#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Weird Parents are throwing their daughters period parties

By Lucy Devine, The Sun

Wave goodbye to the stigma, because parents are now throwing “period parties” for their teenage daughters.

And party favors include packs of tampons, sanitary towels and uterus-shaped cakes.

Period parties focus on educating young girls about menstruation and teaching them the lessons they may not receive in sex education classes at school.

It’s intended to be an open space, where girls can discuss starting their period, ask questions and debunk any myths they may have heard from friends (like the age-old “can you get pregnant while on your period?”)

It’s not just about education, though.

Many young girls often feel apprehensive about starting their period. For parents, period parties are about making the occasion something to celebrate, rather than fear.

[IGM]p/BkFtHpinm78[/IGM]

Last year, 12-year-old Brooke Lee from Florida made headlines after her mom, Shelly, threw her a period party.

Lee was given a chocolate cake decorated with red icing, as well as a pizza, pads and tampons.

Shelly revealed she organized the event after Lee confessed she was “worried” about starting her period. “I wanted to make this event a little more fun,” she told BuzzFeed.

Later, Lee’s 17-year-old cousin Autumn Jenkins shared images of the event on Twitter, captioned: “Brooke started her period today & my family is super extra.”

Lee isn’t the only one celebrating the milestone.

In her book, “Perfect is Boring,” supermodel Tyra Banks reveals her mom threw her a period party when she was 15.

Tyra’s mom, Carolyn London, described it as a celebration “of womanhood and an acknowledgment of passing into another realm.”

“Most of [the girls there] had never talked about their periods so openly before and in between the ‘yucks’ and giggles, they asked questions about everything from whether using tampons takes away your virginity to wanting to know if other people can tell when you’re on your period,” London wrote in the co-authored chapter.

[IGM]p/393x95Fc3L[/IGM]

“I appreciate that [my mother] never wanted me to be ashamed of anything, or to think that there was something bad or dirty about my body,” revealed Tyra.

Now, period parties are becoming more common.

Last year, charities Bloody Good Period and The Cup Effect teamed up to host a huge period party.

“Over the course of an evening, we’ll cover all you need to know about cups, fannies and periods in a small group of awesome, like-minded babes,” said the groups.

The ticket cost ($39) covered the cost of a menstrual cup for one asylum seeker or refugee woman (including a fitting instruction session).

[IGM]p/BfllByJADk9[/IGM]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    This is weird. Period.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Pony (07-19-2018)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    This is weird. Period.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-18-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    This shit is weird.

What's sex ed class like these days I wonder?