Thread: Virginia restaurant called out for ridiculing 17-year-old on Facebook for paying bill with coins

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Fail Virginia restaurant called out for ridiculing 17-year-old on Facebook for paying bill with coins

By LEO MAYORGA - ABC News

When Cohen Naulty decided to treat his friends to a meal at Beer 88 in Lynchburg, Virginia, with tips he earned as a server at Country Kitchen, he never imagined he would be the subject of ridicule by the restaurant on social media.

The 17-year-old paid for his $45 restaurant bill with mostly coins, a $20 dollar bill and left a $10 tip.

“It’s just U.S. currency," Naulty told ABC News affiliate WSET in Lynchburg. "I’m allowed to use it. It’s not Illegal. I’m not doing anything wrong.”

Beer 88 posted a picture of the coins on Facebook, it has since been deleted, with the following caption: "We’ll just caption this... How not to pay at a restaurant. Cause that’s the nicest thing we can think to say about this ridiculousness."

One of Naulty’s friends, who remained unidentified, couldn’t believe the restaurant posted their payment on the social media site.

“We couldn’t believe they posted it on Facebook," he told WSET.

After some backlash, Beer 88 posted a rebuttal on Facebook calling the whole incident a joke.

“In response to our earlier post, it was posted as a joke, intended as a joke and should be taken as a joke," Beer 88 wrote on its Facebook page. "It was posted as a light-hearted way of saying that something like this can be annoying to people that work in the restaurant/retail industry. In no way did we publicly shame ANYONE for paying OR tipping. We try to keep our page funny and relatable. And had no idea that this would be offensive to anyone.”

But Naulty and his friends were not amused, especially about the hashtag that was attached to Beer 88's initial Facebook post.

“They said we didn’t have any home training," said another one of Naulty’s friends. "That was dirty. That was one their hashtags was #nohometraining."

Kim Naulty, Cohen Naulty’s mother, can’t understand why anyone would say anything negative about her son.

“If anybody met Cohen, they know it couldn’t be farthest things from the truth," Kim Naulty told WSET. "And, you know, he’s a good kid.”

Beer 88 owner Yao Liu, who has been receiving several threats, said that she apologizes for the post.

“On that part, yes, I do apologize," Liu told WSET. "Because, you know, I didn’t see it.”

The restaurant's social media page has received a lot of comments from people saying the post may have been in poor taste.

However, some patrons think the whole incident may have been taken out of proportion.

“People kind of hopped on the hate train," Beer 88 supporter Carol Henning told KSET, "which seems to be happening these days."

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Fuck Beer 88.. Bunch of corksuckers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Legal tender is legal tender. Be happy you're getting paid business at all, douchebags.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-21-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Why does everyone think everything needs to be posted to social media of some kind? And bullshit that they meant it in a 'lighthearted' way. They were trying to shame that kid and his friends. And that kid works in the same fucking industry smh.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (07-19-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Social media = The downfall of society.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

And here's the pic from the since deleted FB post. Looks like it was mostly quarters anyway, it's not like the kid was paying with hundreds of pennies or something. What an asshole move by the restaurant.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-21-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's annoying, but not worth a public shaming.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i hope this business closes due to their douchebaggery

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Why does everyone think everything needs to be posted to social media of some kind? And bullshit that they meant it in a 'lighthearted' way. They were trying to shame that kid and his friends. And that kid works in the same fucking industry smh.
    Shame them? Maybe. But they did it anonymously, No one but the kids knew that was a pic of THEIR coins until they jumped into the spotlight. The restaurant did not post their faces or names, correct?
    Also, that kid being a server should KNOW how annoying it is when someone pays the bill with coins. I'd bet they were laughing the whole time they were paying, then got "offended" when they got called out on it.
    I'd bet now that this kid is in the spotlight he will have multiple people come to his job and pay in pennies, maybe he will learn a lesson in proper etiquette that way.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Shame them? Maybe. But they did it anonymously, No one but the kids knew that was a pic of THEIR coins until they jumped into the spotlight. The restaurant did not post their faces or names, correct?
    Also, that kid being a server should KNOW how annoying it is when someone pays the bill with coins. I'd bet they were laughing the whole time they were paying, then got "offended" when they got called out on it.
    I'd bet now that this kid is in the spotlight he will have multiple people come to his job and pay in pennies, maybe he will learn a lesson in proper etiquette that way.
    A) If the kids were trying to prank or screw with the place, they wouldn't have left a $10 tip on a $45 tab, which is 22% and more than a lot of adults can be bothered to tip, and these were 17 year old kids. And B) when the restaurant posts a bullshit post like that and uses an asinine hashtag like #nohometraining I would have been pissed too if it had been me and I would have said something. If it was "all in jest" then the restaurant should have the spine to leave the post up, but no, they deleted it just like everyone always does, nobody stands behind what they say and always beg for forgiveness.

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    what kind of twat goes to a restaurant with a pocket full of coins?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

A hungry one?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (07-21-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Holy shit look at their yelp page now People around the world really enjoy taking time out of their day to join an online pitchforkin'

I hate their post and attitude, and fully support these good kids, but social media backlash never ceases to amaze me... just wow

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Pony (07-22-2018)