Thread: Mike Rowe: 'Safe space movement' is harming our culture: 'Let's just wrap ourselves in bubble pack'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Obvious Mike Rowe: 'Safe space movement' is harming our culture: 'Let's just wrap ourselves in bubble pack'

By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times

Mike Rowe of “Dirty Jobs” fame says it’s difficult to award work-ethic scholarships through his mikeroweWORKS Foundation due to America’s “safe space movement.”

The host of Facebook’s “Returning the Favor” told Fox News’ Tucker Carlson on Thursday evening that each year it gets harder for him to essentially give out “free money” to Americans who need jobs training. His organization, which aims to close a professional skills gap, requires participants to write essays and sign a “sweat pledge.”

“Every year it gets increasingly difficult to affirmatively reward work ethic,” Mr. Rowe said. “When people are often confronted with these hoops through which I ask them to leap, they take what you call umbrage at that. I find it fascinating. … I think that probably does have something to do with the expectations that have evolved out of the safe space movement which you’ve done a lot to talk about on your program. I think you can probably make a pretty interesting case that there’s a fissure running through the expectation of what happens when we elevate safety and feelings to a level of primacy.”

The celebrity’s organization has given out $5 million over the last five years.

America’s favorite “everyman” and Mr. Carlson also discussed Starbucks’ recent decision to let anyone — even those who have no intention of buying food or drinks — to use its restrooms, and the case of a 30-year-old man’s legal battle to stay in his parents’ house.

“I’m starting to think that maybe there is a link between expectations a patron might have in a Starbucks vis-a-vis the expectations a squatter, who just happens to be genetically tied to you might have vis-a-vis the basement in which he currently dwells,” Mr. Rowe said.

The former “Somebody’s Gotta Do It” host went on to say that an obsession over safety has the practical effect of “magnifying a virtue to a place it doesn’t deserve to occupy.”

“Safety is not the enemy, but if you make it the priority then let’s just wrap ourselves in bubble pack and drive at speeds approaching five miles an hour and never assume anything that could ever be confused with risk,” he said.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-27-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    “Safety is not the enemy, but if you make it the priority then let’s just wrap ourselves in bubble pack and drive at speeds approaching five miles an hour and never assume anything that could ever be confused with risk,” he said.
    Mike, please stop being so reasonable and embrace victim culture okay

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (05-29-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Mike Rowe
    May 25 at 3:46pm ·
    Facebook Creator
    ·

Off the Wall

Seems I broke a few eggs on Tucker last night. Lots of love notes like this one, from John Ray...

Mike, seriously, Dude, if you want to appear "impartial", you don't go on Tucker Carlson. Or, Hannity! Or any other seriously right, or left, wing show.

I totally get that you think they are "furthering your cause", but they're not.

All you are doing is pissing off people who would otherwise love you. I've been with you from the beginning, but this "cozying up to the right wing" stuff is getting increasingly hard to take. And that includes the Koch boys.

Please, go back to being "just Mike", so *everyone* can support you.

*PLEASE*

Hi John,

How can I resist a devoted a fan who says “please?” In caps no less!

Let’s start with this - where exactly did you get the impression that I want to appear “impartial?” Reasonable, sure. I am most assuredly guilty of trying to appear reasonable. But impartial? No way. I'm partial to people who are willing to work hard and master a skill that's in demand. That's why my foundation focuses solely on those people. I am, in every way, transparently partial to them.

Surely, as a guy who has “been with me from the beginning,” you must know this. You must also know that I’ve appeared on dozens of wildly divergent shows on every available outlet, and always try to stay in my lane. In other words, I limit my screeds and rants to work-related topics that are relevant to the foundation I run. I do not however, limit myself to one side of the aisle or the other. And really, why would I?

Last night’s appearance on Tucker Carlson flooded my website with scholarship applications. On this page alone, the clip has been shared over 16,000 times, and viewed by over 2 million people in just 14 hours. How does this fail to “further my cause?” Moreover, what is the actual downside? The loss of a few thousand fair weather fans? Give me a break. I’ve raised over $5 million dollars for scholarships by discussing my foundation in this fashion, with a variety of people of all political persuasions. Do you really suppose I’m going to stop doing that because you don't like to see me in such close proximity to someone on your “naughty” list?

Look, I get that you don’t like Fox, or Tucker, or Hannity, or Charles Koch. I’ve visited your page, and I can understand why you can only take so much of my “cozying up to the right.” What I don’t understand, is your sanctimony. Where were your words of encouragement when I appeared on MSNBC, Meet the Press, NPR, GMA, The Today Show, or Real Time with Bill Maher? Where were your positive comments when I had a weekly show on CNN for the better part of two years? When I appear on liberal platforms, as I often do, why do you never thank me for “cozying up to the Left?”

I welcome your criticism John, sincerely, as well as your advice, but please, spare me the whole, “I’ve been with you from the beginning” routine. If your contempt for Tucker exceeds your fondness for me, then you’re no friend of mine; you’re simply an enemy of Tucker’s. And if you can’t see the difference, then your liberal arrogance is no different from the conservative hubris of my many right wing pals who came here to tell me - even though they "loved" me - that they might have to unlike my page because I popped up on a channel they despise. Like yours, their threats are those of a kidnapper, trying to ransom an item of no value.

Finally, your assumptions are rooted in a fundamental misperception. This person you call, “Just Mike,” – the person you want me to “get back to being,” - is the same person I’ve always been. I haven’t done anything in public that I wasn’t doing ten years ago. I’m still out there, promoting my projects, running a modest foundation, writing silly stories about my schizophrenic dog, and trying to encourage people to learn a skill that’s in demand. Toward that end, I’ll continue to cozy up to whomever I please, even as I invite you to stick around.

And yes, John, there’s still time for you to apply for a work ethic scholarship. But not much…
    mikeroweworks.org/scholarship

Thanks,
    Mike

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-27-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (05-29-2018)