Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nike Ad Featuring Colin Kaepernick Sparks Scorn and Mockery on Twitter

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,082 Times in 59,901 Posts

Justice Colorado Springs store clearing out Nike products in protest of Kaepernick campaign

by Eric Ruble - FOX 31 Denver

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The management of a Colorado Springs sporting goods store has decided to stop selling Nike merchandise after the company featured Colin Kaepernick in a new marketing campaign, KRDO reports.

Prime Time Sports in the Chapel Hills Mall has a sign that reads: “Still choosing to stand / All Nike 1/2 price / “Just doing it.”

The Nike campaign has produced an enormous amount of debate on social media. One ad image features the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback’s face with the text: “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

Kaepernick was the first NFL player to not stand during the national anthem at the beginning of the 2016-17 season. He did so to protest police brutality and racial inequality. His actions sparked a national conversation about the importance of the anthem and First Amendment rights.

Stephen Martin, the owner of Prime Time Sports, said he knows he is jeopardizing his business, as a large part of his inventory is Nike NFL jerseys, according to KRDO. Martin told the news station that he called Nike “the mother of all harlots” for the campaign and criticized their use of the term “sacrificed everything.”

“According to me, he has sacrificed a salary,” Martin posted in a note in the store’s window, KRDO reported. The note was surrounded by images of fallen service members. “Nothing compared to what every soul on our ‘Honor the Flag’ memorial wall that was built a few years ago has suffered and died for.”

The Colorado Springs station said Martin’s sale began Tuesday in an effort to clear out all existing Nike inventory.

Kaepernick is suing the NFL, saying its owners conspired to keep him out of the league because of his protests that spread to teams nationwide.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,889 Times in 11,964 Posts

I could use a new pair of Reeboks.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Unless the PR is so bad that the company can't recover
    Yeah, like when the PR is about being un-loyal to your country..

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Ok, can someone explain in a sentence or two the Colin Kaepernick thing. I thought I understood, but I don't think I do

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    I need new running shoes... I'm going to support this company by buying a pair of its shoes

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Ok, can someone explain in a sentence or two the Colin Kaepernick thing. I thought I understood, but I don't think I do
    Long story short, Colin Kaepernick started the national anthem protests by black sports players. It's become a political and social flash point. He's a villain in some eyes and a hero in others (who are misguided).

Now how 'bout a few paragraphs?

2012, Colin Kaepernick had a great first year at starting quarterback (QB) for the San Francisco 49ers. It was his second season (he played backup QB as a drafted rookie in 2011) and he got the starting gig because the starting QB Alex Smith went down with an injury. Anyway, he was the guy to watch. He was exciting and awesome. They almost got a Superbowl championship in his first year under center. They lost to the Baltimore Ravens. 2013, the 49ers had a pretty good showing in his second year as starting QB. They lost the NFC championship to the Seahawks. However, that was in his second year as starting QB. Past history. He fizzled out afterwards and was subsequently benched. In 2016, all of a sudden, out of the blue, he's noticed sitting during the national anthem. It's played before the start of all sporting events here in the US, and it's customary to stand for it, no matter where or who you are. I've never been out of the US, but I imagine it's the same all over the world with other countries and their national anthem. Anyway, a lot of people complain as it's a sign of disrespect to our flag and nation and to the men and women that have fought and paid the ultimate price for it. The media picks it up and it becomes a national talking point. He claims he's protesting police brutality and the so called "murder" of black Americans by law enforcement, which is a whole other issue that we can go on and on about (nope, 99% of the time, use of force was found to be justified). The protest and liberal media coverage of police shootings of black Americans have ultimately led to the Black Lives Matter movement. Again, a whole other topic. No one really knows what's going on in Colin Kaepernick's head, whether he's sincere or just digging for attention because he's not performing like he used to. The majority of other black players in the league and the media are running with it. So now a whole mess of players are disrespecting our nation and our flag and the men and women that have served in our armed forces, by kneeling for the national anthem or staying in the locker room. Since Colin Kaepernick's QB stats have dropped severely since his breakout season, no NFL team in their right mind will sign him, not with him sucking so hard at the position and all the baggage that he brings to the table. He's been an unsigned free agent since before the start of the 2017 season. Other players and the media are decrying this as racism, the fact that he can't get a job as a quarterback anymore. Now Nike has entered the social justice foray by giving Kaepernick a multi-million dollar endorsement deal, and talking shit about "his sacrifice" and "how he's suffered". The guy lived the American Dream and benefited from it, he's rolling in cash that he doesn't deserve, and it's a slap in the face of those that served our country, and a slap in the face of every hard-working American man and women that are even remotely patriotic. So yeah, fuck Nike. And fuck Colin Kaepernick. He's an ass.

