Thread: 14 killed in bloody 36 hours as violence rocks tourist hot spot Cancun

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Travel 14 killed in bloody 36 hours as violence rocks tourist hot spot Cancun

Tribune Media Wire

CANCUN, Mexico — Violence rocked Mexico’s most popular tourist town, leaving 14 dead and five more injured in a 36-hour span, Noticaribe reports.

The deaths and injuries were the result of six separate incidents between the morning of April 4 and the evening of April 5.

Nine people were killed on April 4.

In the past decade, the highest number of people killed in a single day in Cancun was five.

The killings are thought to be linked to organized crime.

On Tuesday, a judge ordered cartel “queenpin” Leticia Rodriguez Lara, known as “Dona Lety,” to stand trial on multiple charges, including drug trafficking, according to the Associated Press.

Believed to be a former police officer with ties to El Chapo, Lara’s crew allegedly mounted a bloody campaign to take control of drug sales in Cancun and Playa del Carmen.

In March, the State Department issued a do not travel advisory for several Mexican states, citing widespread violent crime and gang activity.

Travel was not restricted to Cancun, which is in Quintana Roo state, because “homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations.”

But travelers were warned that bystanders have been injured or killed in the past.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Godfather posted a video on the escalating crime in that place and I shared it with my friend. He canceled his $8,000.00 vacation over the video...

Keep fucking things up cartel drug guys..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-13-2018)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    Less than london but at least you get a suntan

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    We had our honeymoon in Cancun almost 15 years ago and even then it was kind of scary. The resort was fine, but there were armed guards around it. We went to a Mayan temple and the same thing. It felt like what you were experiencing was just a veneer, and if you peeked behind the curtain, it was a totally different world.

It put me off travelling there afterwards - many people here on the W. Coast go down there because it's a fairly cheap vacation. I think a lot of "Destination Vacation" places are the same. Egypt, Cuba, even Vegas.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Noilly Pratt For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Godfather posted a video on the escalating crime in that place and I shared it with my friend. He canceled his $8,000.00 vacation over the video...

Keep fucking things up cartel drug guys..
    I'm still going to Cabos with 6 friends in a couple weeks Hoping the violence stays on the east coast.