#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Whine LGBTQ actresses slam Scarlett Johansson’s trans role

By Meredith Woerner, Variety

Scarlett Johansson is under fire for her next project with “Ghost in the Shell” director Rupert Sanders.

The actress is set to star in the crime biopic “Rub & Tug,” based on the real life story of Dante “Tex” Gill. Gill was a trans crime boss of the 1970s who ran several illegal massage parlors. In real life, Gill lived his life as a trans man, which led a lot of folks to inquire why a trans actor wasn’t considered for this role.

When the website Bustle reached out to Johansson’s representative for a statement about the vocal concerns, it was sent this response from the actress: “Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto, and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment.”

Trace Lysette, best known for her work on “Transparent,” took to Twitter to voice her anger. “I wouldn’t be as upset if I was getting in the same rooms as Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett for cis roles,” she wrote. “But we know that’s not the case. A mess.”

Actress Jamie Clayton from “Sense8” and “The Neon Demon” also wrote about her disappointment, stating, “Actors who are trans never even get to audition FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN ROLES OF TRANS CHARACTERS.” She then challenged casting directors to hire more trans actors in non trans roles with a dare.

There’s also confusion swirling around the concept of “Rub & Tug,” which when announced, did not make it clear that “Tex” identified as a man. The problem has only compounded.

Variety has reached out to Johansson’s reps for comment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Typical white cishet male response

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Typical rational human response

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Actually, ive changed my mind, i now agree, it shouldve been a CIS actress (whatever the fuck that is) that got the part. Id also like to see a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street with a real life child murdering psychopath playing the lead role

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-05-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I know some good movie roles that trans actors can get

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-17-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 07-05-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Let's see, I need to cast my movie now....do I want to cast the leading role to someone that nobody has ever heard of before or should I go with someone who is immensely famous and has a huge name in Hollywood?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-05-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You really can't go wrong with Scarlett Johansson. Cast her.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    But that wouldn't be a politically correct route to go, we need to practice inclusivism and social justice

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No really, forget all that shit. Cast Scarlett Johansson. She's a money maker.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

SJW Scarlett Johansson’s Backed Out of Playing a Transgender Man, Thankfully

By Cameron Andersen, New York University - StudyBreak.com

Is Scarlett Johansson aware that she is a cis, straight, white woman? Maybe not.

Johansson initially faced harsh criticism last year after starring in “Ghost in the Shell,” a film based on a Japanese manga series. She was cast as the main character, Major Motoko Kusanagi, and critics rightfully claimed that the decision whitewashed the Japanese franchise.

More recently, Johansson took on the lead role in “Rub & Tug,” an upcoming New Regency biopic based on the life of Dante “Tex” Gill, a massage parlor boss. Gill was a transgender man; however, instead of casting a transgender actor for the part, the film’s team chose Johansson. Let me repeat: Johansson is a cis, straight, white woman being cast in roles not meant for her.

Backlash against her casting was harsh and warranted.

Twitter user and comedian @faithchoyce gave a voice to the collective opinion of many, tweeting “Scarlett Johansson is playing a trans man in her next movie because her ultimate career goal is to take an acting job from a member of each and every marginalized group.”

Transgender actresses Jamie Clayton and Trace Lysette launched their own — extremely personal — tirades against Johansson.

“Actors who are trans never even get to audition FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN ROLES OF TRANS CHARACTERS. THATS THE REAL ISSUE. WE CANT EVEN GET IN THE ROOM. Cast actors WHO ARE TRANS as NON TRANS CHARACTERS. I DARE YOU.”

“Oh word?? So you can continue to play us but we can’t play y’all? Hollywood is so f—–… I wouldn’t be as upset if I was getting in the same rooms as Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett for cis roles, but we know that’s not the case. A mess.”

Johansson’s original response to the criticism was that a cis, straight actor playing a transgender character was not unprecedented. “Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto, and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment,” Johansson argued via her publicist.

However, it seems that the actress has since changed her tune. Johansson resigned from the film and has since issued a statement to Out. “I have great admiration and love for the trans community and am grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues.

“While I would have loved the opportunity to bring Dante’s story and transition to life,” she said, “I understand why many feel he should be portrayed by a transgender person, and I am thankful that this casting debate, albeit controversial, has sparked a larger conversation about diversity and representation in film.”

It is unclear whether Johansson resigning from the project will halt filming altogether, but, if not, Hollywood should consider some actual transgender actors for the part of a transgender man.

Why not Elliot Foster, who has appeared in “The Fosters” and “Shameless”? Or Ellie Desautels, a nonbinary actor from NBC’s “Rise”? Or Ian Harvie, a comedian who appeared on “Transparent” and “Mistresses”? Casting choices are varied and numerous; what matters is that trans actors are not sidelined and railroaded.

The next time a film in production needs to cast a character, regardless of whether they are a member of the LGBTQ community or a person of color, the casting team would be wise to pick from the brilliant array of talent available to them instead of hiring someone unfit for the role.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Fuckin nutjobs

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Fuckin nutjobs
    What, you don't think tanking the movie with a no-name person of acting versus a mega star won't help the community? Silliness.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-18-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (07-17-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (07-17-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks