Thread: Fox 5 DC anchors come under fire after they call a Houston teenager who was accepted to 20 colleges 'obnoxious'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

The Race Card Fox 5 DC anchors come under fire after they call a Houston teenager who was accepted to 20 colleges 'obnoxious'

By Mary Kekatos For Dailymail.com

Anchors on Fox 5 DC have come under fire after they called a Houston teenager who was accepted to 20 different colleges 'obnoxious'.

Anchor Holly Morris and contributor Sarah Fraser were having a discussion on April 3 about Michael Brown, the high school senior who was accepted into every school he applied to, including several top universities.

The two women criticized Brown for applying to so many universities, saying that he was depriving other hard-working students of spots at the schools.

'It's a little ridiculous that this kid applied to 20 [colleges] taking away a spot and basically wait-listing another kid,' Fraser said.

Morris replied: 'It's a little obnoxious because you can only go to one. You can only take one full ride, and you are taking a spot from someone else who worked really hard.'

Seventeen-year-old Brown has a 4.68 GPA at Lamar High School was accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Northwestern, University of Pennsylvania, Stanford, Georgetown and Vanderbilt, receiving full-ride scholarships from them and every other school he applied to.

A NowThis video criticizing the piece - and cutting the anchor’s reaction with with Brown’s excitement upon learning of his acceptances - has been viewed more than 7.83 million times.

Several viewers took to Twitter to criticize the pair for being condescending, inconsiderate and racist

Several viewers took to Twitter to criticize the pair for being condescending, inconsiderate and racist.

'White women criticize exceptional young man black who, because he is so smart and knows the odds he’s up against in white America, casts the wide net his hard work deserved,' tweeted one user.

Another user wrote: 'This doesn’t 'take a space or a scholarship' away from ANYONE. Yale isn’t going to suddenly enroll only 1,499 freshmen or only give $4,950,000 in financial aid if this kid goes to Stanford instead. This is straight up, poorly coded, bigotry.'

Fraser has since apologized for her comments but Morris stood firm in her opinion of the matter

Fraser apologized for her comments on Saturday in a tweet and said had 'learned a lesson'.

'I don’t feel that way. I have apologized to Michael and he accepted my apology. Michaels [sic] accomplishments aren’t up for debate. I have learned a valuable lesson,' she wrote.

However, Morris remained more defensive and said that race had nothing to do with her opinion on the matter.

'I also said he is an amazing young man. This is not a racial issue. I would have the exact same opinion if the boy was white,' she wrote on Wednesday.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-12-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I wondered how far into this pice id get before "racist" was used

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-12-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)