Thread: Judge lashes out at mum who told court her tearaway son was a ‘good kid’

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Anarchy Judge lashes out at mum who told court her tearaway son was a ‘good kid’

Zoe Drewett for Metro.co.uk

The 16-year-old (who cannot be identified for legal reasons) on a roof in Tuebrook, Liverpool,
    after a 100mph police chase in a stolen car with Jamie Carr, 20

An incredulous judge shouted at the mother of a teenager in court when she said he was a ‘good kid’.

The 16-year-old ‘tearaway’ led police on two high-speed chases, was involved in stealing eight cars from a depot and hurled bricks and tiles at officers from a roof when he refused to get down.

Judge Clement Goldstone, honorary recorder of Liverpool, told the woman her son also had an ‘appalling’ school record, and said: ‘Have you seen the number of times he’s been in trouble?’

The woman was ordered to appear at Liverpool Crown Court to explain her teenager’s behaviour before he was sentenced.

He asked her: ‘What do you think you might have failed to do as his mum that’s landed him in the mess he’s in now?’ the Liverpool Echo reports.

Judge Goldstone explained the ‘stark choice’ he faced, whether to send the boy to a young offenders’ institution or allow him to go home under supervision.

He told the mother he had to decide whether the boy had a better chance of growing up ‘as a law-abiding young man’ there or at home with her.

The boy – who cannot be named for legal reasons – admitted being carried in a vehicle taken without the owner’s consent.

Together with Jamie Carr, 20, he was involved in two high-speed chases with police on May 4 and 8, the first involving an Audi A1 taken from We Buy Any Car’s depot in Great Howard Street, Vauxhall, Liverpool, on May 4.

In total eight cars were taken from the depot.

Jamie Carr, 20, was jailed for 18 months for taking vehicles without consent, handling stolen
    goods, theft and possessing an offensive weapon

At around 11am on May 9, Carr and the boy were arrested in a street in Tuebrook, Liverpool, after a 13-hour rooftop stand-off with police.

The pair had climed onto the roof at 9.35pm the day before when witnesses said bricks and tiles were thrown down into the street below.

The boy’s mother told Judge Goldstone: ‘He normally lives with me. It’s just me and him. He’s a good kid.’

She added: ‘He’s a good kid to me. He got involved with the wrong crowd.’

The mother argued that she had ‘supported’ and ‘loved’ her son but the judge asked her: ‘Do you not understand why you are here?

‘Have you seen the number of times he’s been in trouble? Perhaps you’d like to think again.’

He revealed the mother was given an electronic tag for four weeks and a curfew for not sending her son to school, saying the boy had an ‘appalling’ attendance record.

She said: ‘I’ve tried my best with him’.

The woman added: ‘I will make him do what he’s got to do and I will do what I’ve got to do to keep him out of trouble.

‘His attitude has changed since he’s been in detention and he’s saying he wants to go to college and change.’

Eventually the judge sentenced the boy to a two year rehabilitation order and a six months 7pm – 7am curfew.

He must also see Judge Goldstone with his youth offender manager every month – which the judge said would be extended to every two months and then three ‘if you are improved in your behaviour and attitude’.

Jamie Carr, 20, of no fixed abode, admitted three counts of aggravated vehicle taking – involving being carried, dangerous driving and driving while disqualified – plus driving without insurance and criminal damage.

He was jailed for 18 months and banned from the road for two years and nine months.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts