#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Whine Patrons outraged over California restaurant banning 'loud' children

By Alexandra Deabler | Fox News

A restaurant in California is making waves for its firm stance on children: Those crying or making loud noises are not allowed in the dining room.

Old Fisherman’s Grotto in Monterey has been in business since 1950 and is known for its quiet dining atmosphere, owner Chris Shake says. However, to ensure that the fine-dining establishment stays that way, the Grotto posted a sign outside the restaurant.

The sign reads, “No strollers, no high chairs, no booster chairs. Children crying or making loud noises are a distraction to other diners, and as such are not allowed in the dining room.”

Though Shake points out the policy — and the sign — have been in place for years, it has recently been gaining attention because of a posting on social media.

"Whoa. I’ve never seen this before. I’m canceling my reservation at the restaurant after seeing this picture on Yelp — and I will not even have my toddler,” Angela Espinoza wrote in a Facebook group for Bay Area moms, Fox 11 reported.

On Yelp, the restaurant has pulled mixed reviews, with some criticizing the move as “discriminatory" and others praising the restaurant for its strong stance.

“No kids sign I saw is the sole reason this should be 0 [stars]. I don't care if the owners do charity and give to the community. People seem to think charity gives them an excuse to do whatever they want — it's quite two faced to be discriminatory while pretending you're actually a bedrock of the community. Wish I had noticed this sign earlier bc I never would have spent $ here,” one reviewer wrote on Yelp.

“At one point, another waitress told us people were complaining about our kids and could they be quiet. I've never been told to hush my kids before. When I made a comment to the waitress she told me there was a sign outside with rules for children... They are apparently not joking. She was not just unapologetic but incredibly rude about the whole incident," another customer wrote.

Many, however, are in favor of the bold policy.

“I support your child-free/no screaming kids policy! The irony of these self-centered parents complaining is that THEY are the reason this exists in the first place. EVERYONE is tired of having their meal ruined by a screaming kid and apathetic, inconsiderate, indignant parents who refuse to do anything about it,” one wrote on Yelp.

Another Yelp user wrote, “No strollers, no boosters, no high chairs. This is what got me to go into this restaurant! Just the thought that I would be able to have a peaceful meal with no kids yelling, sometimes it's needed. In all seriousness people need to not get so hurt by this. There was (sic) definitely kids inside the restaurant when we dined in."

Shake, who is unapologetic about the rules for children, told Fox 11 it actually helps his business and points out that it’s not anti-children.

"We have many families who dine with us with their children who are well-behaved and understand our policy with respect to other diners. What we have found on those who write negative reviews about our policy are those who have not dined here but become offended by the sign and our policy," he said.

Shake also said the sign is not discriminatory to anyone and consulted with an attorney when drafting it to ensure the language was appropriate.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-15-2018), RBP (05-15-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Who the fuck wants to listen to screaming kids while dining out?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-15-2018), RBP (05-15-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Who the fuck wants to listen to screaming kids while dining out?
    Exactly. These "free range" parents don't control their noise makers any more. It's the reason we don't go to a lot of restaurants.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Don't like the restaurants rules then teach them a lesson by eating elsewhere.. Whats the big deal?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-15-2018), perrhaps (05-16-2018), Pony (05-15-2018), RBP (05-15-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Don't like the restaurants rules then teach them a lesson by eating elsewhere.. Whats the big deal?
    You have to scream and shout about "injustices" on social media these days, those are the rules

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-15-2018), Muddy (05-15-2018), perrhaps (05-16-2018), RBP (05-15-2018)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    These are the outrages that make me want to drive over there and eat

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-17-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    My wife and I go out for dinner way too often, but I can honestly count on one hand the number of times this has been an issue. Are people in Cali that bad?

I can't fathom how having children alone makes these people so inconsiderate that they take this as a slight. What were they like before having children?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    snowflake millennials?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    My wife and I go out for dinner way too often, but I can honestly count on one hand the number of times this has been an issue. Are people in Cali that bad?

I can't fathom how having children alone makes these people so inconsiderate that they take this as a slight. What were they like before having children?
    Americans are louder

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

I haven't had many issues. None come to mind really, except a few times in the grocery store