Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Injuries reported in shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas: School district

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    so sad

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Texas shooting suspect says he avoided shooting students he liked to 'have his story told,' affidavit says
    THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO END! I know it's news and I know it needs to be reported, BUT, the media needs to stop publishing the names of these people. They need to stop putting their pictures on TV. They all feed off this bullshit and they WANT to be famous. Stop making these fucking people famous. Let them rot in prison or take the needle to the arm knowing that NOBODY will ever know who they are.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (05-19-2018), RBP (05-20-2018), redred (05-19-2018)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    Agree same with IS stuff as well don't give them the air time

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I was gonna post something....... but ive been drinking

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO END! I know it's news and I know it needs to be reported, BUT, the media needs to stop publishing the names of these people. They need to stop putting their pictures on TV. They all feed off this bullshit and they WANT to be famous. Stop making these fucking people famous. Let them rot in prison or take the needle to the arm knowing that NOBODY will ever know who they are.
    Couldn't agree more. Everyone still remembers the names Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, their faces are still everywhere, they did get hugely famous. We fucked up, but nobody has learned from it...

We all believe in freedom of the press so it's not on the government to tell these outlets what to do, I don't think. There needs to be a movement from the people imploring news outlets not to celebrate the killers, no more documentaries about them or 60 Minutes pieces about their lives. Show them in their orange jump suits at their arraignment, and again at their execution.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-20-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I agree with Lance but here's an addition idea: Charge the parents of the shooter. The kid was 17. The guns belonged to his father. How did the kid get a hold of them? There was clearly something wrong the kid and nobody was doing anything about it. Nobody was paying attention. It's a parent's responsibility to know where their kid's at, who they're hanging with, what they're getting up to, how they're feeling, constantly for at least the first 18 years of that kid's life. To let the kid get this far, it's obvious that the parents didn't give a shit, didn't engage the kid the way they should have. I don't know if this kid was getting bullied at school. By all accounts he was a big football player, so I doubt anybody was really bullying him, unless it was the coaches or teachers doing the bullying. But the underlying problem seems to be the same story as the Parkland shooting and Columbine: Nobody gave a shit. Nobody paid attention. People knew something was wrong but nobody did anything about it. With Parkland, the whole community should be indicted. Even the kids. They bullied the shooter his entire life. The whole fucking community is responsible for that mess. Fuck them. Charge them all.

So start by charging the parents. They're supposed to give a shit. They're supposed to mold their kids' lives. They're the front lines. They failed in this case, and in Parkland, and in Columbine. Take the kid's gloves off. Charge the parents.

It's sad that I think that there should be a law that explicitly says that if you're a legal guardian of a child, then you have a legal responsibility to give a shit about your kid's development, about their life. It's seriously sad that I feel this way. But I do. If you got a kid and that kid gets in trouble, then fuck you, you too get charged with the crime that the kid committed.

I guarantee that if a law like this was passed and enforced, the school shootings would stop, and gang-related crimes would probably drop in time as well.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-20-2018)

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    i like the idea , what would happen in terms of the kid breaking into a locked gun safe , past mass shooting like this seem to suggest they take their parents guns but don't mention how secure the guns were if you know what i mean

also even if you talk to your kid and think you know everything about them you may still not , they might be good at hiding stuff

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    i like the idea , what would happen in terms of the kid breaking into a locked gun safe , past mass shooting like this seem to suggest they take their parents guns but don't mention how secure the guns were if you know what i mean

also even if you talk to your kid and think you know everything about them you may still not , they might be good at hiding stuff
    I agree, there would need to be an onus on the prosecution to prove the parents ignored warning signs and/or handled firearms irresponsibly I think, but if they could I'm with DGX that they should be held criminally responsible too.

The last Florida shooting was an interesting one. I believe the boy's mother had died so he stopped going to therapy, and people in the system knew the kid had all the warning signs, but weren't empowered to do anything about it. I know that saying the mental health system is criminally underpowered and underfunded is obvious at this point, but people get so wrapped up in debating gun laws that this point gets ignored too.