Thread: Famous chef accused of drugging, assaulting employee in ‘rape room’

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Rape Culture Famous chef accused of drugging, assaulting employee in ‘rape room’

By Frank Miles | Fox News

Mario Batali, one of the most famous chefs in the world, was accused of a string of disturbing crimes by a woman who used to work for him — crimes including drugging and sexually assaulting her inside a New York City restaurant, in a third-floor space notoriously known by employees as the “rape room.”

WARNING: DISTURBING DETAILS BELOW

The woman told CBS News' “60 Minutes” on Sunday that she woke up surrounded by broken bottles with scratches on her legs and semen on her skirt.

“It gets completely foggy for me. And this is — part of the messy, scary part for me, there is a part where it — it all disappears,” said the woman, who asked CBS to remain anonymous. “I remember a moment where I was on his lap, kissing him. Like, he was kissing me. And then I remember throwing up — in a toilet. And that is all.”

As The New York Post reported, she said she recalled waking up at dawn on the third floor of the downtown restaurant, The Spotted Pig, owned by Ken Friedman, a friend of Batali's.

The woman said: “I woke up by myself on the floor, I don’t know where I am, of an empty room, wooden floor. I see broken bottles. The first thing I think is, ‘I’ve been drugged.’ That was the first thing I thought is, ‘I’ve been — I’ve been assaulted.’”

She said that after the alleged assault she called a crisis hotline, went to a hospital for examination, and reported the episode to the New York Police Department. “They tried getting me to file a report. They tried, they tried. But I — you know, a young actress, no resources, no money. I couldn’t. I couldn’t do it.”

In a statement to Fox News on Sunday night, the restaurant firm B&B Hospitality Group said: “The accounts tonight were chilling and deeply disturbing. This was the first we learned of them. Our partnership with Mr. Batali is ending.”

It added: “He has been our partner and close friend, but the actions he has acknowledged required us to separate wholly so that we reinforce our core values for our employees and our guests.”

The Spotted Pig did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

Batali has been accused of sexual harassment by nine women.

Several women who worked for Batali accused the former “Chew” host of “inappropriate touching in a pattern of behavior that spans at least two decades,” Eater reported in December. The chef apologized in a statement, saying “the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted.”

“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses,” he wrote.

Fans, however, lambasted Batali, who owns 26 restaurants, for including a recipe in the newsletter with his apology.

Batali since has been dropped from ABC’s “The Chew” and stepped away from the day-to-day operations of his restaurant businesses.

His bsuiness owners added Sunday: “We had taken a number of steps in the last six months to separate Mr. Batali from the business, including immediately removing him from any operations this past December and asking Ms. (Nancy) Silverton and Ms. (Lidia) Bastianich to take on business-wide leadership roles and responsibilities.”

In a report published last winter in The New York Times, 10 women accused Friedman of sexual harassment and misconduct and creating a toxic work environment. He went on leave and apologized, telling the paper that his behavior “can accurately be described at times as abrasive, rude and frankly wrong.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Well, what else are you supposed to do in a rape room?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's a good question

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    wish I had enough space for one

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't think they need to be very big

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    thats what an ex said to try and make me feel better about myself

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i don't think anyone would willingly fuck that hutt though either, regardless of how good the food was

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

Muddy (05-22-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Maybe this is completely unfair to say, give me shit if it is, but having worked in the kitchen world for a few summers in college I'm almost not surprised. I met the scummiest, biggest dirt bags of my life in restaurants. It's like a dumping ground for people who failed their first life miserably and fell into it. Completely reversed my brief childhood dream of being a chef. This guy admitted it too so there's really no doubt is there. Fuck him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    yep, not at all surprising. working in a restaurant when you are kid/college age is one thing. as an adult, those people are fucked up typically