#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Battlefield Subreddit Bans 'Historical Accuracy' Posts

By Michael Kan - PC Magazine

Battlefield V's addition of female World War II soldiers has sparked so much arguing in the gaming community that a Reddit page is banning discussion on the topic.

"No more bitching about historical accuracy," the moderators for the Battlefield subreddit wrote on Thursday. "It's a game, not a history book."

The culture war over the upcoming World War II shooter started last month when the first trailer for the game dropped; it prominently features a woman soldier, fitted with a prosthetic arm, fighting alongside her squad mates against an advancing army. Some gamers were outraged; negative comments flooded YouTube and Reddit with claims that Battlefield V was sacrificing historical accuracy for political correctness.

"The game you are creating is a joke. I call on all of you, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME," wrote one Reddit user who claimed to be a World War II historian only to be outed as a fake.

The Battlefield subreddit moderators say they're sick of the controversy; they've been cracking down on any posts talking about the inclusion of women in the game.

"We get that y'all have valid criticism about Battlefield V and the customization options within the game," they wrote on Thursday. "Sadly, this subreddit has proven to be unable to have a civil discussion about these things without devolving into name calling and slapfights."

The moderators instituted the new rule as game's publisher, Electronic Arts, defends the inclusion of women soldiers. "The common perception is that there were no women in World War II. There were a ton of women who both fought in World War II and partook in the war," EA's chief creative officer Patrick Soderlund told Gamasutra this week.

The decision to feature women in Battlefield V also comes as the gaming industry attempts to address feminism, diversity, and politics in their products. EA Dice's goal is to create a game that is inclusive to all.

But in that same interview, Soderlund took a shot at the game's critics. "These are people who are uneducated —they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario."

The moderators on Battlefield's Reddit page say they're not affiliated with EA. But as a concession, they opened one dedicated forum thread to let critics talk about the game's historical accuracy.

Nevertheless, gamers on Reddit are likening the crackdown to censorship. "Telling an entire subreddit community with 120K+ users that nobody is permitted to discuss a topic and state their opinions is wrong," wrote one user.

Battlefield V will be released on Oct. 19 for the PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (06-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Women were in WW2 in official military roles, but none of those roles were fighting in armed conflict. Mostly military nursing and office work positions. Typical female roles at the time.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Women were in WW2 in official military roles, but none of those roles were fighting in armed conflict. Mostly military nursing and office work positions. Typical female roles at the time.
    It's not just that... look at this shit. It looks more like Far Cry or some cyberpunk sci-fi game than a WWII shooter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Don't forget snipers.
    https://mashable.com/2016/07/30/sovi.../#0oc6Mv1q6aqS

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting Lance, this has pissed me off a lot recently

This once fantastic game series has taken such a huge shit thanks to EA. The historical side drive me bonkers, and the team at EA's reaction is even worse when falls call them out, saying the community is wrong and doesn't know anything about history...

That aside, the game has gone all cartoony, too fast past and non-tactical. Battlefield Bad Company was intentionally silly and it was super fun, but the main series used to be a game about working together with your squad. Now it's just run, gun, die, repeat. I'm over it. Battlefield 1 was probably the last one I'll buy anywhere near full price.
    Last edited by Godfather; 06-19-2018 at 02:58 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i think ea is trying hard to kill all the franchises, they almost murdered star wars battlefront

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i think ea is trying hard to kill all the franchises, they almost murdered star wars battlefront
    EA has killed so many studios I loved... Westwood Studios, Maxis, Pandemic... it's really sad and frustrating. I generally boycott them now with the exception of NHL.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Im a Battlefield "veteran", love the games, and i have been following this on reddit. When the trailer first dropped everyone went mental, not because the female was pretty much the main character but because she had a prosphetic arm. How many females with prosphetic arms fought on the frontlines in WW2? Yeah..... zilch, and this was after DICE proclaiming it would be "the most immersive WW2 Battlefield experience"

So everyone complained, the trailer got downvoted to shit on youtube, and then the DICE devs started calling the community sexist etc

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    The mods at Reddit can be real assholes sometimes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Post Scriptum is coming out soon, it looks WAY better. None of this censorship shit either (except in regions where required by law)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Post Scriptum is coming out soon, it looks WAY better. None of this censorship shit either (except in regions where required by law)
    Have you seen the trailer for World War 3? PC only, looks fuckin awesome! Got a Battlefield vibe to it, 64 player matches too!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-20-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Have you seen the trailer for World War 3? PC only, looks fuckin awesome! Got a Battlefield vibe to it, 64 player matches too!

Cool, just watched the trailer! Looks like it could be excellent. I'll need a new PC soon

For me a decent game has to find a way to keep strategy and team play alive without being too onerous. COD and BF have both totally lost that for me. It's just chaos of kids running around, sniping, dying pointlessly off the objective and calling each other n*ggers.

On the other end of the spectrum, a game like Squad or ARMA have steep learning curves and lose the basic fun of FPS'. Personally I loved the earlier Battlefield games and Bad Company series the best. I just want something somewhere in the middle of team-based play, realism but still fun and satisfying.
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-20-2018 at 02:32 AM.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Military simulation games peaked with Atari's Combat and everything since then has been a step backwards

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-21-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Cool, just watched the trailer! Looks like it could be excellent. I'll need a new PC soon

For me a decent game has to find a way to keep strategy and team play alive without being too onerous. COD and BF have both totally lost that for me. It's just chaos of kids running around, sniping, dying pointlessly off the objective and calling each other n*ggers.

On the other end of the spectrum, a game like Squad or ARMA have steep learning curves and lose the basic fun of FPS'. Personally I loved the earlier Battlefield games and Bad Company series the best. I just want something somewhere in the middle of team-based play, realism but still fun and satisfying.
    Yeah, thats probably why i enjoy PUBG so much. Hardly ever play solos, usually duos with an Irish mate or squads with him, his brother and an English dude. As you know, you need good teamwork to win on that, running off by yourself tends to end up with a swift trip back to the lobby

Had 3 wins in a row on tuesday night for the first time, 2 in duos then 1 in 3-man squads Not bad for an old bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Military simulation games peaked with Atari's Combat and everything since then has been a step backwards

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i still play combat with my kids on the 2600