the line. He deserves all the shame and ridicule he gets IMHO. He was and is a coward.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-17-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yes, that's his job. He's a police officer, he knows he may need to put his life on the line. He deserves all the shame and ridicule he gets IMHO. He was and is a coward.
    So the Charlton Heston in me has to ask...what is he armed with? Revolver, nine mill, something along those lines? Is he being outgunned from the outset? If an 18 year old can buy and use a semi-auto, why not give the resource officers a compatible weapon?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So the Charlton Heston in me has to ask...what is he armed with? Revolver, nine mill, something along those lines? Is he being outgunned from the outset? If an 18 year old can buy and use a semi-auto, why not give the resource officers a compatible weapon?
    No police officer carries a revolver anymore. He (most likely) carried a pistol in either 9mm or .40 caliber that had a 15 round clip. But, that doesn't matter, his job is to protect, and he didn't.

Side note, at least in Broward County where this happened, the police officers assigned to the schools will now be carrying rifles.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No police officer carries a revolver anymore. He (most likely) carried a pistol in either 9mm or .40 caliber that had a 15 round clip. But, that doesn't matter, his job is to protect, and he didn't.

Side note, at least in Broward County where this happened, the police officers assigned to the schools will now be carrying rifles.
    So do their weapons now or in future, fire as fast as an AR-15, or any other semi-automatic rifle?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Every semi-auto fires exactly the same speed. It fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Every semi-auto fires exactly the same speed. It fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.
    I understand that.

I'm asking about the difference in the weapons the resource officers are using now compared to an AR-15...and the comparison of an AR-15 to whatever rifles the resource officers will be assigned.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My question is - Are the resource officers being outgunned from the outset in these school shooting situations?

Stock AR-15 can fire 45 rounds per minute and can have clips containing 60 or 100 rounds.

9mm or .40 cal handguns aren't comparable in clip sizes or speed.

Questioned answered, thanks anyways.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Assuming the training of the officer is superior he would be just fine with a 9mm or .40 cal handgun. Hit center mass and dead is dead regardless of the weapon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Assuming the training of the officer is superior he would be just fine with a 9mm or .40 cal handgun. Hit center mass and dead is dead regardless of the weapon.
    Is it easier to hit someone with a rifle compared to a handgun? As in AR-15 vs 9mm?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My question is - Are the resource officers being outgunned from the outset in these school shooting situations?

Stock AR-15 can fire 45 rounds per minute and can have clips containing 60 or 100 rounds.

The speed is exactly the same...if you can fire a semi-auto rifle at 45 rounds per minute, then you can fire a pistol at the same speed. There is no difference in speed of fire. And the largest standard magazine you are going to get for an AR style weapon will be 30 rounds, those are by far the most common. If you weigh one down with a rare 100 round magazine, the rifle will be unbearably heavy and unweildly.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks

60 and 100 round magazines are rarely used. Typical mags for that weapon in .223 caliber are 10-30 rds. A Glock 40 is 15 rounds I think.

The rounds per minute stuff isn't relevant in the real world because different people can pull the trigger faster than others. Also relies on how fast you can be effective with those shots. I can probably fire off 100 rds/min with my 22 rifle or my handgun given enough magazines. Doesn't mean I'm gonna hit a damn thing firing like that.

If you are an effective enough shooter you can hit more "targets" effectively with fewer rounds. Especially with a more maneuverable handgun.

BTW a typical "AR15" is calibered in .223. A Glock 40 is .40 caliber, a much larger round and had plenty of power to put someone down. The rifle round travels much faster though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (03-16-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Is it easier to hit someone with a rifle compared to a handgun? As in AR-15 vs 9mm?
    Typically? I'd probably say yes. More so the greater the distance. In close quarters a handgun would be more effective to hit multiple targets quickly as you can, the rifle would do more damage because of the speed of the round.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The speed is exactly the same...if you can fire a semi-auto rifle at 45 rounds per minute, then you can fire a pistol at the same speed. There is no difference in speed of fire. And the largest standard magazine you are going to get for an AR style weapon will be 30 rounds, those are by far the most common. If you weigh one down with a rare 100 round magazine, the rifle will be unbearably heavy and unweildly.
    Please don't facepalm me when I ask a question. This is why Americans enjoy a certain reputation when anyone attempts to have a civil discussion with you on the subject.

So a semi-automatic rifle fires bullets at the same speed as a handgun. In 60 seconds an AR-15 fires 45 bullets and a person with a handgun can fire bullets at the same speed (until their clip runs out).

Thanks.