Thread: Diner with food intolerance slams restaurant after staff wrote ‘haha’ on bill

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Whine Diner with food intolerance slams restaurant after staff wrote ‘haha’ on bill

By John Shammas - The Sun

A DINER with food intolerances was left furious when workers at a Mexican restaurant wrote “haha” next to her list of dietary requirements on her bill.

Food blogger Billie Geena opted for a fillet seabass from the menu and requested the £9.95 dish contained no onions, garlic or milk.

However when the bill came at Amigos Mexican Kitchen in Sheffield, South Yorks, the 22-year-old was shocked to see it read “no onion no garlic no milk haha”.

Billie, who suffers from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), has to follow a strict diet to prevent stomach ache and severe cramping.

“The food was lovely and the service had been excellent that evening until I got the receipt,” said Billie, of Sheffield, South Yorks.

“I’ve only been on this stricter diet for less than a year and it’s been difficult adjusting. I suffer really bad with IBS and about a year ago I had to follow a Low Fodmap diet to find out what causes my flare up’s to be worse.

“I found that onions, garlic, milk and all sorts of different foods that are triggers for me to be ill.

“What happened brought back all the anxiety I’d had about going out for meals, and it’s really not on.

“The restaurant has apologised but I want to raise awareness of just how upsetting this sort of thing can be for people.”

Billie says the experience at the restaurant when she visited with a pal on May 10 this year left her with a sour taste against people who dietary requirements.

She says the waitress apologised and explained that the message had been intended as a private joke to the chef about the long list and she had not expected it to appear on the bill.

The restaurant manager has also apologised for any offence caused and told how he gave the employee responsible a verbal warning following the incident.

Billie said she bore no ill-feeling towards the restaurant but wanted to highlight how distressing episodes like this can be for people with food allergies or intolerances, who are often already self-conscious about their conditions.

She believes better training is needed at restaurants and cafes to ensure people like her are made to feel comfortable wherever they choose to eat out.

The Mexican eatery was last year crowned the best Mexican restaurant in the north at the annual Food Awards England.

Restaurant boss Khalid Wani said: “I apologised personally and spoke to the member of staff, who was given a verbal warning.

“Nobody should make fun of people with food allergies or intolerances.

“I’m satisfied it was not the waitress’s intention to make fun of the customer but regardless of her intention this should never have appeared on the bill.

“We always try to give our customers as good an experience as possible and fulfil all their needs, and I’m very sorry about what happened on this occasion.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    And this is news because? It looked like they resolved it to me.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Because she had to make it news.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Well, I hope she understands that everyone in the UK food industry is gonna know who she is. Actions have consequences.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I was already against her when she was described as a "food blogger"

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts