Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broward Deputy Scot Peterson seen standing outside during Florida school shooting in new video

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,839 Times in 8,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Typically? I'd probably say yes. More so the greater the distance. In close quarters a handgun would be more effective to hit multiple targets quickly as you can, the rifle would do more damage because of the speed of the round.
    So the rifles do have a faster round. Adding to what Lance just told me and to clarify, semi autos and handguns can "be fired at the same speed", but the round coming out travels at a faster velocity.

Is that correct?

eg handgun bullet - 279 mph
    semi auto bullet - 401 mph

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    60 and 100 round magazines are rarely used. Typical mags for that weapon in .223 caliber are 10-30 rds. A Glock 40 is 15 rounds I think.

The rounds per minute stuff isn't relevant in the real world because different people can pull the trigger faster than others. Also relies on how fast you can be effective with those shots. I can probably fire off 100 rds/min with my 22 rifle or my handgun given enough magazines. Doesn't mean I'm gonna hit a damn thing firing like that.

If you are an effective enough shooter you can hit more "targets" effectively with fewer rounds. Especially with a more maneuverable handgun.

BTW a typical "AR15" is calibered in .223. A Glock 40 is .40 caliber, a much larger round and had plenty of power to put someone down. The rifle round travels much faster though.
    That was my next question about calibers. A .40 round is pretty large.

Thanks for the info.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Please don't facepalm me when I ask a question. This is why Americans enjoy a certain reputation when anyone attempts to have a civil discussion with you on the subject.

So a semi-automatic rifle fires bullets at the same speed as a handgun. In 60 seconds an AR-15 fires 45 bullets and a person with a handgun can fire bullets at the same speed (until their clip runs out).

Thanks.
    More or less. Firing 45 rds/min out of an AR would take 2 magazines. (assuming a 30 rd mag) Firing 45 rds/min out of a handgun would take at least 3 mags.

Rate of fire really isn't relevant though. Rifles have more "stopping power" due to the speed the bullet is traveling. Faster bullet = more damage.

The AR style of rifle is more maneuverable than a standard rifle and is more easily adapted to personal preferences, Being able to modify it is one of the reasons it's so popular with gun enthusiasts. The reason it's popular with stupid kids who go on school shootings? Because it looks cool and is like the guns they use in their favorite video games.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So the rifles do have a faster round. Adding to what Lance just told me and to clarify, semi autos and handguns can "be fired at the same speed", but the round coming out travels at a faster velocity.

Is that correct?

eg handgun bullet - 279 mph
    Rifle bullet - 401 mph
    Correct. But handgun = 900=1400 feet per second. Rifle round 3000 feet per second.

(corrected semi auto to rifle in your post as both the handguns and rifles are semi auto)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    More or less. Firing 45 rds/min out of an AR would take 2 magazines. (assuming a 30 rd mag) Firing 45 rds/min out of a handgun would take at least 3 mags.

Rate of fire really isn't relevant though. Rifles have more "stopping power" due to the speed the bullet is traveling. Faster bullet = more damage.

The AR style of rifle is more maneuverable than a standard rifle and is more easily adapted to personal preferences, Being able to modify it is one of the reasons it's so popular with gun enthusiasts. The reason it's popular with stupid kids who go on school shootings? Because it looks cool and is like the guns they use in their favorite video games.
    This is what I'm trying to learn. Are the school resource guys outgunned when shooters show up by virtue of the weapons used?

My mind and logic tells me a semi-automatic weapon fires at a faster rate than a handgun = advantage shooter. According to you this isn't accurate.

You guys are explaining the rate of fire is comparable, but the velocity and stopping power is greater with the semi-auto rifle.

You've further explained that other than using limited clips and reloading time, a person using a handgun should be able to have the same chance of hitting the shooter in terms of timing.

Interesting stuff.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Correct. But handgun = 900=1400 feet per second. Rifle round 3000 feet per second.

(corrected semi auto to rifle in your post as both the handguns and rifles are semi auto)
    It's about twice the velocity in both cases but more importantly, handguns are semi automatic?

And by you changing my terminology does that mean all rifles are semi-auto? I didn't know that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Now you're getting it!

A lot of it comes down to basic science. A handgun has a much shorter barrel therefore the bullet has less time to gain velocity, Also since it's shorter and lighter it "kicks" a lot more and, this makes it more difficult to hit targets at distance. At close distances (lets say under 25 feet/ 6.2 meters) it's relatively easy to be accurate.
    A rifle, with a longer barrel gains velocity, is also heavier which greatly reduces the kick back. This keeps the barrel more manageable. Also the length helps with accuracy, especially at greater distances. You lose maneuverability due to the greater length and weight but gain stopping power.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's about twice the velocity in both cases but more importantly, handguns are semi automatic?

And by you changing my terminology does that mean all rifles are semi-auto? I didn't know that.
    Most (80%?) handguns and rifles sold today are semi auto. Pretty much shotguns, revolvers and bolt action rifles are not.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Spit a popcorn kernel at someone, then spit another one through a straw. There's your difference between handguns and rifles.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Most (80%?) handguns and rifles sold today are semi auto. Pretty much shotguns, revolvers and bolt action rifles are not.
    Yes, this reasoning is creating the disparity between traditional ideas of weapons and what I've experienced.

Any handguns I've seen are single shot (not semi-auto) and most rifles (never semi-auto) have been owned by cousins and uncles on farms. I live in what amounts to a farming/cattle province. We get called Little Texas or Texas North often, so I'm not completely unaware of gun environments. Every visit to the various farms in my childhood consisted of motorbikes, snowmobiles, and/or guns.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Now you're getting it!

A lot of it comes down to basic science. A handgun has a much shorter barrel therefore the bullet has less time to gain velocity, Also since it's shorter and lighter it "kicks" a lot more and, this makes it more difficult to hit targets at distance. At close distances (lets say under 25 feet/ 6.2 meters) it's relatively easy to be accurate.
    A rifle, with a longer barrel gains velocity, is also heavier which greatly reduces the kick back. This keeps the barrel more manageable. Also the length helps with accuracy, especially at greater distances. You lose maneuverability due to the greater length and weight but gain stopping power.
    Yeah I've been aware of velocity of bullets coming from different weapons for long time now...because I'm a nerd that way.

So final question - You and I are outside on a tennis court. I have an AR-15 and you have a 9mm handgun. We're going to get a signal to start moving and shooting. Do I have the advantage?

*prerequisite is that we both know how to properly fire our respective weapons.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just remembered, I found this earlier and thought of you. It's a chart showing the percentage of gun ownership per state. I think you will be surprised at the numbers.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun...tag=ACQ449302a

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just remembered, I found this earlier and thought of you. It's a chart showing the percentage of gun ownership per state. I think you will be surprised at the numbers.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun...tag=ACQ449302a
    (final, final question)

I read a stat that said there are 320 million firearms in America. The amount of guns outnumbers the population by a considerable amount. This number was categorized as being 'known', and additional weapons could not be estimated or verified.

Looking at your link, there's some states with low percentages (when compared with another American states), so these numbers indicate that some people have a fuckton of guns, while others are less inclined.

Do you believe the 320 million number?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah I've been aware of velocity of bullets coming from different weapons for long time now...because I'm a nerd that way.

So final question - You and I are outside on a tennis court. I have an AR-15 and you have a 9mm handgun. We're going to get a signal to start moving and shooting. Do I have the advantage?

*prerequisite is that we both know how to properly fire our respective weapons.
    Hmm.... Old style western standoff? Assuming that we both have similar reaction times and start with the guns not aimed? Lets say either both pointed down or mine in a holster and yours on a strap around your neck, hands off, go on three?

I'd have to say we would both hit the ground dead simultaneously. You with three bullets in you and me with one. I would get the first two shots off first and probably hit you with the third as your one shot would be more devastating and immediately put me down.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    (final, final question)

I read a stat that said there are 320 million firearms in America. The amount of guns outnumbers the population by a considerable amount. This number was categorized as being 'known', and additional weapons could not be estimated or verified.

Looking at your link, there's some states with low percentages (when compared with another American states), so these numbers indicate that some people have a fuckton of guns, while others are less inclined.

Do you believe the 320 million number?
    Yes, that's why I posted that. The assumption is that since there are more guns than people that must mean everyone has a gun. I read another number somewhere that said 3-4% of the population owns something like 60% percent of the guns. So yes I believe the 320mil number and I believe that a comparative few have a very large collection of weapons.
    Personally here in Ohio it says it's almost 20%? I feel that is very accurate. I'm in the suburbs near a large city and I know very few people who are armed. Even fewer who carry daily. It's rare to see someone on the street with a suspicious bulge under their coat. Head out toward the more rural areas and those numbers go way up. For instance on the Island where my summer place is, probably the majority of households have at least one weapon. They even have a "turkey shoot" (using targets, not turkeys) in the fall for the locals.