Anyway, since the national anthem protests started up, there's a whole mess of people that have taken sides on the debate. Factions have developed and are basically at war with one another, figuratively speaking. Ultimately, the NFL's viewership has gone down, because football fans don't really care and don't tune in to the games to watch a protest. I know I'm not really watching anymore either. I'm not buying Nike sneakers anymore either. And I used to be a Nike kind of guy. I guess it's obvious where I stand on the whole shebang. Sorry if my summary comes across as a little biased and a little jumbled. I'm sure you get the general gist of it.

One other detail that you may be interested in: Colin Kaepernick had a multiyear contract with the 49ers and he opted out of it before the 2017 season. Technically speaking, it's his own fault he doesn't have a job.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 09-10-2018 at 09:54 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Pony (09-09-2018), RBP (09-10-2018), Teh One Who Knocks (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    I need new running shoes... I'm going to support this company by buying a pair of its shoes
    You can buy these shoes if you want. Nike's an American company and you're only giving your money to us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    One other detail that you may be interested in: Colin Kaepernick had a multiyear contract with the 49ers and he opted out of it before the 2017 season. Technically speaking, it's his own fault he doesn't have a job.
    He also turned down a contract offer from the Broncos during the offseason...pretty obvious why now. Can't play the martyr if you're on an NFL roster.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (09-10-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (09-10-2018), RBP (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Didn't know about that. And you're absolutely right.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oops, my bad, I misread the story from Elway's press release. It was in the 2016 offseason...but he was still unemployed at that time claiming that no one wanted to sign him. And I'm guessing this Nike campaign has been in the works since back then.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-10-2018)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Bought middle child a new pair of Adidas Saturday.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (09-10-2018), PorkChopSandwiches (09-10-2018), RBP (09-10-2018)

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    You can buy these shoes if you want. Nike's an American company and you're only giving your money to us.
    implying I give a fuck

#gokaepernick

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Long story short, Colin Kaepernick started the national anthem protests by black sports players. It's become a political and social flash point. He's a villain in some eyes and a hero in others (who are misguided).

Now how 'bout a few paragraphs?

2012, Colin Kaepernick had a great first year at starting quarterback (QB) for the San Francisco 49ers. It was his second season (he played backup QB as a drafted rookie in 2011) and he got the starting gig because the starting QB Alex Smith went down with an injury. Anyway, he was the guy to watch. He was exciting and awesome. They almost got a Superbowl championship in his first year under center. They lost to the Baltimore Ravens. 2013, the 49ers had a pretty good showing in his second year as starting QB. They lost the NFC championship to the Seahawks. However, that was in his second year as starting QB. Past history. He fizzled out afterwards and was subsequently benched. In 2016, all of a sudden, out of the blue, he's noticed sitting during the national anthem. It's played before the start of all sporting events here in the US, and it's customary to stand for it, no matter where or who you are. I've never been out of the US, but I imagine it's the same all over the world with other countries and their national anthem. Anyway, a lot of people complain as it's a sign of disrespect to our flag and nation and to the men and women that have fought and paid the ultimate price for it. The media picks it up and it becomes a national talking point. He claims he's protesting police brutality and the so called "murder" of black Americans by law enforcement, which is a whole other issue that we can go on and on about (nope, 99% of the time, use of force was found to be justified). The protest and liberal media coverage of police shootings of black Americans have ultimately led to the Black Lives Matter movement. Again, a whole other topic. No one really knows what's going on in Colin Kaepernick's head, whether he's sincere or just digging for attention because he's not performing like he used to. The majority of other black players in the league and the media are running with it. So now a whole mess of players are disrespecting our nation and our flag and the men and women that have served in our armed forces, by kneeling for the national anthem or staying in the locker room. Since Colin Kaepernick's QB stats have dropped severely since his breakout season, no NFL team in their right mind will sign him, not with him sucking so hard at the position and all the baggage that he brings to the table. He's been an unsigned free agent since before the start of the 2017 season. Other players and the media are decrying this as racism, the fact that he can't get a job as a quarterback anymore. Now Nike has entered the social justice foray by giving Kaepernick a multi-million dollar endorsement deal, and talking shit about "his sacrifice" and "how he's suffered". The guy lived the American Dream and benefited from it, he's rolling in cash that he doesn't deserve, and it's a slap in the face of those that served our country, and a slap in the face of every hard-working American man and women that are even remotely patriotic. So yeah, fuck Nike. And fuck Colin Kaepernick. He's an ass.

Anyway, since the national anthem protests started up, there's a whole mess of people that have taken sides on the debate. Factions have developed and are basically at war with one another, figuratively speaking. Ultimately, the NFL's viewership has gone down, because football fans don't really care and don't tune in to the games to watch a protest. I know I'm not really watching anymore either. I'm not buying Nike sneakers anymore either. And I used to be a Nike kind of guy. I guess it's obvious where I stand on the whole shebang. Sorry if my summary comes across as a little biased and a little jumbled. I'm sure you get the general gist of it.

Just caught up with this. Thanks man

Seems like Nike was either trying to make a political statement or are just plain stupid. (!) I'm a New Balance man myself, although their quality has dropped since they started to off-shore more aspects of their production. But that's a whole other story...