Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broward Deputy Scot Peterson seen standing outside during Florida school shooting in new video

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,846 Times in 8,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Hmm.... Old style western standoff? Assuming that we both have similar reaction times and start with the guns not aimed? Lets say either both pointed down or mine in a holster and yours on a strap around your neck, hands off, go on three?

I'd have to say we would both hit the ground dead simultaneously. You with three bullets in you and me with one. I would get the first two shots off first and probably hit you with the third as your one shot would be more devastating and immediately put me down.
    Fascinating.

*works on his Rambo spray technique while yelling*

and yes, we both have similar reaction times and yours isn't in a holster etc

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yes, that's why I posted that. The assumption is that since there are more guns than people that must mean everyone has a gun. I read another number somewhere that said 3-4% of the population owns something like 60% percent of the guns. So yes I believe the 320mil number and I believe that a comparative few have a very large collection of weapons.
    Personally here in Ohio it says it's almost 20%? I feel that is very accurate. I'm in the suburbs near a large city and I know very few people who are armed. Even fewer who carry daily. It's rare to see someone on the street with a suspicious bulge under their coat. Head out toward the more rural areas and those numbers go way up. For instance on the Island where my summer place is, probably the majority of households have at least one weapon. They even have a "turkey shoot" (using targets, not turkeys) in the fall for the locals.
    You know I loved Southern Belle and enjoyed posting with her. I respected her. One night at AS we were talking guns and she mentioned she had a handful of guns in her place and didn't really know how many. She did know some were registered. That statement stuck with me for a long time. I won't tell you why because I'd like this discussion to end on a reasonably positive note.

Thanks for the info.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    No problem, I enjoyed the convo as always.

I'd be interested to see if someone else here with experience with guns would agree with my results in the "standoff" scenario.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I liked Clint's little advice scene in Unforgiven when the other guy is asking him about the famous shootout where Clint gunned down something like 5 or 6 people.

Clint said take your time and shoot slowly...

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    That's about right. I'm not experienced enough to be a fast shooter. I take my time and aim every shot. I don't shoot often enough. Maybe this summer I will spend some more time practicing things like draw and fire. Currently I'm more than comfortable target shooting and I'm confident if someone broke into my house that I could defend myself. As far as carrying out of the house? No, not right now. Maybe in the future I will get a conceal carry license but I don't feel the need to right now. The only reason for me to get it now would be the relaxed ruled for transporting firearms in a vehicle with a CCL.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's about right. I'm not experienced enough to be a fast shooter. I take my time and aim every shot. I don't shoot often enough. Maybe this summer I will spend some more time practicing things like draw and fire. Currently I'm more than comfortable target shooting and I'm confident if someone broke into my house that I could defend myself. As far as carrying out of the house? No, not right now. Maybe in the future I will get a conceal carry license but I don't feel the need to right now. The only reason for me to get it now would be the relaxed ruled for transporting firearms in a vehicle with a CCL.
    The thing that bothers me about the conceal carry scenario is the anger element. I'm fucking pissed right now and going to make a decision against another civilian on the spot using a gun. The reason is unimportant, you cut me off driving, you said something derogatory to me....you are out of BBQ sauce for the nuggets in the drive-thru!

It's the on the spot decision making that gun owners are allowed to make that petrifies me. Home invasion - for sure. I'm a convert on that issue. Protection from harm while outside - Yes, same thing.

I can't however agree with the vague tenets of the stand your ground law where one non lethal action somehow equates to a fatal gunshot wound.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    You know I loved Southern Belle and enjoyed posting with her. I respected her. One night at AS we were talking guns and she mentioned she had a handful of guns in her place and didn't really know how many. She did know some were registered. That statement stuck with me for a long time. I won't tell you why because I'd like this discussion to end on a reasonably positive note.

Thanks for the info.
    i would say it is pretty unusual for someone to own a single firearm here in the states. the people i know either don't have any or own around 5-10

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (03-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I'll be honest, my gut reaction was that I wanted to defend this guy for some reason, at least until I understood his circumstance better. I was thinking that a lot of people who believe they'd be gun slingers have just seen John Wick too many times. I have no doubt we'd all defend our homes and families with our lives, backed into a corner, but on duty in a situation like this that it's confusing and would be different for many people. I also know that police training is often all about not running in by yourself and waiting for back-up (haven't cops been reprimanded for being too Serpico before? )....... but after watching the video and listening to his boss I'm not sure anymore, I'm now feeling he should've done way more. I just don't know..
    Last edited by Godfather; 03-17-2018 at 01:52 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-17-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i would say it is pretty unusual for someone to own a single firearm here in the states. the people i know either don't have any or own around 5-10
    I've had just one for years I enjoy owning it, it's fun to shoot, gives me some peace-of-mind.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    i think this guy froze when the exact situation that he was there to deal with arose

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I've had just one for years
    are you in the united states now?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    are you in the united states now?
    Nope, still Canada Despite what you might hear, we have plenty of guns. It takes a few hoops to get your license, and the guns & accessories we can own are more restrictive, but you can go buy an AR-15 and handguns if you want.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    then i still stand by initial statement

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    then i still stand by initial statement
    Fair.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Just remembered, I found this earlier and thought of you. It's a chart showing the percentage of gun ownership per state. I think you will be surprised at the numbers.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun...tag=ACQ449302a
    Second highest in the country... If Jan Morgan gets Governor we will be #1! OORAH!!!