Thread: ‘What Is YOUR Agenda?’ — Mike Rowe Crushes Reader For Talking Down Blue Collar Work

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Justice ‘What Is YOUR Agenda?’ — Mike Rowe Crushes Reader For Talking Down Blue Collar Work

Justin Caruso, Media Reporter - The Daily Caller

Mike Rowe responded to a reader who talked negatively about blue collar workers on Facebook this week, and he held nothing back.

Someone wrote to Rowe:

I always see these articles saying there is a shortage of construction trade workers, but everywhere I go I see hundreds of them unemployed. There is definitely no shortage of these workers, there’s just a shortage of people willing to work for sub-par poverty wages. That’s why these Mike Rowe types want to flood the labor market. Don’t believe any of that shit if you read it.

Rowe’s long response is a barn-burner, and he tore apart the reader’s negativity on construction and trade work.

“Clearly, you and I disagree. Yes – my personal experiences have informed my opinion, just as yours have. But unlike you, I’ve touched the whole elephant. I’ve been to every state multiple times, spoken directly to hundreds of employers, and put my money where my mouth is. And my conclusion is this – while the work is often demanding, and the conditions sometimes inhospitable, the opportunities in the skilled trades have never been better,” Rowe wrote. “I know hundreds of people who began by mastering a trade, and went on to prosper.”

He concludes, “Obviously, my desire to share stories of success doesn’t make me right, any more than your desire to share stories of failure makes you wrong.”

“But it does give me permission to ask – respectfully and in all seriousness – what is it you hope to accomplish by telling people that opportunity is dead? In other words, what is YOUR agenda?”

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-10-2018), Godfather (05-11-2018), KevinD (05-14-2018), Muddy (05-10-2018), Pony (05-11-2018), RBP (05-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

Id like to buy this guy a beer

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Get em, Mikey..

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    It's really amazing just how many people look down at people in the skilled trades/blue collar workforce.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (05-14-2018), lost in melb. (05-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Unfortunately there are far more degenerates in the trade world. That's most likely why it is that way.. Bank of America typically doesn't hire day laborers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    If you haven't already, "like" Mike Rowes FB page, he is always Posting rebuttals to critics, funny stories, etc. It's always a well informed and fun read.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Bank of America typically doesn't hire day laborers.
    They may not hire them but the bank cards love the common folk by dangling fast easy credit then rape them with outrageous interest rates.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

Muddy (05-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I'm obviously biased, but (looking from the other direction) I think higher education has its place. Having said that most of the students are a waste of space. Pass rates in the first couple of years are atrocious. About 50% spend most of the year smoking pot, fucking and then drop out.

How do I know? I was one of them a long time ago. Too immature. Helping my dad, who was raised on a farm, renovate houses, paint roofs and tackle floorboards was much more beneficial. I wasn't very good at it ( too tall and gangly) and I have a knack for intellectual work, so I swung back eventually. But these basic skills stayed with me.

I think all white collar workers should have a year of two of real work so they appreciate what it actually is.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

KevinD (05-14-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Of course higher education is very important for many fields. The problem lies in that the culture has become that college is the ONLY path to success, skilled work is to be made fun of and looked down upon and everyone should have the attitude "why should I learn how to change a light bulb, I will just pay someone to do it."

Reality is that some people, regardless of IQ, simply do not "fit" into the world of higher education or simply cannot afford it. Should we be teaching all kids that either it's college or McDonalds? All Mike Rowe pushes is that there are a lot of really good options and opportunities out there for many if we a a society give them a chance. Teach a skill instead of a lifetime of debt or government dependance.

There's a guy here on the island, not from the best background, was a cook at the restaurant. No one ever showed him how to "fix" anything. Probably never picked up a drill or hammer in his life.
    End of last year I needed a laborer to help me with a roof replacement and he was available and willing to give it a shot. I'd hired a number of people in the past that I ended up babysitting to the point that I would have been better off just doing it myself. Then I give this guy a chance.... He listens well, quickly adapted to any tool I'd hand him after showing him ONCE how to use it, was not afraid to try anything and even started asking questions if he could try to do something a different way (adapt).

We ended up doing the project from start to finish in 14 hours, less than half the time I'd planned. ! I gave him $5 more dollars an hour then we'd agreed upon , told him that he really shouldn't be in the kitchen cooking for a living and promised him more opportunities as I got them.

I mentioned him to a guy on the local contractors team, they talked a bit, Contractor called him this spring with a job opening and hired him on. I talked to the kid yesterday, he works hard, is learning a ton of new skills and has a huge feeling of accomplishment at the end of every day! He told me for the first time in his life he can see himself with a good future.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-11-2018), KevinD (05-14-2018), Muddy (05-14-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (05-11-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    nice story pony

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

Muddy (05-14-2018), Pony (05-12-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    There's money in the trades too. I'm an electrical eng, (night school AS degree), have never worked as an eng, always as a technician. I work half the year and make in the 6 figures. My father started as a carpenter, making concrete molds. He retired as a self employed general contractor making well over 200k. Is it hard work? yep. Hot and dirty too. I get a feeling of personal satisfaction everyday by fixing things.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-14-2018), Muddy (05-14-2018), Pony (05-14-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (05-14-2018)