#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Travel Colorado woman trying to stomach $500 fine for free airline snack

by Emily Allen - FOX 31 Denver

DENVER -- An Arvada woman said she's facing a $500 fine from U.S. Customs and Border Patrol after she saved a free apple she received from an airline on her way home from Paris.

Crystal Tadlock said towards the end of her flight from Paris, flight attendants passed out apples in plastic bags. She wasn't hungry at the time so she threw the snack in her bag and planned to eat it during the second leg of her trip back to Denver.

Tadlock said when she went through Customs, her bag was randomly searched. She said the Customs agent pulled out the apple in the plastic bag with Delta's logo on it. Tadlock explained she's just received the snack from the airline and asked if she could throw it out or eat it. She said the agent said no, and handed her a $500 fine for the apple instead.

"He had asked me if my trip to France was expensive and I said, 'yeah.' I didn’t really get why he was asking that question, and then he said 'It’s about to get a lot more expensive after I charge you $500,'" said Tadlock.

Tadlock said she's frustrated that an innocent mistake could amount to a $500 and the loss of her Global Entry Status. Tadlock said Delta shouldn't have passed out apples to customers or at least reminded passengers not to take the fruit off the plane. She also said she's frustrated that Customs would ticket her when the agent clearly saw the snack came from an airline.

"It’s really unfortunate someone has to go through that and be treated like a criminal over a piece of fruit," said Tadlock.

A spokesperson with Delta said in a statement, "we encourage our customers to follow U.S. Customs and Border Protection protocols."

A spokesperson for U.S. Customs and Border Patrol said in a statement, "Privacy policy prohibits CBP from discussing the details of any individuals specific inspection, however all agriculture items must be declared."

Tadlock can either pay the $500 or fight the charge in court. Right now, she said she plans to fight the ticket in front of a judge.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    this is a worthwhile fight, pretty damn ridiculous