#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Anarchy Parisians angry at 'bad taste' open urinals on the street

DAVID CHAZAN - Stuff Magazine

The stench of urine in the streets has long been one of the annoyances of life in hr French city of Paris, but new urinals that expose users to public view have shocked many residents.

The French often joke about being less "prudish" than Britons, but even permissive Parisians have taken exception to open urinals installed on pavements with nothing to screen users from passers-by.

One model, in letterbox red, topped by a flower-box and installed on the ultra-chic Īle Saint-Louis, one of the city's most select quarters, has caused particular indignation.

The island in the Seine, normally a haven of relative calm in the heart of Paris, has become an unlikely hotbed of protest.

Residents and shopkeepers have written to the mayor demanding the urinal's immediate removal and say they are about to launch a petition.

Paola, a local shopkeeper, said: "I'm ashamed, you understand. Planting a plastic urinal like that beneath the windows of the Lauzun mansion, one of the most beautiful on the island, where [the poet] Baudelaire lived, it's such bad taste. Paris is making itself ridiculous."

Paola acknowledged that residents had long been urging the authorities to install urinals because young people who spend the long summer evenings on the banks of the Seine had taken to urinating in the streets. "But this model, 20 metres from a primary school, is not suitable at all."

Wouter, 43, a visitor from Amsterdam, said he had used the facility, but felt uncomfortable. "Public toilets are usually more hidden. At first I thought it was a modern art installation because of the flower box on top."

The urinal is "environmentally friendly", according to its manufacturer, the Faltazi design agency, because it "stores urine in a bed of dry material, straw, which is then used as compost for the flowers".

The straw reduces odour and eliminates the need for the urinal to be connected to the sewer. Four minimalist urinals installed in Paris in the past six months have drawn similar reactions from the public. A fifth is planned next week.

The mayor's office said they are "a response to the needs of shopkeepers and residents".

Victor Massip, the inventor of the model installed on the Īle Saint-Louis, said: "People urinating on the streets of France is a serious problem and we knew there was a demand for a solution, so we've come up with one."

He has named it the "uritrottoir", combining the French words for "urinate" and "pavement".

Bill Wilson, 50, a visitor from Leicester, said: "I think this wouldn't be allowed in the UK. Only in France!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-13-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Wow... Im not sure I could pull off that show..

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    Got these on Friday and Saturday nights in the bar areas of Bristol, I've used them

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    Got these on Friday and Saturday nights in the bar areas of Bristol, I've used them
    Good idea tbh, wouldnt be the first time ive taken a piss in a shop doorway

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    Ya in the town where I went to college these showed up magically at 1am around the pubs downtown. Pretty clever really, and I'm sure the company that was servicing them could charge a good amount too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    i have used the ones in the netherlands several times